Forums

can't decide which car to sell to make room for Model 3 AWD

can't decide which car to sell to make room for Model 3 AWD

i have a 2018 Camry SE and 2017 Subaru BRZ, will take delivery to M3 this December (fingers acrossed). i plan to sell one of those two cars now while daily drive the other until i get my M3. Each of those all have pros and cons, can't decide which one to keep alongside of Model 3. keeping the Camry for reliability in case M3 runs into issues (knock on wood X3), or keeping the BRZ as a weekend driver, but that means M3 gonna handle majority of the household duties. decision decision decision...

Teslafan87 | 18. Oktober 2018

I'd have the M3 be whichever car gives you the most use. Cheaper than fuel and lasts longer than ICE.

Xerogas | 18. Oktober 2018

@e46s54: no matter which one you keep, it will stay in the garage once you get your 3!

LT4BlueBird | 18. Oktober 2018

I absolutely love the look of the BRZ, I would have sworn up and down that would be my next car but then switched to the M3 obviously for multiple reasons but I would totally keep the BRZ. I was left with a similar choice with my BMW M Roadster and my BMW 328I Xdrive but the Model 3 AWD is so practical and fills in so many of the voids that my 328I filled that it was only practical is keep the unpractical fun car and get rid of the sedan.

e46s54 | 18. Oktober 2018

@It4bluebird, that's exactly the reason i'm thinking about keeping the BRZ. after i get the M3, the Camry just gonna be parked there eat dust. at least BRZ is fun enough to drive to server as a change of pace type of car when i miss driving the ICE car. but on the flip side, the BRZ is more costly to maintain and insure compare to the Camry and it also means M3 gonna be my full time grocery getter.

The Model 3 makes sense as a daily driver as Teslafan pointed out, the model 3 going to be less expensive on a daily basis than any Ice car and my plan is to use my Model 3 nearly 7 days a week and bring out my M Roadster when I want to do a burn out lol or be nostalgic, One of the biggest selling points on the Model 3 is the gas savings and autopilot/emergency braking ESC making it a safer more efficient commuter/daily use vehicle. Its your choice but to me its a easy one in your case. You see a Camry on almost every block (they are nice and all, and more sporty now) and the BRZ just looks bad ass and is fun to drive.

carlk | 18. Oktober 2018

You won't be needing the Subaru for weekend driver. The Model 3 is way more fun for that. I did not even want to take my Cayman S for weekend mountain drive after I got my S. You will not miss driving any ICE car.

007bond | 18. Oktober 2018

Xerogas | October 18, 2018
@e46s54: no matter which one you keep, it will stay in the garage once you get your 3!

This is the truth you just are not going to want to drive anything else.

@carlk ,I love my Model 3, its fun, its sporty, it handles amazing, its the most advanced car I have ever driven, its throws you in your seat WOT and there really is no downside on this car. Its perfectly rounded but and this is nothing negative about the model 3, there is something about driving a ICE sports car down a windy road (especially a stick) or even just screeching the tires in between shifts while hearing the motor scream that I would miss. Just don't need that every day as I am not a teenager anymore.

carlk | 18. Oktober 2018

@lt4bluebird Yes I have 6 speed in my Cayman S too. Not to mention the sweet flat six just inches from ears. Believe me you won't miss any of those soon you got taste of the instantaneous and linear torque of the electric motor. The ICE "sports" car feels pain to drive majority of situations. The only plus imo is if you do enjoy that painful experience that engine roars but car does not move (compares to the Tesla). Nothing 's wrong with that if it's what you want of course.

Bighorn | 18. Oktober 2018

A fairly likely outcome is that you'll want to drive neither, so I'd do whatever was most financially prudent since they both will continue to depreciate as you hold on to them. You'll probably have to prove that to yourself first before you take anyone else's word.

TranzNDance | 18. Oktober 2018

You'll miss the ICE the way you miss the dial-up modem tones and cigarette smoke (e.g., engine noise and exhaust fumes).

BRZ looks cute but is slow as balls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bgUHi9juZ0
You can always use Chill mode when you want to reminisce:)

carlk | 18. Oktober 2018

Lol...Exactly what I said engine roars but car does not move.

Magic 8 Ball | 18. Oktober 2018

You are considering the Camry as a backup but do not mention it as weekend driver. It sounds like your weekend driver is a red herring if your even considering the Camry.

If your "week end" requirements are limited and I seriously doubt you will need much "back up" both requirements are met by rental car/truck agencies. Sell both gassers and get two Tesla's. Get a RWD for daily use and have the P+ for weekend use and a backup. Rent vehicles you need other uses for that you only need once or twice a year.

h2ev | 18. Oktober 2018

I’d say the BRZ. As much fun as a Model 3 is even having no gears, the joy of working the stick shift can’t be replicated. I’m waiting for an AWD non P myself but I’ve been thinking to buy another stick shift car to go with it. I miss driving a manual so much.

Hey OP going by your forum name, where is your actual M3? I had an e39s62 myself ;) yeah my last manual car in 2003, it’s been that long.

Magic 8 Ball | 18. Oktober 2018

Lol, I thought the Subaru was a camping type weekend car. Scratch what I said about two cars. Sell both gassers. Use the extra money to upgrade to a P or P+. You will need nothing else.

Lots of former rabid 6 speed fans here who don't miss it at all. Regen is a pretty good substitute for downshifts.

e46s54 | 18. Oktober 2018

@h2ev, that was from my 2002 M3 coupe with smg transmission (believe 2002 was the first year they had those). still my favorite car until now, i hope the other M3 (Model 3) will supersede that soon.

efuseakay | 18. Oktober 2018

Sell both and get 2 M3s. ;)

carlk | 18. Oktober 2018

I've been driving manual shift sports or sporty cars exclusively for almost three decades. It's a necessity only because you need that to fix the dreaded shortcoming of the ICE. No idea what fun it gives you when you can have the dreamlike torque curve of electric motor. You have all the control without having to row the boat yourself AND not having what you need most the time. My Porsche felt so lame every time when trying to get out of the steep mountain curve. The Tesla is a breeze to do that.

jimglas | 18. Oktober 2018

sell them both and get 2 Teslas. We went from two CRV's to a MX and a M3

Jtwo | 18. Oktober 2018

When you get your M3, your ICE will feel old and antiquated. Once you go electric, it’s hard to go back.

d_v | 18. Oktober 2018

Sell the one that is worth more and keep the other as a beater to not worry about in walmart parking lots. You will not care about the BRZ ever again. If you can get to the pm3- do that, dump both and take a Bird to walmart.

gballant4570 | 18. Oktober 2018

You want to keep an ICE, like I did. It does not matter which one you keep - within a few days it will become a sluggish, undesirable turd. I keep telling myself that I will not salt up my M3 in the winter (and I won't) but the 4 wheeler truck I used to like so much is just another rust bucket now. It truly does not matter which one you pick, the result will be the same.

nwfan | 19. Oktober 2018

I have to echo what others have said.
My advice "keep the most financially prudent"
ICE car. You may end up having the new Tesla problem.
Fighting over who gets to drive the ICE instead of the model 3.

My experience since driving electric 2011.
I absolutely hate business trips. Do not look
forward to picking up ICE from the rental car company.
My reasons are:
Noise - can't hear radio or phone
vibration - whole car shakes
gas up the car - chance of having a drop get onto my hands
and smelling it the rest of the day
gas stations - prefer supercharger stops - relaxing at lunch / dinner
miss SC chats
acceleration sucks - no more launches
brake pedal - no more 1 pedal driving (have to relearn driving)
loss of EAP - stress goes up when I have to drive in stop and go traffic again
forget to lock the car when exiting
leave engine running when I do exit
exhaust fumes - also engine heat when parking in garage during hot months
I get out of the ICE in a foul mood. Ruins the trip for me

I sold my BMW in a New York minute after driving my 1st Model S.
Currently have 2 Tesla's in my garage. Only regret, no Tesla EV pickup truck yet.

nwfan | 19. Oktober 2018

Forgot a few more items.
Can't figure out how to use or operate all those
buttons and knobs in the cluttered interior.
How do I open get to the gas cap?
Nav screens if they have it, tiny.
So use to my 17" Model S and 15" Model 3 screens.

You might end up stretching the budget and going
all in on EV. I did as have others. Just saying...

wylkatz | 19. Oktober 2018

I got my M3 in May.

Haven't even driven my 350z three times since then. It's a six speed and a convertible. The M3 is just so fun and also so convenient for daily use.

disapr | 19. Oktober 2018

You 'might' take less of a hit selling the Subaru.

e46s54 | 19. Oktober 2018

my Subaru BRZ was modestly modded (now try say that 5 times straight). yesterday i swapped back on the stock wheels, exhaust and suspension. i drove to work this morning, i haven't felt this comfortable in BRZ since i first purchased it. the car is nimble and agile compare to my Camry by a mile. the car still has aftermarket header and custom tune, but now with the stock catback exhaust, it drives like an ultimate sleeper, still faster than stock BRZ but don't have to worry about loud exhaust sound attracting cops' attention, and stock suspension are way comfortable than my previous set up. i'm leaning toward keeping the Subaru at this point.

gballant4570 | 19. Oktober 2018

Believe me, after taking delivery your M3 will be your weekend driver.

Pepperidge | 19. Oktober 2018

Sell both. You will drive M3 daily including weekend.

Bob.Calvo | 19. Oktober 2018

While the BRZ is a nice car, once you drive the 3, you will find the BRZ redundant. I once had an MB SLK320, 6 speed for weekend fun and it just sat. YMMV.

Bob.Calvo | 19. Oktober 2018

Or you could have gotten rid of both cars and gone for the P3D+

LT4BlueBird | 19. Oktober 2018

lol and here I thought I was a Tesla fan boy. You guys don't even give a inch of credit to anything without a Tesla emblem on it. I love my AWD M3, don't want to give it up at all but I still enjoy driving other cars as well. This kinda reminds me of what happens with guys and there hard to get girl friends, anything/anyone that comes easy is treated with a grain of salt and after all the waiting and hoops to get a Model 3 that most of us if not all went thru this great break threw car turns into the god of all machines ever created and anything less should be cast into the fire pits of hell lmfao.

carlk | 19. Oktober 2018

What "other cars" do you mean. Like I said coming from a 6 speed mid-engine true sports car I can't see why one still wants to drive an ICE when you can drive a Tesla. How about drive a steam engine'd vehicle for even more fun?

jimglas | 19. Oktober 2018

I like not buying gas
Makes me a fanboy I guess

Xerogas | 19. Oktober 2018

For those who miss the sounds and effort of their old ICE cars, I'm beginning to see a market for a simulated shifter that fits into the Model 3 cupholder. It would be tied to the sound system (for making vroom vroom noises), and into the accelerator (for slowing down during shifting). Of course it would enforce chill mode as well.

Anyone want to create a Kickstarter? We could call it "The ICE Maker"!

@CarlK Wow!!!, Every week I drive Corvettes, Challengers , BMW M3's , Boxters,, Pretty much every model of Porsche, hell I even enjoyed driving a 01 Honda S2000 last week. It seems pretty vanilla to state I am good, no need to even drive or try to enjoy anything else from now on but if that's what you want. More power to you and I am happy for you. Again, comparing a steam engine to what else is out there is pretty strange to me but actually I would totally want to see what driving a steam powered vehicle is like. I Think it is weird if someone wouldn't lol, I don't know, I seem to be the minority , so I guess I am the strange one. To each there own. You guys must be right,.

I would also love to drive a stanley steamer. Saw one once, looked really cool.

PhillyGal | 19. Oktober 2018

@Bighorn's "slow as balls" comment is sort of why I didn't end up with a BRZ a few years ago. It's not that it was super slow but wasn't nearly as quick as its size/price combination should be.

But anyway - you won't need a weekend driver. You won't want to drive anything else ever again. Ditch whichever makes the most financial sense (eg: you can get more value out of now vs. holding.) Since the Camry is super practical and reliable, that's the one I'd keep if it were me.

@Jimglas, I in all seriousness would totally ride one of these around. I think anyone who wouldn't has let the kid inside die.
https://jet.com/product/Crazy-Coolers-BLUE-4Stroke-Motorized-All-Terrain...

What I need when I am playing soccer mom

@PhillyGal, stock BRZs are slow as snail, but mine is custom tuned with ACE header and flex fuel kit that runs E85, it puts down 200whp on that little car. i've spent a lot of time tuning it, it'll be sad to see it go. but on the other hand you're correct, Camry is super practical and cost less to maintain and insure.

FifthOnLeft | 19. Oktober 2018

@OP: Sell both and get a P+. Put it in Chill mode for normal daily driving and Sport Mode whenever you want. It's a no compromise vehicle.

carlk | 19. Oktober 2018

@lt4bluebird
***@CarlK Wow!!!, Every week I drive Corvettes, Challengers , BMW M3's , Boxters,, Pretty much every model of Porsche, hell I even enjoyed driving a 01 Honda S2000 last week.***

Why is that I don't think you have driven those cars? I even started to have doubts you own an M3 too. You sounded so much like those bragging teenagers whose only interaction with fast cars are posters on their bedroom walls.

^^^ here we go.. LOL, just relax everyone LOL

@CarlK, I posted up a complete vin for my vehicle in vin tracker thread, don't have anything to prove to anyone. I also have been in the auto field as a Technician then a Lead Tech, now a partner is my dealership. I can drive any car on our lot I want, its not bragging if its the truth. I just stated my opinion, if you don't like it so be it. I have better things to do with my time then to prove my legitimacy to a online forum member.

@CarlK
"What "other cars" do you mean. Like I said coming from a 6 speed mid-engine "TRUE SPORTS CAR" I can't see why one still wants to drive an ICE when you can drive a Tesla. How about drive a steam engine'd vehicle for even more fun?"

Btw, someone trying to knock all other cars as not being "true sports cars" cause they don't have a mid engined 6 speed Porsche should really look inside themself before pointing the finger at others calling them braggers or being cocky. Sorry you didn't get the response from me your where hoping, calling me a fake was a nice try back up plan though.

PhillyGal | 19. Oktober 2018

@e46s54 - Ahh, I see. Sounds like you built yourself a heck of a little car then. Since I wasn't going to tune after I ended up with a Hyundai Genesis Coupe at the time. 2012 2.0t version. Ended up having horrendous luck with it by chance and started hating it even more once I drove a Model S 1-2 days a week. The Hyundai days felt like punishment even though I know many folks would love to drive that.

carlk | 19. Oktober 2018

@lt4bluebird You're from a dealership? Is that a Chevy dealership, Dodge dealership, BMW dealership or Porsche dealership? No wonder. Now please go away.

BTW you still sounded like a teenager who got everything from reading car magazines.

Pages