Forums

The mystery piggy bank

The mystery piggy bank

So I have discovered what I am calling a mystery piggy bank.

We have a store by us called Aldi and they make you insert a quarter to use a shopping cart, and if you return the cart you get the quarter back.

So we keep a quarter in the center console for a cart.

My daughter brings back the quarter and goes to put it in the center console but drops it between the console and the passenger seat.

Sounds like no big deal just get the quarter right. Well we look and it is 3/4 under the seat rail just a little sticking out. So she carefully tries to get it but all of a sudden we hear chink and the quarter drops into we don't know where under the seat rail.

So upon investigation there is a square hole under the seat rail that I have no idea where it goes or how we would retrieve the quarter. I don't care about the quarter I care if something gets shorted out or it begins to rattle around.

82bert | 16. Juli 2019

We almost lost my wife’s wedding ring down there when she took it off to put lotion on her hands. A little bit terrifying.

Joshan | 16. Juli 2019

I read somewhere you can stick a vacuum down there and suck things out. Preferably your Shopvac if you want to retrieve what it was.

82bert | 16. Juli 2019

That was the plan had it dropped down. I’m sure it’s retrievable. Worst case, take it to SC.

AWDTesla | 16. Juli 2019

Yeah, my kids dropped a bunch of jelly beans down there. Could hear them rolling around as I took corners.

I put tuct tape in there, sticky side out. Caught most of the jelly beans rolling around. Some probably melted ontop of the battery.

82bert | 16. Juli 2019

The battery is exposed under there awdtesla?

AWDTesla | 16. Juli 2019

No clue. Jelly beans were rolling on flat surface though. Coming more from the backseat floor.

vmulla | 16. Juli 2019

Joshan | July 16, 2019
I read somewhere you can stick a vacuum down there and suck things out. Preferably your Shopvac if you want to retrieve what it was.
-----

I can confirm it. I lost a contact lens down there and sucked it up with a minnow net pulled across a shop vac.

vmulla | 16. Juli 2019

AWDTesla | July 16, 2019
...Caught most of the jelly beans rolling around. Some probably melted ontop of the battery...
-----
Unlikely, I put my fingers to the exposed metal down there after a long drive (had to, as a first step of retrieving my contact lens). The surface was barely warm.

markr7 | 16. Juli 2019

This is why I have a "No Eating" policy in my car...

Joshan | 16. Juli 2019

be hard to enforce that no eating policy when it is out as a robitaxi! /drops mic and runs

TeslaTap.com | 16. Juli 2019

@007bond "...I care if something gets shorted out..."

Nope - nothing to short out. There is a thick metal plate over the entire battery. It is sealed, so no worries there. There are wire bundles that go along the side of the car, but these are well insulated, and a coin is not going to cause a short. It may cause noise, but I'd guess it's more likely to wedge in somewhere and will never be heard from again.

markr7 | 16. Juli 2019

@joshan: be hard to enforce that no eating policy when it is out as a robitaxi!
When the cars become robotaxi's the interior camera will be live; You re-wire the heated seat coils, so when the passenger tries to take a bite, you remotely turn on the seat heater.... & ZAP!!!

007bond | 16. Juli 2019

I'm not sure a vac will work now the car has been driven maybe at first but when it was directly below. I think they should have covered that up seems no reason for it to be there. I'm not going to worry about it nothing I can do at this point. But very scary wow wedding ring even earrings maybe I should put some black gorilla tape over it. I have to check to see if there is one on the drivers side and if under the rail by the door. The more I think about it my wife will surly drop something someday and it could end up down there.

Other thought is put your change in there each day and when you are ready to trade in the car you have your down payment in cash.

gballant4570 | 16. Juli 2019

My suggestion would be don't go to an Aldi. Any store that charges a quarter to rent a buggy can stuff it where the sun don't shine.....

steevsteevsteev | 17. Juli 2019

Except the whole reason for this post is that they don't charge a quarter. They give it back.

gballant4570 | 17. Juli 2019

I just got a red ass the first time I tried to go into one of those dumps - I did not have a quarter. I went and got one. When I got inside, I looked around and quickly determined I wasn't going to buy anything I planned to at some point consume in a haphazard trashy looking place like that, which further exacerbated said red ass. I know Aldi has some sort of cult-like following, but then so did Jim Jones......

007bond | 17. Juli 2019

Really they have a few items that are good and reasonably priced. Organic eggs and milk, pizza made you just bake, cheesecake. So for main staples, kids snacks, and party cake great deal. Besides those items I can take or leave the rest of the store. But I have seen other stores with this quarter to use a cart. I really did not know they had a cult following interesting. But as steevsteevsteev noted you get your quarter back and if you kids want to spend a few min while you load the groceries they can make a few buck returning carts....

gballant4570 | 17. Juli 2019

I've got no kids... and shouldn't have hyjacked your thread for my little rant. Since I am a human, I am prone to delusional outbursts from time to time.....I apologize for that. But I'll still never go back into an Aldi....

Wormtown Kris | 18. Juli 2019

So I guess it would make sense for us to pre-emptively find this square hole and cover it before our loved ones drop stuff down there? :)

SnowZA | 18. Juli 2019

@gballant4570 Over here in the Netherlands, ALL shops make you put a coin in to use a cart, and it isn't a quarter. Most of them take either 50c or a Euro coin. I think the main reason they do it is to encourage people to bring the carts back to either the store or a collection point - otherwise you lose your money. The result is that you don't end up with shopping carts scattered all over the parking lot. Having moved here from a different country, it was irritating at first, but once you get used to it, it actually makes sense.

gballant4570 | 18. Juli 2019

SnowZA, I spent some time in the Netherlands a few years ago. I had to get used to several things with regards to grocery shopping, but the low priced really nice wines more than made up for it.
The reason I don't shop at Aldi has a lot more to do with the inside of the store rather than the buggy situation - although the buggy bit did set the stage.
I wish the plastic bags would be treated the same here though.....