Forums

$39,900 for a Model 3 is Federal Magic

$39,900 for a Model 3 is Federal Magic

A fellow club member of mine was interested in my Model 3 back in August 2018. He's the manager of a nearby federal facility and has been encouraged by his superiors to give electric vehicles a try. But (there's always a but when dealing with the Feds) he's limited by a $40,000 spending limit per vehicle. Above $40k, he must produce a forest of paperwork for each vehicle and wait for a response.

I looked at the Model 3 configurator and saw that the base price is now $39,900. If you know federal employees interested in Tesla's, pass on the good news.

reed_lewis | 18. Juni 2019

Of course you are referring to having to government purchase the car, correct?

tew ms us | 18. Juni 2019

@reed Correct; car is purchased by the government for its use.

Something that may be a deal breaker - delivery charge

TeslaTap.com | 18. Juni 2019

Why not buy an M3 SR? Cost I think is now $35,400 (It's not available on-line). You could get AP ($2K) or pick a non-standard color and destination charge and still be below the $40K threshold. Not sure how taxes work, but I expect it is not subject to state taxes. At the same time, no federal or state rebates.

tew ms us | 18. Juni 2019

@TeslaTap That's good info; I'll pass it on. We're about 400 miles from the nearest Tesla Gallery, so that may snarl things on my friend's end.

TeslaTap.com | 18. Juni 2019

For the 3 SR, you can order by phone or at a store - just not the web.

greg | 18. Juni 2019

Question:

Does the Federal Government get to enjoy the Federal Tax Credit?

Or does it not "pay enough Federal Tax" to qualify?

If it does, then presumably, the end price is even lower?

Or is this a momentous paper shuffling exercise that if tried will result in the Model 3 attempted purchase paperwork disappearing into a puff of greasy pencil smoke and red-ink from all the furious bureaucrats stamping the request with "denied" at once.

tew ms us | 19. Juni 2019

No tax credits for the Feds. No state sales taxes nor ad valorem taxes.

Federal managers get a budget with a line item for automobiles. As long as they keep the price below $40k per auto, they don't need any further authorization to purchase.

Fulkth | 13. September 2019

Late to the post but curious if anyone has heard if Tesla is trying to get on the GSA Vehicle Availability List (VAL)? I believe most departments require use of the GSA vehicle acquisition program. GSA is also requiring by 2025 that 50% of vehicles be electric. I was surprised to not see the base model 3 on the list.

Fulkth | 13. September 2019

Late to the post but curious if anyone has heard if Tesla is trying to get on the GSA Vehicle Availability List (VAL)? I believe most departments require use of the GSA vehicle acquisition program. GSA is also requiring by 2025 that 50% of vehicles be electric. I was surprised to not see the base model 3 on the list. I'm a federal employee myself and I'd love to see Tesla on the list of vehicle options instead of just the Leaf and Bolt (and several PHEV options).