Forums

Tesla owes me a refund and I have not seen it, going on 3 months

Tesla owes me a refund and I have not seen it, going on 3 months

I bought a used S on 12-14-18 for cash off the online site. When the car was delivered, it had obvious body damage and was for lack of a better word, wonky. I called the dealership and told them I was not going to keep it. On 12-16-18 I returned the vehicle to them.
After giving it some thought, I decided to splurge on a new vehicle. The following week I made a deposit on a new S and then paid cash in full when it was delivered. The problem is that I still have not received my initial money from the used S despite many attempts to get it back. I have recently hired a lawyer to help with the refund but I thought I would ask on here if anyone had any insight onto how to get the money back?

Thanks-

Crash

p.s it is about 48k or so.

lsw321 | 04. März 2019

Interestingly, it is still on my account here......

RedJ | 04. März 2019

How far up the chain of management have you gone when speaking to Tesla?

SO | 05. März 2019

Do you have a Tesla account page? Try escalating a concern from there.

SoCal Buzz | 05. März 2019

So you paid cash for new car, when Tesla owed you 48K? Unwise with any company. Anyway, I’m not sure how Tesla manages the return policy and what you have in writing. But you are working in one of Tesla’s weak spots in terms of coverage and timely response (account mgmt, finance setup, registration changes, etc.). It’s most likely an administrative issue that requires escalation to the right team (and more time).

Silver2K | 05. März 2019

I find it interesting that Tesla did not transfer the cash they owed you to the new car, because that has been their practice for some time now.

Silver2K | 05. März 2019

And I find it particularly interesting that YOU didn't suggest to transfer the cash to the new car and pay the remaining balance

lsw321 | 06. März 2019

I love it, blame the victim, so it is my fault that they will not pay me my money back? I have talked to the GM of the store, I live in Denver, any ideas who else to contact.
I did fill out the form on here two days ago but so far, I have heard nothing back.
My lawyers are now awaiting a response, we may actually try to charge them with theft.

lsw321 | 26. März 2019

Still no response. I have officially filed suit against Tesla for theft of my money. It has been almost 4 months and no refund.
Either the worst management ever or they are flat broke. Beware, I would not buy any stock going forward. We may all be screwed.

Jcastillo18 | 26. März 2019

Not blaming the victim but I order a model s and later decide to get the model S instythey transfer the money I previously had on the model 3 granted wasn’t 48 k

lsw321 | 26. März 2019

I have to say, I never, ever thought that it would be an issue with a company the size of Tesla. If I was dealing with a private person, then, yes, I would have done it that way. They asked me for a new check and I gave it to them. In hindsight, no argument, it was stupid.
All that said, how can they do business like this? My lawyer has filed suit against them for damages and theft, maybe that will at least get a response, which I have not had now in some time. I am afraid now they file bankruptcy and I am out the money. Seriously afraid.

NKYTA | 26. März 2019

Do want the car?

Shrug.

hammer @OR-US | 26. März 2019

TEA?

Silver2K | 27. März 2019

100%

barrykmd | 27. März 2019

I believe it.

Silver2K | 27. März 2019

I don't. I've changed my mind on a few cars and they never had a problem moving my deposit to other purchases

thranx | 27. März 2019

Interesting situation. How much are you paying your lawyers to get your $48k back sooner?

barrykmd | 27. März 2019

What other choice does he have?

ktslab | 27. März 2019

there is something not right with the story.

BarryQ | 27. März 2019

I agree. Sounds VERY fishy!

lsw321 | 01. Mai 2019

Just an update. Tesla has finally responded to the suit. It has been over 5 and 1/2 months. They are going to pay the money (of course) and 8% interest, plus the lawyers' fees.

My lawyer says we will have the money in 2-3 weeks.

Just an FYI, since my first post of this the stock is off some 20% (about 50 points). It is my belief they have serious cash issues much more than very poor management skills. You can choose to view it as you want.

I still do not have my money back but my lawyer is now very hopeful.

SoCal Buzz | 01. Mai 2019

Good news finally!