Forums

Door handle light out

Door handle light out

My S 85D driver’s door handle light has failed. (The remaining three still shine.)

I’ll get it fixed under warranty in a month or two—just curious if any of you have had a door handle light “blow out?” Does not seem common. LEDs last a really long time so I wonder if rather a tiny wire broke inside the handle…

jordanrichard | 05. April 2019

My driver's handle LED burnt out a long while ago. Hell until I saw your thread, I had completely forgot about it. I know that it will cost about $240 to replace it and it's not worth it to me. I had to have my front passenger door handle gear replaced and the gear part cost was cheap, it was all the labor involved which would be the same to replace the LED.

TeslaTap.com | 05. April 2019

Actually, it's very doubtful the LED failed. Far more likely the wires going to the LED failed, as they flex on every extension and retraction.

As for burn out, that only happens when you apply too much current to an LED, a very unlikely scenario (but not impossible if electronics fail in some ways). Old style filament bulbs burn out :)

reed_lewis | 05. April 2019

One of my door handle lights failed, but it was under warranty. They said that it is the cable that breaks.

Qwiksilver | 05. April 2019

2013 85S 71,000 miles
Mike went out too. Just had it replaced under warranty.

Qwiksilver | 05. April 2019

2013 85S 71,000 miles
Mike went out too. Just had it replaced under warranty.

Meant “Mine went out too.”

Bighorn | 05. April 2019

I've had one out for a couple years.

DanFoster1 | 05. April 2019

Thank reed_lewis and others, I’ve never seen an LED itself fail, but the wiring is subject to metal fatigue; it flexes every time the handle moves. Mine is still under warranty. If we’re “lucky” the paddle gear in that handle will fail soon so we can kill two birds with one stone. Time to start slamming my driver’s door. (JOKING.)