Forums

ANother recall or a duplicate?

ANother recall or a duplicate?

Got a letter in the mail about bolts in the power steering system and possible corrosion. Had this taken care of previously, from a recall letter about a year ago. Are these different bolts or a duplicate letter?

lilbean | 11. Mai 2019

Maybe riveting would be better than bolting.

murphyS90D | 11. Mai 2019

Go here

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

and enter your VIN to see if there is an outstanding recall on your car.

mmtolooee | 11. Mai 2019

No I dont have an email!

Mathew98 | 12. Mai 2019

They made these replacement bolts a little faster than rivets. So they moved at the speed of a turtle rather than a snail...

kerryglittle | 12. Mai 2019

I had my steering bolts replaced a few weeks ago and just entered my VIN number that MurphyS90D suggested and it shows no recalls. So must have been a duplicate mail then. Thanks murphy.

barrykmd | 12. Mai 2019

Letter says affects certain 2012-2016 Model S vehicles.

Checked the NHTSA web site and listed there. Already had previous steering bolts and airbags done and those aren't listed.

Mathew98 | 12. Mai 2019

I didn't have mine replaced since the original recall for the bolt. Same goes for the airbag. I figured they just finally got enough parts to start sending me reminders recently...

AERODYNE | 12. Mai 2019

I also got the same letter yesterday.
I am confident is it an error, but not one Tesla should be making.

Wish they would hurry up and get the airbag thing done. I guess the answer will be, "soon"

As far as the alum bolts go, never liked them. Rivets Rule!

murphyS90D | 12. Mai 2019

I never got a letter stating the steering bolts and airbag were available. I requested it be done when my car was in for service. They didn't have the parts then but a mobile tech installed both in my garage two weeks later. I'm 21 miles from the service center.

Give them a call Mathew98. I got a letter ages ago and then one day just called them after my car was out of storage and they said oh yeah we have had them in stock for awhile. They aren't the best at follow ups.

murphyS90D | 12. Mai 2019

As my college job placement counselor said.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Mathew98 | 12. Mai 2019

@Kerry - I'll get around to them when the car needs to go in for service. It's been about two years since the last visit for a new rim and a set of tires.

p.c.mcavoy | 12. Mai 2019

The 'duplicate' letter/notification likely due to Tesla needing to keep track and report status of open recalls.

My experience with Honda is that I will receive a follow-up notification if I do not complete a recall within a certain amount of time. Part of that is asking me to let them know if I no longer own the vehicle so they can update their ownership records to try and find the current owner. I recently had that happen on our daughter's Civic for an airbag recall. We hadn't bothered getting it done yet as it sits in our driveway, rarely driven, as she's at school with no need for the car. We did get it done a few weeks later along with some other service I'd been holding off having done.

My car was not impacted by the steering bolt recall, but was for both the parking brake and air bag recall. In neither case did Tesla ever contact me that parts were available. I had the parking brake recall done about 6 months after parts were originally said to be available by requesting it be done during an annual service. I had the air bag recall done about a month ago, specifically scheduling a service appointment on-line for it. About a week before the scheduled appointment the service team reached out to me to schedule it to be done by mobile service instead of me bringing my car into the service center.

Tesla also has a page on their site where they list details of all the recalls. This gives the description and range of vehicles impacts.

https://www.tesla.com/support/annual-and-recall-service

They also have a search page (link on the above page) which will show you the open recalls for your VIN. This page also has a link to the NHTSA recall page/search as well.

https://www.tesla.com/vin-recall-search

Neither page is easy to find directly on Tesla's site (at least for me), but do pop up when I do a general google search for 'tesla model s recall'.

barrykmd | 12. Mai 2019

I checked using the Tesla link (vin-recall-search) and it lists the date for this recall (18V-20) as 4/4/2018 and a refresh date 4/1/2019.

I was in for 4 year service in late 3/2019 at which time the two recalls (steering bolt and airbag) were addressed, so maybe they just didn't get their system up-dated, but it's podd that they would have updated one and not the other. From the description it sure sounds the same as what was already done.

I'm awaiting a ranger visit to replace a windshield washer nozzle on back-order (surprise!), so I'll touch base with their mobile service scheduler. She's one of the few who responds to emails.

Bill_75D | 12. Mai 2019

My brother's Honda Accord had the airbag replaced TWICE. The first replacement turned out to be defective.

I wonder if Tesla has the same problem with bad replacements.

You should be fine Mathew98. When mine were replaced they said they looked like new and replaced them anyways. But my car hasn't seen snow or salt......maybe once in the rain. The day I brought it home. LOL.

AERODYNE | 12. Mai 2019

Good info PC...I would like to have a ranger do the airbag...

@Bill_75D - I also own a 2005 Honda Accord - was my wife's car that was handed down to our two youngest daughters. Received the recall notice about a month ago about needing to have the driver's airbag replaced again for the second time due to the first replacement having been a defective part. Makes three of the five vehicles which we own having had an airbag replaced in the last 2.5 months. This is one of those deals that really is a bit mind-boggling how widely the global auto industry was impacted over the past few years.

barrykmd | 13. Mai 2019

Here's the answer to my oriogonal question from the horse's mouth:

Your steering bolt recall was performed when you were in for service in March of this year, we have switched over to a new Service application system and the recall bulletin was not properly closed out and that is why you have received the notice again. I apologize about that mistake and have closed out the service bulletin on your Tesla account.

barrykmd | 13. Mai 2019

original (sorry, Silver)

Mathew98 | 13. Mai 2019

Oh snap and grabthembythepotato...

rxlawdude | 13. Mai 2019

I am sure that Tesla stated they completed the steering bolt fix during a previous visit, but NHTSA still shows it outstanding (along with the airbags).

TeslaTap.com | 13. Mai 2019

@rxlawdude - I wonder if NHTSA ever gets data from manufacturers? I assumed NHTSA only knows what cars originally needed a recall and the data is never updated. Then again maybe it's updated infrequently and hasn't yet been updated for your car.

murphyS90D | 13. Mai 2019

My car was updated on the NHTSA web site within two days of the repair in my garage.

My Ford was also updated after the recent EVSE recall.

TeslaTap.com | 13. Mai 2019

@murphyS90D - Thanks - always wondered about how it worked.

AERODYNE | 13. Mai 2019

I also am showing still not in compliance per NTSB site.

I expect same issue as Barry reported.

I got a call in to VNY SC, just to see if they call me back....

mallynb | 13. Mai 2019

The 1st notice, received 5/22/18 said," Once parts for your vehicle are available, Tesla will send you another notice and contact you to schedule a service appointment." The car was already at the service center for another reason. So the next day I contacted them and asked if the bolts could be replaced while it was there. The answer was parts wouldn't be available until July 2018. "We will contact you when they arrive..." Yeah, right! The second notice arrived yesterday. Again, it says, "Tesla will soon contact you to schedule an appointment to repair your vehicle." It's a 300 mile, 5 hour round trip to the service center. I've been waiting a year, Tesla!

barrykmd | 13. Mai 2019

Tell them you want mobile service to come to you. The bolts have been available for a year.

kerryglittle | 14. Mai 2019

Is there a distance policy with Tesla Barry? 300 miles is a fair haul. Never heard it mentioned before if they would only travel so far. That would be a whole days trip just to replace a few bolts.

mallynb | 14. Mai 2019

Yes, or a whole day's trip for me just so they can replace a few bolts that should have been installed correctly in the first place. It is a safety recall!
When they had Mobile Service 80 miles away (now closed) they wanted a mileage charge of $240 to send a Ranger to us in a non recall situation.

Bighorn | 14. Mai 2019

@mallyn
The tentative ranger mileage charges never were put in force to my knowledge. I’ve never been charged for several ranger visits of 400 and 700+ miles. They were installed correctly. It was a material issue by the supplier that didn’t stand up to a specific road salt.

mallynb | 14. Mai 2019

barrykmd: Sorry I'm late getting back to you. Thanks for your concern.
I had already had sent a copy of my post that you kindly responded to. To Tesla via the company web site on our profile page. I asked them to send a Mobile Ranger as you suggest. Our history with Tesla over the last 6 years, overall, has been much more than satisfactory, though at times frustrating. Rangers have been here several times before.
I believe this frustrating experience is one of many results of the law in Wisconsin that prevents Tesla from operating here.

Bighorn is right. The bolts were installed correctly. Its just the supplier was at fault. Tesla didn't know there was a problem until salt and moisture started to make them corrode. I said in another post that mine still looked like new, but they replaced them anyways. My car has never seen snow or salt. I would think anybody living near an ocean could be exposed to salt in the air that could affect them also. At least they stepped up to the plate and replaced them. Most car companies wait until the kill rate gets to a certain point before they issue a recall. I'm glad Tesla tries their best to keep us safe.

Bighorn | 14. Mai 2019

@kerry
It was my understanding that it was a rather specific salt that is more commonly used on roads in Canada. Doubt that salt sea air cross reacts.

For years now they have been using this brine mixture in Canada. Its a liquid that they spray on the roads and it sticks to it to prevent freezing rain and ice I believe. But its sticks to cars in a horrible way and hard to even wash off. It also creeps into every crevice possible on our cars.
I have heard that cars from places like Florida rust quicker because of the ocean sea salt. But maybe its not true. Never bought a Florida car.

Bighorn | 14. Mai 2019

Coastal cars definitely rust faster than midwestern cars, but it’s improved markedly over the decades. Whether the bolts are as susceptible as to the brine remains to be observed, though I haven’t heard of the issue in coastal Florida.

kerryglittle | 15. Mai 2019

Thanks Bighorn. I know water and metal do like each other. Even metal parts can go from hot to cold environments like parking in a garage and can sweat. Just like people saying their rotors seize up from being put away wet. Guess it depends on how well things are sealed so that air cant get to metal parts to rust that are damp.