Forums

Model S 2019 P100DL refresh

Model S 2019 P100DL refresh

I currently own a 2016 P100DL with about 12,500 miles on it. The car has been terrific, very few problems and the service in Miami area is excellent.
After reading about the recently announced updates to the Model S including increased range, improved suspension, new front motor drive unit and faster supercharging, I decided to pull the trigger and order a new P100DL.
One question that I have not seen addressed is whether the new front motor drive unit will increase the performance of the P100DL. This drive unit apparently produces more power than the one it is replacing because the acceleration specs for the standard range and non ludicrous P100D cars have improved 0-60 times by 3/10ths of a second. However, the Tesla website still claims that the "new" P100DL will reach 0-60mph in 2.4 seconds... no improvement. I may be incorrect, but I suspect that the new P100DL's are going to be even quicker than the previous generation.
My new P100DL won't arrive until late May so I suspect someone will have test results before I take delivery.
Any thoughts on increased performance expectations?

ST70 | 27. April 2019

@Jimdow- Did you ask if you can test drive it?

Munka | 27. April 2019

I'm speculating, but I think the initial acceleration of the car is already nearing the limits of what Tesla are prepared to warrant. Higher performance would result in unacceptable levels of warranty returns on axels, joints and suspension. Physics just eventually wins.

Where I think you will see advantages is a possibility of a top speed update down the line and a longer sustained top speed, maybe even a track mode. The more efficient motor will have less thermal restrictions of its own and being more efficient will be able to maintain top speed at a slightly lower current meaning it will last longer before the battery thermal management kicks in.

For general driving where bursting out of the traffic lights and reaching a top speed of 80 mph is involved I wouldn't expect a perceptible difference.

steven | 28. April 2019

I also feel that the Ludicrous performance cars are a bit left out. Sure they are bloody quick, but they haven't received any update in performance. Not only in 0-60 times, but also not at higher speeds (similar to track mode). All the other versions have gotten performance upgrades up to 10% over the past few years.

Madatgascar | 28. April 2019

@steven, with Ludicrous they are flirting with the practical limit of acceleration before tires lose traction on the road. It will take some extreme measures to beat this, I think we would need to wait for the more aerodynamic roadster.

Munka | 28. April 2019

@madatgascar to be fair there is some room to move the upper 30-60 time when it comes to traction. But I agree it's just the physical limits of the mechanical parts of the car that prevent things changing much from here on a 4 for sedan.

Jimdow | 28. April 2019

I have not test driven the new P100DL.
However, a Tesla sales rep in one of their stores did just tell me that the refreshed P100DL will be quicker to 60mph and through quarter mile. He claimed he had spoken to a marketing guy in the factory who told him the 0-60 time should go down to 2.2 sec but they want to verify with more testing before they make any announcements.
Good story.... could be Fake News but we'll all know soon enough.
I'll be pleased with the longer range and faster supercharging.

Munka | 28. April 2019

Just noticed they have updated the top speed to 163.

ST70 | 28. April 2019

Does anybody know if Tesla is giving test drives on the new P100DL?

jfemd.va.us | 29. April 2019

@Jimdow...what are you doing with your current Model S? I have a 2014 P85DL and am also considering an upgrade to the new model. Asked Tesla for a trade in appraisal, and they low-balled me--$13k under blue book. I live in SW Virginia and not a lot of Tesla interest here.

Anthony J. Parisio | 29. April 2019

Tesla does seem to low ball as much as $10,000.00 from Kelly’s Blue Book whole sale.

Bighorn | 29. April 2019

Always have given low trade in.

Jimdow | 29. April 2019

I am still waiting for a trade in quote for my P100DL.
Given the 3/10ths of a second improvement in the non P model S 0-60mph figures ,I think the new front motor drive unit has to be delivering more power than the one it is replacing .
Therefor, the mid range acceleration of the P100DL should be better than the previous generation P100DL cars.

cloudphytr | 29. April 2019

2017 Model S, 90D, EAP.
Dropped by the Tesla showroom this morning to look at recent options. My trade in value came in at $15000 under KBB ($62900 to $69500). Tesla ($49,500) Quite unexpected since my car is exactly two years old, $112,000 new. It's depreciated that much in two years? HIndsight being 20/20, probably should have leased. Now trying to decide whether to sell privately or keep the car & purchase the FSD option for $5000, hoping the HW3 upgrade (confirmed by Tesla support) will enable more autopilot capabilities before regulatory decisions catch up. Anyone else tempted by this? Or is this a marketing ploy to sell more vehicles before a summer/fall Model S refreshed that has been rumored? The increased range and ludicrous mode for free are pretty appealing.

jfemd.va.us | 29. April 2019

Surprised by their pathetic trade-in offers. Not long after I purchased my Model S (2014), Elon stated that Tesla would buy back a four year-old Model S (in good condition) for 50% of the purchase price. Of course, that was back when it was going to be easy to upgrade your battery if you wanted, etc.

sr.smr | 30. April 2019

Private sale is the way to go financially, but you have the inconvenience of dealing with the public and risk being without a car if selling and buying don't coincide. I received the best trade in value after five years, so I'll wait around until then to consider purchasing a new S. When I did trade my Volt at that time I received the low end of the KBB trade in value despite the car having low mileage and was in perfect condition. But to me it was worth the convenience.

In four more years, my extended warranty will come to an end and by that time the S should have the refresh. In the meantime, I love my 2017 and am enjoying all the firmware upgrades and expected HW3 FSD enhancements.

Anthony J. Parisio | 30. April 2019

Tesla was not always so bad on the trade-in quotes. This year is the first time Tesla has started with these ridiculously low quotes. Right now it is better to sell privately rather than trade-in to Tesla.

Bighorn | 30. April 2019

Disagree Anthony. Back when early P owners wanted to upgrade to the new AWD Ps, Tesla was offering about $20k under retail. We discovered a few large dealerships in Texas who they were unloading the cars through who would directly pay customers about $10k more on trade ins. Tesla caught on and prohibited those dealers from buying directly from the public.

Silver2K | 01. Mai 2019

Jimdow | April 28, 2019
I have not test driven the new P100DL.
However, a Tesla sales rep in one of their stores did just tell me that the refreshed P100DL will be quicker to 60mph and through quarter mile. He claimed he had spoken to a marketing guy in the factory who told him the 0-60 time should go down to 2.2 sec but they want to verify with more testing before they make any announcements.
Good story.... could be Fake News but we'll all know soon enough.
I'll be pleased with the longer range and faster supercharging.
-----

The 0-60 on the P100DL is already 2.2 seconds in ludicrous plus mode.

The exact number is 2.28

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-s/2017/2017-tesla-model-s-p1...

Jimdow | 01. Mai 2019

Got it... I do recall MT article
I'm interested to see what Tesla claims for the updated P100DL. Perhaps 0-60 won't change much due to limits on tire grip on the launch. However, 1/4 mile may improve with more overall power and slightly reduced weight due to no sunroofs on new cars and less rolling resistance (new low resistance wheel bearings).
We will know soon enough once the Dragtimes guys put one on the track

Model S Lover | 03. Juni 2019

Has anyone seen a refreshed Model S test drive with confirmation of the advertised extended range ?

I have only seen a test drive for a quarter mile indicating a 10.6 sec outcome (0.2 faster than pre-refreshed)

but nothing on the extended range ... anyone ?

thanks !

heartbeat | 03. Juni 2019

The driver stated he had 345 miles at 100% on his performance model. He also did 10.53 with lighter wheels.

bernard.nubla | 03. Juni 2019

Mine is roughly 330 miles on a full charge

ST70 | 04. Juni 2019

@bernard.nubla- what is "Mine"?