Forums

Seat creaking and knocking?

Seat creaking and knocking?

Does anybody have any experience with a creaking or knocking sound coming from both front seats when sitting in them and leaning forwards or back, or just general weight redistribution during driving/accelerating?

It's not a squeaking, it's like there are parts inside that are knocking something.

Thanks for any ideas.

Xerogas | 06. April 2019

@christian: yup, creaking

M3phan | 06. April 2019

Take to SC, they will verify issue and repair or replace. Did mine, no more creaking and popping.

christian | 06. April 2019

Thanks. Is it a while you wait kind of thing? I have no experience with Tesla SCs.

M3phan | 06. April 2019

The SC verified creak, asked me to send a video of my seat making the sound, they sent my video to Fremont to verify whether it required repair or replace. Within a week, Fremont approved replacement of entire seat plus the mounting brackets that go into the floor. Parts ordered, took 2 weeks to arrive. Replacement of new seat was a half day. I drove the car while waiting for new seat, so I was only out for a half day.

hughbie | 06. April 2019

Added feature. Haunted car Easter egg.

OutOfTheStars | 07. April 2019

My m3 awd driver seat was wobbly. It was screwed in to the chassis at an angle. SC took care of it in couple of hours. I walked in to the SC and got it fixed.

gudavallign | 07. April 2019

Yes. I have a very bad squeaky sound from my M3. SC took a video and got it approved by engineers. Waiting for replacement seat.

dhliu | 07. April 2019

I have the creaking that’s gotten unbearable right around 8k mileage. Bringing into the SC this week.

drewallen42 | 08. April 2019

Mine does this as well. I’m curious. Are any of you over 6 feet tall? I took mine in and they moved the seat forward 1/2 inch and it stopped making the noise. My issue looks to be the track clicks/creaks when the seat is all the way back.

M3phan | 08. April 2019

@drewallen42: just over 6’ here. Yes I read elsewhere about not putting seat all the way back as the seat can rub against the back of the bracket. Worked for a while but creaking returned. Which is prob why they replaced my seat and my bracket. My creaking was quite pronounced too.

neylus | 08. April 2019

I just went through this yesterday. Out driving all of the sudden my seat was popping and squeaking after 6 months. I moved the seat up an inch (it was all the way back) and the noises vanished.

tlukas1 | 08. April 2019

For reference I'm over 6' tall.
Took mine in twice for a squeaky driver's seat. Both appointments were made 3 weeks out and took 1 week to complete. They noticed wear and rubbing on the under brackets. I went in expecting it to be taken care of same day but they sent me right out the door with a rental car soon after I arrived.

LikeLightning | 19. April 2019

Mine started knocking in the last 2 weeks (took possession late March). Noise happens while the seat is lowered. Tesla road service came to my house, attempted to fix before scheduling a regular appt. Couldn't fix it. Showed him these posts here. He hadn't encountered the issue b4 but believed it's the seat's small motor. They're calling me back next week as they "send it upstairs:" I'll let you know what happens.

LikeLightning | 07. Juni 2019

Well it took quite awhile (1 1/2 months) for local Tesla service to get part (small motor for front seat). Road service guy, super nice, just replaced it in my driveway. Took about 45 mins. Problem solved - no more knocking sound. The delay getting the part didn't bother me but that's only b/c it wasn't a huge deal; it certainly didn't keep me from driving the car.

georgehawley.fl.us | 07. Juni 2019

Did you know that Tesla has a squeak warranty that expires before the general warranty? I didn't.
Take a look a the i1 Tesla blog on this subject and watch Brian (over 6 feet tall) fix the problem himself. Not for the faint of heart. https://youtu.be/f-TQweK_WdQ

M3phan | 07. Juni 2019

Yeah saw that! Who knew, a squeak time limit. Wow.
Brian is fun to watch. That seat tear apart is something else.

tomasrey88 | 07. Juni 2019

Stop doin' it in the seats and there will be no squeakin and a knockin.