Forums

Front end crash- MX

Front end crash- MX

I crashed my MX into the car in front of me who slammed in the brakes. No collision warning light went on before, during or after the crash. Mind you, I was going slow, making a right hand turn onto a busy highway. The car in front of me accelerated to turn and I did too. Only then the car in front slammed on the brakes. So, unfortunately, my car hit the car in front of me. No one was hurt and I am thankful for that. However, I am concerned that the collision alert did not seem to work and the AEB also did not kick on. The airbags did not deploy, but there was a crash and some significant damage to both cars. I would have thought some sensor somewhere should have worked. Has anyone experienced something similar?

avesraggiana | 13. Januar 2019

In your instance, I'm not sure. Latterly in a software update, Tesla did include an impending collision warning system but if I remember correctly, it only activates if your car is moving at speeds higher than 25 mph.

Good luck with getting your X repaired. From a standstill, my dad crashed my mum's Model X into a garage wall, and all the airbags DID deploy. No one was hurt, thank God, but two walls were pretty much destroyed as were a washer and drier.

At $65,000 and counting repair cost estimate, my mum's Model X was totalled. In retrospect it was just as well it was totalled. We were warned by the Tesla authorised auto body shop that it would have been at least six months before we ever got that car back. It took us two months to take a delivery of a brand new replacement Model X.

lilbean | 13. Januar 2019

AEB won't kick in if you were already going slow.

georgehawley.fl.us | 13. Januar 2019

Page 114 of Model X Owners Manual: , Warning: Forward Collision Warning operates only when driving between approximately 7 mph (10 km/h) and 90 mph (150 km/h)."

7 mph is fast enough to cause some relatively minor damage but may not be enough to activate air bags. (I accidentally backed into a Lexus RX as I was backing out of a parking space when he tried to slip past me.). No damage to my rear bumper but $600 worth of dents in the side of the Lexus. Maybe 2 mph.

Page 41 of Model X Owners Manual :
"Front airbags are not ordinarily designed to inflate in rear collisions, rollovers, side collisions and when braking heavily or driving over bumps and potholes. Likewise, front airbags may not inflate in all frontal collisions, such as minor front collisions, underride collisions, or impacts with narrow objects (such as poles or trees). Significant superficial damage can occur to the vehicle without the airbags inflating and, conversely, a relatively small amount of structural damage can cause airbags to inflate. Therefore, the external appearance of the vehicle after a collision does not represent whether or not the front airbags should have inflated."

abbfabb36 | 13. Januar 2019

Thanks all.. this information is very helpful and much appreciated. I think I was going over 7 mph but can’t say for certain. I will call the authorized Tesla body shop tomorrow ..I’ll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Vawlkus | 14. Januar 2019

Tesla’s are good at reading what’s right ahead of them. Where you were turning, the radar and forward camera wouldn’t have had clear lines of sight I think.
That _might_ help explain why there was no AEB or braking warning. Doesn’t explain the airbags, but as others have said, the speed may not have been high enough to trigger them.