Forums

TPMS alert

TPMS alert

So I had my tires/wheels changed at a local tire place today (swapped for winters). The old ones were 19 inch. The new ones are 18 inch. The new ones also have TPMS. But despite driving over 1 hour at highway speeds. The display still has an alert “Tire pressure needs service” Anyone else have this issue. I Have not tried calling Tesla yet.

gmr6415 | 28. Oktober 2018

Page 122 of the M3 Manual:

Replacing a Tire Sensor
If the Tire Pressure warning indicator displays
frequently, contact Tesla to determine if a tire
sensor needs to be replaced. If a non-Tesla
Service Center repairs or replaces a tire, the
tire sensor may not work until Tesla performs
the setup procedure.

TPMS Malfunction
Model 3 has also been equipped with a TPMS
malfunction indicator to indicate when the
system is not operating properly.
The TPMS malfunction indicator is
combined with the tire pressure
indicator light. When the system
detects a malfunction, the indicator
flashes for approximately one minute
after Model 3 powers on, and then
remains continuously lit. This
sequence continues upon
subsequent vehicle start-ups as long
as the malfunction exists. When the
TPMS malfunction indicator is on,
the system might not be able to
detect or signal under- and overinflated
tires as intended.

TPMS malfunctions can occur for a variety of
reasons, including installing replacement or
alternate tires or wheels that prevent the
TPMS from functioning properly. Always check
the TPMS malfunction indicator light after
replacing one or more tires or wheels on your
vehicle to ensure that the replacement tires or
wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function
properly.

Note: If a tire has been replaced or repaired
using a different tire sealant than the one
available from Tesla, and a low tire pressure is
detected, it is possible that the tire sensor has
been damaged. Contact Tesla to have the fault
repaired as soon as possible.

Zeus140 | 28. Oktober 2018

My TPMS indicated a low pressure warning. Then a number of additional warnings popped up, including ABS, and others, but the additional warnings did not remain visible. I restored tire pressure but the TPMS would not indicate tire pressures (I am guessing that I need to drive a while before it resets) A reset feature would be valuable!

Bighorn | 28. Oktober 2018

Model S has a reset feature. Haven’t looked for it in the 3. Before the reset feature, Tesla had to send a tool to my local tire place.

aslammazad | 28. Oktober 2018

Update: The TPMS reset by itself after 1 day. No worries!

[QUOTE="M falcon, post: 3157950, member: 73966"]So I had my tires/wheels changed at a local tire place today (swapped for winters). The old ones were 19 inch. The new ones are 18 inch. The new ones also have TPMS. But despite driving over 1 hour at highway speeds. The display still has this alert. Anyone else have this issue. I Have not tried calling Tesla yet.

[ATTACH=full]347732[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Nexxus | 14. November 2018

NTB just put on our winter "Blizzacs" and as a part of their service, they change out the TMPS gaskets a replace with new ones, just in case the older ones have dry-rotted.

mazers | 14. November 2018

I had a loaner tire put on this past weekend, and at first the car didn't register that tire. Then a message popped up that it recognized a new TPMS, and did I want to reset it (which I answered yes) . After that it registered the new tire. Tesla put my original back on Monday and I guess they went through the same procedure.

susancejka | 13. Januar 2020

tesla wants to charge me $864 to replace the tire sensor. does this sound right?

Bighorn | 13. Januar 2020

@susan
It may be the TPMS receiver in the car. Not the tire sensors. If you have Baolong, make sure you get upgraded to Conti. The entire job with new receiver and sensors ran $600 with labor. Will require different sensors but you’ll have individual readouts if you hadn’t before.