Forums

Seat stitching separating not covered?

Seat stitching separating not covered?

Less than 3 Year old 2016 model s has front passenger seat stitching coming apart. Told by service not covered under warrantee beyond first six months. Really? Any input? Just ordered my third Tesla. I believe other luxe brands would cover.

jordanrichard | 11. Juni 2019

Ummm, wrong. Car has a bumper to bumper warranty for 4 years or 50K miles. There is no mention whatsoever in the warranty book for my 2014 MS about anything being covered for just 6 months. There is however the typical caveat of “normal wear and tear”.

rxlawdude | 11. Juni 2019

Stitching falling apart is not "normal."

AERODYNE | 11. Juni 2019

Agreed. But Lexus renegged on fixing my leather seat rip problem, said it was not covered.

rxlawdude | 11. Juni 2019

@AERODYNE, sounds like a rip off.

GMan324 | 28. Juni 2019

I have a 2014 MS with a CPO warranty and they just told me a 2" tear in the seam was not covered! They advised me that I could purchase a new seat for $1,100 plus parts and labor to install. LOL This is obviously a defect in material or craftsmanship and I told them I had reviewed the CPO warranty and it was covered. I asked for a call to talk in person with the service manager, and if it isn't resolved I will escalate it with to the mothership at Tesla. Radio silence after I mentioned the warranty and asked for a call. The local SC tried to say the warranty excludes "wear and tear", but a read of the warranty does not mention tear, it only says "normal" wear and abuse are not covered. Of which this is neither.

TeslaTap.com | 28. Juni 2019

@GMan - Would be nice if it was covered, but it sounds like they consider it abused. Since it wasn't your original car, it's hard to say what was done prior to you getting the car. I can see putting something pointy that is very heavy could break the seams on any seat in any car. Might even been something hard on the seat that then a person accidentally sat on. Doesn't help you fix it, but may explain why it happened.

Tldickerson | 29. Juni 2019

Take the car to your local auto upholstery shop and ask them if they cannot repair it for you. Shouldn't cost that much to have the seam repaired.