Forums

Super charging speed

Super charging speed

when I get to a supercharging station it is always a crapshoot. Most of the time it will charge at over 300 mph. But sometimes it'll only get to 180 or 190 and is much slower. My solution is to move my car to a different charger . sometimes I have to move it more than once. Anyone know the rhyme or reason to this?

jjgunn | 04. Januar 2019

Many factors....

Are these the fully blown 120 kW SuCh? Or the Urban ones (72 kW)??

Is your battery cold? Limited brake Regen? If so, the battery charges much slower than usual until warmed up. It's protection. The car is very smart.

When arriving at SuperCharger, is battery less than 50%? It should be. Run the battery down to 25%-30% then hit the SuperCharger with a warm vehicle/battery.

COrich | 04. Januar 2019

To get full power you will also need to use a unit that is not currently shared with another charging vehicle. If you do end up at a shared charger (ie. 1A with 1B already in use) you will get lower power until the car in 1B is done charging.

Sam | 04. Januar 2019

yes fully blown 120
weather varies but the stations seem to have a mind of their own regardless of weather
yes always at less than 50% usually around 25%

Sam | 04. Januar 2019

thx corich that makes some sense

patswin | 04. Januar 2019

The above mentioned are definitely factors in amount of power you will get. There is also a lot of no rhyme or reason mixed in there as well from my experience.
For example in Atlanta I found a charger that consistently gave me a high rate of charge. I got there one time and took the second to last available stalls and still got over 300 mph charge to start. Last time I was there that same charger was very slow so I moved to 1a and had success. I was at 3a and no one was at 3b and there were only two other cars charging at the time.
In Greenville, Al. 1a worked great for me the first year and then suddenly not so much. Now I go to 3a as first choice. I am usually the only one there when I charge.
Despite inconsistencies though it seems to have very little affect on my overall charging time for the whole trip.

markcohen | 06. Januar 2019

It would have been very easy and EXTREMELY useful for Tesla to have put an indicator light on the charger. Something to the effect of blue - ready to charge at full power; green - ready to charge at 50% and will ramp up; yellow - ready to charge at 1/4 power; and red - not ready to supercharge. Doing something like that would be more future proof as it would be free from how superchargers are wired now or in the future and would be MUCH easier to use.

jjgunn | 06. Januar 2019

This morning - 46 degrees F outside. Limited brake Regen. Cranked up heater & seat heater on HI as I drive to SuperCharger about 8-9 miles away. Arrive at SuperCharger with 53% SoC still in limited brake Regen. Plug in & get "only" 38 kW to start charging. Bank of 19 SuperChargers. I'm the only one here. As car continues to charge, about the 65% SoC mark, I notice the charging speed at 58 kW. No more limited brake Regen. Takes about 40 minutes to go from 53% to 86% when I'm completed.

I purposely did this test to make this post as proof. Model X 100D. The car will always protect the battery pack which is a good thing. Charging a little bit slower is probably good for battery health too.

TeslaTap.com | 06. Januar 2019

@Sam - Lots of variables. My Supercharger Superguide answers all, hopefully :)

https://teslatap.com/articles/supercharger-superguide/

mbirnie51 | 07. Januar 2019

There is so much to consider to actually answer this question correctly. Assume a 6 station Super Charger that will have 3 circuits ( 1A & 1B; 2A & 2B; 3A & 3b). Each circuit is rated at the capacity of the Supercharger, typical of 75Kw or 120 Kw.

Yellow (I wish) MS P100D Tesla pulls in to empty SC (rated at 120Kw) after driving 150 miles and 20% left in battery, starts to charge on 1A, it will quickly ramp up to full 120 Kw (approx 480 miles per hour of charging). After reaching about 60% StateOfCharge it starts to gradually ramp down in total Kw rate of charge such that at 80% it will take 20 Kw and continue to reduce the Kw till fully charged to the set point.

Two minuets after a Blue MX 75D pulls in from traveling 125 miles (20% left in battery) and starts to charge on 2A, she will quickly ramp up to 94Kw (approx 300 miles of range per hour of charging). Your thinking WTF, but unless you have either the 90 Kwh or 100 Kwh battery, the design of the car limits the full charging capacity to the lower 94Kw. She's off to the Starbucks on foot for some coffee.

Two minuets later a newbie owner drives up in a Red MS 75D from traveling 150 miles with 20% left in his battery and starts to charge on 2B. Oh-oh...he doesn't yet know not to share the same circuit. Normally he would quickly ramp up to 94 Kw, but being on the same circuit, both 2A and 2B will only get approx 47 Kw each. Because they are both at relative same state of charge, both vehicles will share the total 94 Kw equally through out the charging session until the ramping down occurs near full charge. The Blue owner has checked her phone app and is wondering why her charge rate is so low....she has now plenty of time to drink her coffee and read the paper, because what should have taken 50 minuets will now take 1 hour 30 mins.

Now if the Red Tesla pulled in the SC 45 minuets later and still started on 2B, the Blue car would have ramped down to the trickle level of 20 Kw, and the Red car would ramp up to approx 70-75 Kw rate of charge. The Blue charging session will last about 55 mins, but the Red car may take about 1 hour 5 mins.