Forums

EV charger life span?

EV charger life span?

Mates,

I got a Cadillac branded Bosch hard-wired charger with my first EV 6 or 7 years ago. I use it once or twice a week now on my MS, and it is faulting frequently- throwing the internal breaker on start up, requiring a manual reset. It is not disturbing any circuit breakers in my breaker box, and is on a separate circuit providing 30 amps at the unit.

I can't find any data as to the life expectancy but this one has outlived its warranty so maybe that is the answer.

Has anyone else "worn out" a charger?

TIA.

stevenmaifert | 07. Februar 2019

Never experienced a "worn out" a charger". It sounds like the initial surge of current when you plug in is causing the internal charger breaker to trip, but it's not enough to trip the breaker in the breaker box. What you might try doing is reducing the current setting on the charging touch screen to 15 amps or less, and if the charger tolerates the ramp up when you plug in, increase the the current back to the max rating for the charger.

rxlawdude | 07. Februar 2019

I had a Clipper Creek HCS-40 EVSE go south on me, which was quickly replaced under warranty. When I was researching EVSEs back in 2014 (prior to my first Tesla), I read about frequent failures from some brands, and Bosch was one of those.

So yes, they can and do fail. I would still get a Clipper Creek over any other brand out there, including a Tesla Wall Charger, when it's time to "daisy chain" a second so we can charge both cars overnight without an early morning visit to the garage to swap the cable.

TeslaTap.com | 07. Februar 2019

If you're using 40 amps or less, why not dump the ESVE and just stick in a NEMA 14-50 plug (or appropriate for the current you're using)? Can't think if any value of the ESVE with the Tesla, but perhaps you use that on another EV?

Here's a list of the outlets and current carrying capacity of each outlet: https://teslatap.com/articles/home-charging-wiring-guide/#connectors. I do recommend you get a industrial grade outlet if you go this route.

dougk71 | 07. Februar 2019

A ground fault sensor is present during connection. Now the sensitivity can vary. EV charging is usually around allowing 20ma before tripping the relay. The breaker in the mains box most likely isn't a ground fault type so it will stay connected. A mains box ground fault breaker will break with much less than 20 ma. The ground fault EV external charger looks at the current differential between L1 and L2 of the 240v AC supply.

Aerodyne | 07. Februar 2019

TT - excellent page on your site. Tesla should link to it!

rxlawdude | 07. Februar 2019

That's fine if you want to use the Mobile Connector. I prefer keeping that in my trunk. ;-)

evenikiforova1982 | 07. Februar 2019

A sensor is present during connection.Now that sensor carries negligible amount of current, due to which sensitivity may vary.PS ground faults sensors are not sensible enough so they remain connected to man box breakers.The only solution i see to is that you should reduce https://mykfcexperience.website the amount of flowing current to reduce sensitivity of ground fault sensor.Or else just dump that ESVA and move to something like Neva.Regards.

reed_lewis | 08. Februar 2019

I had a Siemens 30 Amp EVSE that failed one day where it would activate the power to the plug whenever power was applied to the unit. It was replaced under warranty.

So like any other electronic device, an EVSE can fail.

Sefar | 08. Februar 2019

Thanks to all. Like most electrical issues with intermittent faults, it is maddening to try to diagnose! I have tried reducing the amp draw at the vehicle with moderate success. I cant go to a dedicated Tesla charger because my son uses my charger for his Volt and i have my eye on the Rivian electric pickup.

TeslaTap.com | 08. Februar 2019

@Sefar - Before you toss the EVSE, either have an electrician or yourself if you feel qualified:

1) Turn off the breakers that power the EVSE, open it up and check that the power lines going into it are camped/screwed securely (i.e. tighten the screws). So many problems are created by just these loose connections.

2) Check the connections at the breakers - perhaps one wire is loose going into the breaker. Again, tighten down the screw for the breaker.

rxlawdude | 08. August 2019

Friggin spammer and douchebag flagged. @elanjuli11

RandallKeith | 08. August 2019

Flagged