Forums

Rear View Camera Not working

Rear View Camera Not working

All of a sudden my Rear view camera stopped working. I just get a blank white screen when i reverse the car. also i tried turning on the camera through the dashbaord and i get a white screen. Tried rebooting no luck!! anybody has experienced this issue?

jimglas | 31. Januar 2019
mathwhiz | 31. Januar 2019

Also try a power off reset

kesari1 | 01. Februar 2019

Reset did fix the issue. Thanks Mathwhiz

Michael.sheidow | 22. Februar 2019

My rear view camera is Black this morning. Everything worked fine yesterday. Tried rebooting the car twice but nothing improved.

JSHALABY | 26. Februar 2019

Same for me. Just happened today. I guess I'll take it in. Pretty annoying for a new , expensive car.

JSHALABY | 26. Februar 2019

Same for me. Just happened today. I guess I'll take it in. Pretty annoying for a new , expensive car.

Rumi11 | 26. Februar 2019

From what I know, a manual reset is the way to go. If that doesn't work, then call tech support.

jimglas | 27. Februar 2019

troll flagged

matangehome | 09. April 2019

My Model S bought in September 2018 is also showing the white screen problem. Happens often after simply parking the car for a short while and restarting. Needs a full reset (brake and 2 scroll wheels) to correct. Have to do this multiple times a day - not good. Interestingly, this does not happen on my Model S bought in March 2018. Technician says this is a known issue for newer cars, something about using an Atom processor instead of Intel. Said this would be fixed in a new update. But, two updates later (2019.8.5 3aaa23d), it still happens.

nsher | 11. April 2019

2018 Model S 75 D delivered in December 2018 has same rear camera issue. It happens randomly after the car is parked, sometimes daily and getting worse. . It is usually a white screen but occasionally all black. It restarts after a dual scroll wheel reboot.

manojamin | 15. April 2019

I just faed the same issue on my model-3. None of the camera related features work anymore (no rear view, no smart cruz and not autopilot at all!) Anyone has idea on how best to get this fixed?

carlacobb | 29. April 2019

Tesla doesn’t seem to attach much significance to this issue, despite the fact that it’s been going on for months. It’s crazy that i have to reboot my car in order to use the backup camera. If it only takes a software fix, then get the damn update out! This is incredibly annoying!

chris | 29. April 2019

I had exactly the same problem today. For a couple of hours, no cameras, no cruise, no lane markings, no autopilot. I rebooted several times, nothing. Chat support basically told me to power off, wait 2 minutes, turn it back on, if that didn't work, I had to make a service appointment. So after that didn't work, I made a service appointment (for 3 weeks from now). Went back to the car after it sat for about 3 hours in the garage and it was working again.

chris | 29. April 2019

I hit post a bit too soon on that and left out some details. I landed here from a web search and didn't pay attention to which forum it was, so it may be worth noting that mine is a Model 3, so this problem is not model specific. Software version 2019.8.5 3aaa23d.

Also also, I did remove the USB stick before trying any of this, since I've seen some speculation that the dashcam feature has been interfering with the cameras. In this case, that didn't fix it. It just fixed itself after a long time.

Enzodriver | 30. April 2019

Same is happening to my X, seemed to start after latest update 2 weeks ago.
Reset works for short time only.
The rear view camera is a safety asset and missed when not working but these things happen, guess i'll revert to the stone age way and use the rear view mirror

sweets123 | 30. April 2019

we bought a new Model S, December 2018 and within 10days I started having same issues with the camera. Suddenly turns white and after soft reset comes back but the issue is persistent till now. Tesla doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. Very frustrated with this problem. Does anybody have any updates?

sweets123 | 30. April 2019

Can Tesla be sued for this?

coolboii | 30. April 2019

Same happens here. A simple restart does the trick on each drive. This started happening on the recent 2019.12 update for my Model S.

Vawlkus | 01. Mai 2019

Can you be sued for wasting my time sweets123?

sweets123 | 01. Mai 2019

who are you Vawlkus? and why are you here wasting our time

nodejsquiz | 02. Mai 2019

The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing
https://webnovel.online

Vawlkus | 02. Mai 2019

I’m a Model X owner of over two years whose fed up of idiots wanting to sue at the drop of a hat.

Grow up kid.

jimglas | 02. Mai 2019

Because the cars are so good, the recent FUD seems to be: Service was bad or camera wasn't working, Im going to sue. Or some such nonsense.

chioux744 | 06. Mai 2019

Just took car May 4, 2019, rear camera not working. W

luyong | 14. Mai 2019

Got Model 3 4 weeks ago, hit this issue. It took 1 second for rear camera changed from working to all black screen, switched multiple times between D and R to try to fix it, but no luck. Finially parked, D further, then R for the back screen issue be fixed. Hope Tesla fix this bug.

dgilbertdds | 20. Mai 2019

Since backup camera is a common Model S problem, instead of us venting on this forum sight who can we contact at Tesla to get it corrected besides the typical customer support email?
If enough people complain directly to Tesla corporate maybe they will do something without it hitting the press.

davidwmcculloch | 28. Juli 2019

Just bought a model 3 yesterday....experiencing the same problem already. Incredibly disappointing to see this problem happening for months and months to other owners with no obvious fix except for a reboot.

RedD M3 | 17. August 2019

Bought a model 3 in May 2019 and experiencing the same problem. Backup camera goes black all of a sudden Very very disappointing with Tesla service center Tyco rd Tyson’n corner. First time I took appointment and gave my vehicle to service department in June. They said they fixed the issue. I drive the car back home and very next day same issue repeated when I contacted customer service they simply suggested to take a service appointment. I had no choice Took the first available appointment for July 31st. Dropped the car at Tyco service and keep following up with service manager for almost everyday. Their response time is awe full. Finally I got message saying “Hi, we are still working with engineering. At this point, I am OK with releasing the vehicle back to you while we keep working on the backend. There was nothing abnormal found in terms of the hardware or wiring. If you are OK with this, you can come pick up the vehicle and I can keep you posted. What would you like to do? -Xyz”

So I needed car I took the car back yesterday and the issue is not fixed. Very disappointing and if any of you having similar issues and fixed it please help me to fix mine. Appreciate if any suggestions to help me get fix the issue. what should I do.?

george | 27. August 2019

Nice post. Thanks for sharing such a good article, which is really very explanation about topic.
see: https://liteblue.run

menvat | 08. September 2019

Good post. The selection of your topic is good. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Even am waiting for more updates......

https://www.chuckalek.com/talktowendys/

jimglas | 08. September 2019

why is this thread a spam magnet?

johnken | 10. September 2019

Nice post and thanks for sharing the useful information. I like it. https://tellthebell.ninja

alberic777 | 18. September 2019

I just encountered the same problem for the first time with my year and a half old Model 3. I have not been able to make it work yet.

curdcynthia1 | 24. September 2019

I just faed the same issue on my model-3. None of the camera related features work anymore (no rear view, no smart cruz and not autopilot at all!) Anyone has idea on how best to get this fixed? https://www.talktowendys.website/

tanvika | 26. Oktober 2019

If either problem is occurring, it means the camera or monitor fuse is blown. Typically the fuse box location is under the steering wheel. ... Once the fuse is in place and you power on the vehicle, the backup camera should work properly.

>> https://www.tsanj.org/bluchew-review/

lisbonbrown | 10. November 2019

Picked up my new model 3 on Friday and now returning from down south no reversing camera and soft reboot hasn’t helped. Have others found a hard reboot does trick?

tanner3068 | 13. November 2019

My backup camera went "black screen" yesterday right after the 2019.36.2 update. No reboot sequence seemed to fix this. I used the car all day long yesterday and drove about 200 miles with 25% of it in city. I plugged it in at 11:45 last night and checked it one last time and still black. I sent in a but report using the audio button yesterday afternoon about the loss of video to the backup camera.

This morning I went out to check and the camera is working normal this morning. I still have 2019.36.2 software, so I am assuming that a minor fix happened overnight that is not tracked in the version maybe?

synthlight | 13. November 2019

Same issue for me. 2019.36.2.1 as of 2 days ago. M3P and the rear view camera worked this morning. Supercharged, drove home, parked it for 2 hours and it now only shows black on the screen with the white parallel path lines. I have tried rebooting from the steering wheel and powering off from the car -> safety & security menu to no avail. I have filed a bug report but also noticed that Teslafi showed 2019.36.2.2 in the wild as of a few hours ago.

julian | 15. November 2019

The same here, 2019.36.2.1, after 2 days shows black, reported the bug at noon 11.15.19

cx10 | 17. November 2019

The same here, 2019.36.2.1, after 3 days shows black screen with white guidelines. Soft reset several times did not solve the problem.

cx10 | 17. November 2019

Car woke up from "sleep". The camera is now back to life. I wonder if "sleep" and "wake-up" cycle is what is needed to reset the camera.

budden | 20. November 2019

Same issue here. Black screen for a day now. 2019.36.2.1. No amount of resetting/sleeping works.

nrao | 07. Dezember 2019

Model X 2016, AP1. Frequent frozen / black backup camera. Rebooting helps, but annoying. Happened countless times. No help from the sc or Tesla.