Forums

whining noise after full charge

whining noise after full charge

I've recently noticed that after an overnight charge to 100% there is a high-frequency noise coming from an area beneath the "frunk". It sounds like it might be coming from a small motor(pump?). The sound is not coming from the charging process since it occurs many hours after charging is finished. It does go away sometime later.

Normally, I charge to about 80% but switch to 100% for a trip of 170-190 miles that I take every couple of weeks. I don't recall hearing the sound when charging to 80%, but I do always charge to 100% in the garage to prepare for the return trip home. At home the car is in a carport and I may have missed the sound when doing a normal 80% charge.

I first started noticing it when I charged inside a very quiet garage.

I have a 2015 85kw Model S with about 77k miles

Bighorn | 05. Juli 2019

Could be battery cooling especially if the charge concluded recently.

vgray20 | 05. Juli 2019

could be, but at times it is a day later, and the garage was relatively cool.

NCC1701S | 07. Juli 2019

Interesting, my 2015 85D 47k miles just started doing the same thing after charging overnight to 90%. The humming goes on for several hours and sucks about 10 miles of range before it finally stops. Neither of the reboot options nor powering down the car will stop the noise. I brought this to the attention of my service center about three weeks back, when it first happened. (I think that this was about the time the 2019.20.2 update installed, but is ongoing with 2019.20.4.) They looked into the car's logs but did not find any related alerts. Going in for an appointment this Friday. I'll let you know what they find.

NCC1701S | 10. Juli 2019

Follow up - I sent a video to the service center and they have determined that my car is making the same noise as a few others, that were brought to their attention. It is the cooling pump(s) for the battery pack. After the reported fires, Tesla increased the pump's run times and pumping rates through the last couple of updates. The service center assures me that engineering is aware of the issue. My service advisor did say that they are not expecting a fix any time soon.

One other side effect to the increased pumping performance, is lower range. The pumps are working harder and seem to be dropping the range about 5%.

Hope this information helps.

gto | 13. Juli 2019

I also have a constant sound of a coolant pump whine/buzzing under my frunk. This became more apparent after the recent updates. This draws approximately 14 miles of range off my charge total daily 2013 ms. I do hope this gets a resolution soon.

gto | 13. Juli 2019

I also have a constant sound of a coolant pump whine/buzzing under my frunk. This became more apparent after the recent updates. This draws approximately 14 miles of range off my charge total daily 2013 ms. I do hope this gets a resolution soon.