Forums

Why are people obsessed with vinyl records these days? Is it just a fad? Am I missing something?

Why are people obsessed with vinyl records these days? Is it just a fad? Am I missing something?

do you have yours?

funkyliam | 02. November 2018

There is some debate over the sound quality of analog vs. digital.
To make a CD, the master audio source is sampled at a rate of 44,000 times per second of music. The top of the human hearing range is slightly < half that, at around 20,000 hertz.
Theoretically, the CD format should capture anything the listener can hear, but some argue that certain high frequencies could be omitted, leaving a flatter sound. Personally, I have never been able to tell the difference. So if you have started considering of buying a turntable, you can take a look at this list https://audiogeekhub.com/best-turntable-scratching/, there are a bunch of those with a detailed review post for each one.

reed_lewis | 02. November 2018

Nothing to do with Tesla. flagged!

NoMoPetrol | 02. November 2018

@reed_lewis "Nothing to do with Tesla. flagged!"

Neither is most of the political drive that eventually appears on a lot of forum threads.

To the OP: I spent way too much money in my early adulthood on ways to enhance/protect my vinyl and maintain the best audio quality possible. When I did a comparison with a CD on one of my favorite LPs, I never looked back. People who are currently re-investing in the "warm" sound of an LP are doomed to listening to pops, crackles and the inevitable deterioration that comes from a sharp object carving up the groove of the LP every time it gets played.

I put my CDs on a USB drive for use in my S85 with the enhanced audio package and am hearing things I never heard before on a fairly high end stereo system. And that is despite the road noise and my 68-year-old eardrums.

NoMoPetrol | 02. November 2018

drive = drivel

ravisundaramam | 02. November 2018

NoMoPetrol, Monster Cable will sell you gold plated silver wire USB cable to get perfect sound in your digital system. Dont fall for this crap about digital has all zeros and ones, and there is no loss of quality.

When you use ordinary copper wire USB, the zeros will get squished and the ones will get slanted and slightly bent. With Monster Cable (R) ' unique patented design, and the superiority of the conduction research they deliver perfectly round zeros and perfectly straight ones.

jordanrichard | 02. November 2018

I am not an audiophile by any means, but I too have done a side by side comparison and I heard a difference. I played a given sound from a CD and then played in on vinyl without changing anything and the vinyl seemed to have more bass to it. Admittedly though, I had gotten accustom to just putting in a CD and walking away. With vinyl, particularly from the 70s, you had to come back and flip the record over after 15 minutes. An entire album is only about 30-35 minutes long. Where as a modern album can be double that.

Now as far as this having to do with Tesla, their was/is a band called Tesla....... ;-)

carlgo2 | 02. November 2018

High-end analogue audio was really interesting. This stuff could cost far more than a Tesla.

It is astonishing that jagged grooves in a plastic disk, in which a needle bounced around, could produce compelling sound. The grooves just couldn't be jagged to an extreme as even the most exotic needles couldn't track them and so the treble and bass was generally cut back. This is why records are described as smooth and warm.

Maybe I will take my record player and record collection out of the closet to astonish my kids.

DonS | 03. November 2018

A CD is more accurately faithful to the original source than a vinyl record. However, vinyl has some natural filtering that many people find pleasing. Even with CDs, unless you calibrate the listening level to the studio monitors, the CD is not an accurate reproduction of the original. (Human hearing has frequency sensitivity that varies with volume.)
Ultimately, people like what they like. I really do not like pops, which is my biggest complaint against vinyl.

ravisundaramam | 03. November 2018

DonS : Can we adjust the equalizer settings and make CD sound like vinyl? Or create a very specific frequency based gain adjustment to make it sound like vinyl? (And of course a check mark/button turn on/off the pops and squeaks)

Uncle Paul | 04. November 2018

For many, vinyl records produce a sound and experience that they became comfortable with many years ago.

The sound is different from a CD and that is where the interest lies.

There is also an engagement when playing vinyl. Selecting a LP from your collection, lifting and feeling the album cover while checking out the album art. Taking special care to only handle the vinyl from the edges. Sliding the LP out from the cover and taking a moment to check out the cleanliness of the disc. Perhaps taking a special cloth or brush to it to ensure a clean play.

You then need to fit it on the spindle of the player, very carefully lift and place the stylist needle onto the outside groove of the vinyl and wait for a moment for the needle to find the groove and engage the playing surface.

All part of the "groovy" feeling. You need to stay engaged, as soon the stylist will navigate its way to the end of the surface and disengage from the playing tracks. You will hear a familiar swisshing shound as the music stops and the needle begins to circle the unrecorded holding pattern.

Then you approach the spinning disk and decide to either flip it over and play the other side, (flip side) or carefully place it back into its sleeve and select another for your audio enjoyment.

It is overall a much more engaging experience than digital offers.

sbeggs | 04. November 2018

@Uncle Paul,
Exactly.

And I relish the extensive album notes, technical data, cover art, and the memories it brings back to me of all the things that were happening and that I was feeling at the time.

Still have my collection of Latin music from the seventies, and jazz, some rock.

SO | 05. November 2018

NoMoPetrol | November 2, 2018
@reed_lewis "Nothing to do with Tesla. flagged!"

“Neither is most of the political drive that eventually appears on a lot of forum threads.“

Well I would say a political outcome can directly affect Tesla via policy moreso than Vinyl records.

DonS | 05. November 2018

@ravisundaramam
There is an industry built around sound processing including equalizers and noise/pop reduction. Purists will point out that the result is not exactly the same as what the sound processing is trying to mimic, or that noise reduction also loses some of the desired sound. However, most people will say it is close enough. It is really hard to tell the difference between sources unless they are compared side by side, so slight variations are seldom noticed.

oragne lovre | 06. November 2018

@OP,
Thanks for posting this thread. I've just realized that I bought a high-end turntable to play some favorite 70s vinyls not long after I had got my first Tesla. Why? No idea.

ggendel | 07. November 2018

Keep in mind that today's recording industry compresses the hell out of it when creating a CD. I've gotten LPs that sound horrible and others that sound incredible. Most of the time it's because the engineers used the same compression on the LP that they did on the CD.

If done right, CDs and LPs can sound great. There will always be a sonic difference because of the RIAA equalization done in the LP recording process. I had a friend pick up a turntable, plug it into the aux inputs of his preamp and didn't understand why it sounded so tinny. Without a phono stage to reverse the RIAA equalization (and boost the output) it was comical.

If you really want to be wowed by what can be done with vinyl, look at the RCA videodisc technology. This created grooves so small that you could fit 50000 on the width of a dollar bill. Each track held a color horizontal scan, plus multi-channel audio. To do still frame, they used a kicker that would force the needle back one track during the vertical blanking period.

Another impressive feat was quadiphonic records. This packed 4 channels of audio in the grooves using 4 distinct axis decoding.

All this goes to show that frequencies much higher than 20k was possible as long as you could keep the needle in contact.

Something that you may not know is that recording engineers suggested the order of the songs. This was because you can pack more information on the outside tracks than you can on the inside ones. They usually put the softer tunes with less required dynamic range towards the center of the record.

Uncle Paul | 07. November 2018

I had two massages yesterday. One was done by a professional masseuse, the other by sitting in a automated massage chair. Illistrated some of the differences between vinyl and digital.

One is not better or worse than the other, but the feelings are different when played.

Captain_Zap | 07. November 2018

We just refurbished the old turntable and pulled out some pristine vinyl albums that are not available in any other format. Much of it is about lost music. Some of it is finally coming out on slacker though. Hello,Belfegore!

Dave Brubeck is best on vinyl because it sounds like it is from a fine nightclub with great acoustics. That's the warmth. Just my opinion.

Unfortunately my quad vinyl collection mysteriously disappeared.

sbeggs | 07. November 2018

@Captain Zap,
Agree with you about Dave Brubeck.
Take Five.

mike | 08. November 2018

As a collector with over 17,000 albums in my collection, I can tell you that my interest in vinyl has nothing to do with sound quality. The fact is, that thousands of my records have never appeared on CD and probably never will. Every day I enjoy obscure music from the Command Records series, the Warner Bros loss leaders, local radio station releases and countless others. It's a fun hobby, as long as you have the space!