Forums

CHAdeMO working on Model 3 -- proper firmware required

CHAdeMO working on Model 3 -- proper firmware required

Yes you need firmware 2019.24.1 for the CHAdeMO adapter to work. Yes you can use the same adapter purchased for the Model S/X.

Link https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/10/telsa-model-3-chademo-charger-compat...

Magic 8 Ball | 14. Juli 2019

bump

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

“We had a bunch of folks buy it but no one other than me seems to have tried it yet except me”

Hmmmmmmm maybe because they’re not idiots ?

calvin940 | 14. Juli 2019

Ordered mine yesterday. Figured maybe it would motivate me to get out to more areas of where I live plus I always like having more charging options than less. Already got a "shipped" notice this morning so looks like they boxed it and registered the shipping slip

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

Your aware you need the 2019.24.x update, right?

Magic 8 Ball | 14. Juli 2019

: )

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

Lmao you will believe that nonsense (unsure if that’s true) but not what an articles states of needing the correct firmware for the Chademo to work.

LmaoooooOooOoOoooOoOooooo

M3BlueGeorgia | 14. Juli 2019

@FISHEV Yes the software releases are YEAR.WEEK.VERSION.SUBVERSION

So 2019.20.4.2 reads as follows:
This release was initially built 2019 week 20, then internal testing and QA begins, which takes several weeks, including fixing bugs and other issues. Decisions are also made whether to release new features or delay them to the next major build.
Then beta testing get a build, perhaps 2019.20.1 or .2
Then it is initially released, perhaps 2019.20.2, after fixing issues found by beta testers
Then is starts being rolled out to general release. More issues found and fixed. VERSION and SUBVERSION getting incremented.

Eventually, 4 to 6 weeks after 2019.20 was first built, I get 2019.20.4.2
Note: Some people are new getting 2019.20.4.4, with an additional bug fix, but not me so far.

Next major build is 2019.24 which already been released to beta testers as 2019.24.1
Before I get it the VERSION will be probably be incremented because of bug fixes and maybe also there'll be a SUBVERSION.

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

Thx for all that info. If s(he) believes your post, then there is truly something wrong with that person, mentally. Seriously.

hokiegir1 | 14. Juli 2019

And so far, on the various firmware tracking sites, there are only a handful of 3s to have gotten 24.1 (mostly S/X)....and they are slow rolling a 24.2 and 24.1.5 as well, so there's no telling what the issues are at this point preventing wider rollout, but they are clearly seeing something on their end to keep it a slow and steady instead of a mass release.

Hp.1193 | July 14, 2019

"Your aware you need the 2019.24.x update, right?"

Lol, yes I am well aware of the firmware version requirement.

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

@calvin940 Sounds good, unlike FISHEV who is extremely delusional.

lbowroom | 14. Juli 2019

He also complains that autosteer doesn't work well without TACC engaged. Has no idea how the car works. Seriously mental.

lbowroom | 14. Juli 2019

Please please please tell me you're just messing with us.

raqball | 14. Juli 2019

@FISHEV

Are there enough Chademo's in the PDX area to justify the price of it? I live in a condo with no way to charge at home. They have said they might be installing a station though. In the meantime I am using superchargers and purchased every adapter Tesla has for use with the mobile charger. I am not opposed to buying a Chademo if it will prove useful....

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

$450 with SCs will get you far.

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

And quick !

Not to mention the cost for ChadEmo use (actual energy costs) I've seen is generally higher than for a Supercharger, though it's strictly plugshare rate listings when we were deciding. I want to say 30 cents a minute, when most superchargers are about 25-28 cents in this area, and much faster.

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

Oh yeah duh.

raqball | 14. Juli 2019

The price is high... I don't mind buying one if it's useful. This is my 1st EV and while I know Superchargers are everywhere I still suffer from range anxiety.. If it sits in the trunk and collect dust then so be it but it might be worth the pice of admission for piece of mind alone...

$450 is quite a bit though which is why I've not ordered one yet...

@raqball - Get yourself the Plugshare app. You can see all of the various chargers in your area with that, including the J1772 that, while slower, are sometimes free and may be in places you already go (Whole Foods generally has some, and some shopping centers near me). I'm not saying don't get it, especially since you don't currently have home charging...but you may have more options than you realize.

"$450 is quite a bit though which is why I've not ordered one yet..."

For me it's just a securiry blanket (albeit an extensive one) but as EV is still in an infancy state right now, I'd rather arm myself with another charging option just in case when I go on trips.

jjgunn | 14. Juli 2019

Me too -- I bought the TT-30 plug (charges 120v at 24 Amp) it's the RV plug for the UMC.

Options are good. $450 seems pricey for 50 kW charging. Maybe it's just me, however, if you're in the middle of no man's land & that's your only option....it'll be a godsend.

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

Having an EV people, I would believe, plan trips ahead based on available chargers. But sure, in worse case scenarios, is good to have I guess.

raqball | 14. Juli 2019

Thanks @hokiegir1.. yes I've downloaded that app but have not really played around with it as there is a Supercharge a few blocks from my condo and I've just been using it... The HOA says they are going to install charging stations but no ETA.. I mainly am interested in it for travel.

c@alvin940 my thinking as well... I've purchased every adapter available for the mobile charger from Tesla so I am covered there but am considering the Chademo for added piece of mind..

I am on ancient firmware but Tesla says I am up to date.. I am currently on 2019.15.104 so it won't work for me right now anyways..

@Hp.1193

I have very few Tesla charger options in my area.

Currently there are some CHAd chargers in the areas I'd like to visit and that gives me travel options I don't currently have or at the very least prohibitive.

@raqball - for travel, I'm partial to looking at A Better Route Planner ahead of time and planning my supercharger stops. It allows adding waypoints and doing return trips, which is something the on-board nav struggles with. I still sometimes change on the fly, but it gives a good idea of what stops are available between your destinations, and how long you'll be charging, so you can decide if you are.goingnto do a "meal" versus a "pit stop" style charge.

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

@calvin940 makes sense on why you bought one. Guess I’m spoiled, we have 3 150kW SCs here in Columbus, Ohio and 1 80kW. Sooooo many destination and non Tesla chargers.

Bighorn | 14. Juli 2019

My car is more widely traveled than any other Tesla and I’ve never seen the need for Chademo, although I have free supercharging, so the math is slightly different.

raqball | 14. Juli 2019

@hokiegir1 thanks again. I'll check it out.. Is there a way to send the planned route directly to the car? I assume so and I also assume it auto routes you to the next charge point?

@raqball - sort of? First, ABRP can be opened on the in-car browser, and will "follow along". But the in car nav doesn't support waypoints, so you can't send a particular route...just a destination, which you can actually do from Google maps directly (very handy if a passenger is looking up a restaurant and finds one...they can just "share" if they have a linked app or are using your phone). But you would be able to pick the next charger in the plan and route to that.

Oh, and you can log in to ABRP on both computer/phone/car so you pull up the same plans in a of them, and save it. It also let's you enter your average usage instead of just relying on the car's projection (was very helpful when we loaded up bikes on our hitch mouth and took an efficiency hit).

And now...it's time to hit the road to a winery, because we've been cooped up too long. :)

raqball | 14. Juli 2019

Thanks @hokiegir1... I'll def play around with it..

raqball | 14. Juli 2019

Thanks @FISHEV... I am still kicking the idea around just not sure I want to drop $450 for an adapter I may never use.. I am hopelessly stuck on old firmware (2019.15.104) and Tesla says it's the most current for my cars config so I am not sure how long it will take for me to get up to the firmware required for it's use...

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

There’s 2-3 Superchargers in PDX area, no?

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

My god there’s like 50 J1772 or equivalent on PlugShare ..

jjgunn | 14. Juli 2019

@raqball

You're not stuck on old firmware, you have HW 3.0 & the software made specifically for HW 3.0 most likely isn't ready yet.

Patience please....

raqball | 14. Juli 2019

Thanks @jjgunn.. I am patient just think it will be a while before I reach firmware level that will allow Chademo usage...

@FISHEV. I use the Vancouver supercharger a lot as well.. It's gets full many times and during my last visit there I tried 3 different stations and all were sloooooooow.....

lbowroom | 14. Juli 2019

No, they are not

lbowroom | 14. Juli 2019

The app refers to it simply as version

raqball | 14. Juli 2019

@lbowroom Yeas I just looked and it does refer to it as version...

lbowroom | 14. Juli 2019

Please acknowledge you understand software/firmware has the same meaning here

Hp.1193 | 14. Juli 2019

Lmaooo bro, I can't.. Just can't. I'm done with this nonsense.

lbowroom | 14. Juli 2019

And you maintain that lane keep and autosteer are the same thing too, right?

lbowroom | 14. Juli 2019

I said in this situation they are the same. I know the definition

lbowroom | 14. Juli 2019

Is aspergers the issue here? Serious question

lbowroom | 14. Juli 2019

You are playing games and we are enabling you. Your posts being deleted are serving you here. You're using rules as a smoke screen. I don't have a duty to humor you.

Bighorn | 14. Juli 2019

I thought everyone knew by now that the 80% limit is easily overridden.

Bighorn | 14. Juli 2019

If a station is deemed busy, it gets the 80% geofence all the time. I’ve been the sole charger under these circumstances. They aren’t always busy.

Isn’t it great when very experienced owners can share such wisdom with newbies who make bad assumptions?

Bighorn is always right.

casun | 14. Juli 2019

fishev is always wrong.

Pages