Forums

"Standard Battery available in 4-6 months"

"Standard Battery available in 4-6 months"

Since it's been showing that for 6 months in my configuration page, does it mean I traveled back in time?
Am I 6 months younger?

Anyone has newspaper so I can check the date?

CharleyBC | 07. Februar 2019

ELON time = Early, Late Or Now.

EVRider | 07. Februar 2019

It will probably say the same thing 6 months from now. :-)

coselectric | 07. Februar 2019

Meanwhile, here in Colorado you can actually buy a Model 3 with a mid-range battery for $34,150 after federal and state tax credits. Crazy.

Tuning In | 07. Februar 2019

You know what they say about a watched pot never boils. Likewise it may come to be if you stop checking and asking.

kevin_rf | 07. Februar 2019

They never dropped a damaged lithium ion in battery in one.

BumblebeEV | 07. Februar 2019

You know what they say about Tuning In posts, they jam the toilet those big old turds

because it’s the first time I log in configurator in 6
months

Tuning In | 07. Februar 2019

All I can say is that it sucks to be you. No humor and no car.

Teslanene | 07. Februar 2019

Does anyone know how long is the reservation list? Last time I heard close to 400k but that was before the mid-range came out.

BumblebeEV | 07. Februar 2019

I don’t know what humor is, I went to school to learn to write properly

007bond | 07. Februar 2019

The standard battery has been showing 4-6 months since as I remember Sept 2017 at least that is how it was in my account. Now that I have the LR I would never buy the SR unless I wanted a city car only. Also with cold weather really cuts down on the range. I am so glad to have the LR in many ways. I do get it some ppl just only need the SR if that's you well 4 to 6 months, the question is when with they start that timer. Because until that 4-6 month time starts you are in perpetual waiting........

mz76 | 11. Februar 2019

My guess is as follows: SR available right before Q3, sometime in May. Tesla updates website around March/April. Only PUP at first, then standard interior to follow in Q3. This will prevent many people on the reservation list from ordering, so TESLA is not bombarded with deliveries before Q3, and people can take advantage of the $3750 tax credit. I, myself, am waiting for SR with AWD. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be available until Q3 or Q4.

jordanrichard | 11. Februar 2019

Teslanene, it is nowhere near 400K anymore, but Tesla is not saying. I am certain enough to say that there is still thousands upon thousands of people waiting on the standard range battery. I suppose one could go to the latest earnings report and look at the amount of money Tesla has on hand for deposits and come up with a rough estimate from that.

andy.connor.e | 11. Februar 2019

In the time it takes for them to actually get standard battery to market, you could save enough money to get the mid-range. Also, by the time standard battery actually gets to market, all the financial incentives will be gone. I'd take it as it is, because after all the financial incentives TODAY, the mid-range is practically the standard range without incentives.

SO | 11. Februar 2019

andy.connor.e
+1

TeslaTap.com | 11. Februar 2019

Standard range delivery has little to do with time. It has to be profitable for Tesla to sell them. When the costs come down to a point when Tesla can make a profit, they will start making them available. Selling a high-volume product at a loss is a sure way to go out of business.

billlake2000 | 11. Februar 2019

I want a range of 5 to 6 hundred miles. I dream big.

inconel | 12. Februar 2019

A 2020 Roadster is waiting for you big dreamer ;)

inconel | 12. Februar 2019

It does have a range of 600+ miles

jordanrichard | 12. Februar 2019

You can easily get 500 miles from a LR Model 3. Emphasis on "easy" meaning go really, really easy on the accelerator, in FL, when it's 75 degs out, no AC going, tire pressure to the max and going only 25 mph on an absolute flat road.

ODWms | 12. Februar 2019

There are videos out there of guys getting 600 miles with that method. Amazing.

Rt002k | 12. Februar 2019

Most boring 600 miles ever.

Mike UpNorth_ | 12. Februar 2019

haha - true that!

Mike UpNorth_ | 12. Februar 2019

@rt002k

kevin_rf | 12. Februar 2019

I want 600 miles range driving in the winding hills of WV doing 80+ in the middle of winter on autopilot with a trunk and frunk full of gear.

ODWms | 12. Februar 2019

And that you shall have. Patience, my friend.

geedub1023 | 12. Februar 2019

@EVolution I too have been waiting "4-6 months" forever for the standard battery version but you know what? I just found and bought a 2018 Model 3 Rear Wheel Drive, Long Range Battery (310 miles) with 4K miles on it that was for sale for less than $45K. If you do the math, $35K (standard battery version price) + your add on options (vehicle color, 19 inch wheels, premium package, etc.) you will easily surpass what I just paid for this slightly used Model 3. Plus, the standard battery will provide less range (220mi vs 310mi) that what I just bought. Yeah, I didn't get the tax break (now at $3750) but I figured that will probably be completely gone by the time the "4-6 months" actually materializes...if it ever will! My Model 3 is now in the garage...happy I moved on to a different buying strategy!

Teslanene | 12. Februar 2019

@geedu1023 how much did you save or lose by not buying new last year with the $7500 credit?

beaver | 12. Februar 2019

I am glad I bought my LR RWD with premium interior (PUP) last year. What I really wanted was LR with standard interior. But today the standard interior is not available yet, and you can’t even buy a LR RWD today. Hopefully they bring that longest range model back!

My advice is to go for it when you can’t wait any longer. If you are getting by ok and don’t feel the tug then sit tight, you might get what you want later, or not.

kevin_rf | 13. Februar 2019

@Teslanene

Along with the tax credit, don't forget to factor in the savings on gas over the period of buying earlier. Driving 30k a year, probably $200 a month for me over a conventional car, but coming from a Prius, about $100 a month. Since delivery, that is six months of savings.

geedub1023 | 13. Februar 2019

@Teslanene

It was about about $500 less to buy it now. I actually saw the Tesla Sales Sheet which showed:

$35K - Model 3
$9K - Long Range Battery
$5K - Premium Upgrades
$1K - Paint
$1K- 19in wheels
$1K- Destination & Doc Fees
These add up to $52,500 and if you subtract the $7500 credit = $45,000. I paid $500.00 less which I saw as a great deal even though the car has 4K miles on it.
By the way, I still have my reservation number for a new Model 3. I haven't requested a refund on my $1K yet...I'm waiting to see what happens (lower/higher price than $35K for standard battery? standard battery ever going to be delivered? etc. etc.).

Sorry....$1500 for 19in wheels not $1000

M3BlueGeorgia | 13. Februar 2019

@geedub1023

You currently cannot that precise configuration (LR+RWD), only (MR+RWD)

beaver | 13. Februar 2019

@geedub1023
Any idea why the car was sold by previous owner? Wanted the P3D? Didn’t like it?

@M3BlueGeorgia You are correct. The original owner bought it last year when the LR+RWD version was available. As I mentioned, I bought it used with 4K miles on it.

@epostby The previous owner told me he already had a Model S and liked it better than his new Model 3. Must be nice to have choices! LOL By the way, I was more than happy to take it for that price!

My main point on this subject was to tell those who are currently waiting for the $35K standard battery configuration to possible consider buying a slightly used Model 3....if the price and options are right for you. I found my 2018 Model 3 on the website called onlyusedtesla.com. I hope this helps!

Teslanene | 13. Februar 2019

With the recent price drops and incentives it still makes sense to buy new, unless you get a crazy deal on a use one. I could probably get a NEW MId-range cheaper than a use one.

M3phan | 16. Februar 2019

With all the talk on threads about range variables on long trips, I am super glad I got the LR battery. I’d be willing to pay another $5K for an additional 300 miles on top of that. It’s simply worth it to me. Unless it’s only for around now town, I can’t see owning a standard range. (And even then with potential variables esp in a big city? No thanks.)

kevin_rf | 16. Februar 2019

Agreed 100%, 300 miles should really be the min anyone puts in an electric vehicle. Would have definitely paid another $5k for the extra 100 miles an additional 25kwh would have bought me.

We should take better on when 100 kwh becomes the standard. I say, less than 10 years, maybe even 5.

BumblebeEV | 16. Februar 2019

Well Kevin

I live 10 miles away from work
40 miles from our country house
and I commute 70% of the year during winter season.
The car is just to bring the kids to the arena when they can’t use their bike and to get out of the town for a bicycle ride.

I never use my car for more than 60 miles straight. So why not leave those extra lithium ion batterie cells for another battery back instead of transporting them uselessly for 10 years?

vicmgvaz | 16. Februar 2019

kevin_rf: You are right.
300 miles / 500 km is the goal for every EVs, based in real owners data (I readed in arthicle a couple months ago).
Meanwhile, I will be very happy with my M3 SR (here in Europe), probably end of this year :S

vicmgvaz | 16. Februar 2019

EVolution: It's a good point. Efficiency in what we buy is logical.

But some times all we do road trips, and stopping each 200 miles could not be nice. And have a car at home with no way to go away in a emergency situation may not be confortable for everyone...

Lonestar10_1999 | 16. Februar 2019

If you have a two or more car household you can handle any situation if one car is an ICE. I will trade in my Prius when the SR version becomes available, but we will keep my wife’s Camry as our second car.

The SR will be my commuter car and the Camry hers. For long road trips the Camry will be our first choice. When you think about it, an EV is less efficient than an ICE for long road trips. Not only does the ICE require fewer and shorter fuel stops, the EV might have to drive further to include the recharge station on the route.

The bottom line is that the SR makes sense if you don’t need it for every driving need

BumblebeEV | 16. Februar 2019

I have 4 preschool aged boys, 10 months, 2 y.o, 4 y.o and 5 y.o
we don’t do road trips anymore, we live 10 miles always from the airport. The Montreal-Florida 2700km journey was happening when we had no child. Nowadays it would be a nightmare. And I can rarely take more than 1 week off straight at work without putting too much pressure on my collegues with calls.

@EVolution, all I can say is must be nice. Work is 45 miles each way, wife's work is 20 miles in the other direction, living on one side of a large regional school district that includes five towns and is 30 miles across, 150, 180 miles in a day is not unusual. Then throw in all the extra appointments for the kids we provide foster care and those miles really as up (all usually 30 miles south of us). It's why I never looked at the leaf, it couldn't do my regular commute, much less everything else. Even with the 310 mile LRB, I have had to supercharge more than once just to make it through the day. Many of us in rural areas really do drive all those miles and 300 miles can be quite limiting, especially in cold weather.

Today isn't a work day, but arrived home with only 30% battery left, mall, movies, dinner with family, it just added up. I would pay for the extra range of a 100 kwh battery in the model 3.

Btw. Just did a 400 mile each way work trip DC. Three stops on the way down, two on the way home. Really don't see a continued need for an ICE. The only thing that would give me range anxiety is a trip into WV that still has a death of public chargers in the Spruce Knob, Senica Rocks, Elkins, Moorefield, Petersburgh area.

BumblebeEV | 17. Februar 2019

here in Montreal you can easily live without a car.
Subway is half a mile away
Rink and arena are from walking distance.
Anytime I go out, I travel on subway and come back running or there is bikesharing system which is really easy to use.

We are really lucky on how it was developed on a European model. Every time I travel to Florida, I realize how impossible it would be to function without a car. Just 2 different urban development.

WantMY | 20. Februar 2019

So Musk admitted Tesla should build base $35K model as demand for expensive ones dried up. The next thing he does - he fired assembly workers and got rid of any references to base $35K model from Tesla web site. Do not bet your house on base model, it is not coming any time soon, if ever. lol

minervo.florida | 20. Februar 2019

The current $42k car now will be MUCH better than any $35k car. The missing premium features that will be removed will make the car too bare and a poor example of what Tesla builds.

"The current $42k car now will be MUCH better than any $35k car."
I am sure: "The current $42k car now will be MUCH better at $35k."

Another twist to this story:
"In his report on the removal of base Model 3 info from the website, Electrek’s Lambert quoted a tweet from Musk from early February that said the base Model 3 will cost $35,000 after incentives. But the company had initially said it would cost $35,000 before incentives, again sparking worry."
I think Musk is correct base model indeed will cost $35,000 after incentives. The irony about this statement though - incentives are going to be ZERO very soon. Dang it, so he is still on the hook to deliver this illusive $35K model. lol

Pages