Forums

Warped brake rotors

Warped brake rotors

October 2014 S60 44,000 miles
I Purchased the car new and I am the only one that has driven it. I one petal Drive and rarely use my brakes. Pads are like new. Yesterday I had to do an emergency stop from 60 mph and noticed my brake rotors are warped.
No excessive brake dust and after 20 miles of highway driving my rotors are room temperature. Can someone with more experience tell me what’s going on here.

Auto pilot software not activated, never use cruise control. I love driving my Tesla.

Mathew98 | 30. Juli 2019

Have you ever driven through a standing pool of water after traveling for some time?

This happened to a friend of mine who got off the highway only to be greeted by 6+ inches of standing rain water for about 50 feet. The sudden drop in temperature from the cold water and heated rotors warped them instantly.

Bighorn | 30. Juli 2019

There have been numerous reports over the years. Since the brakes are rarely used, it’s not likely from temperature related phenomena. This is my theory since we have high torque specs:
https://itstillruns.com/overtorque-warp-brake-rotor-5672302.html

RandallKeith | 30. Juli 2019

Thanks Big Horn
Went out and checked the torque on my Lugnuts. Right front only had 30 pounds of torque. Thank you Highland Park service center. I am pissed.

Bighorn | 30. Juli 2019

I think the mechanism is overtorquing causing deformation of the rotor. Not sure how low torque could be implicated in damaging the rotor, but I'm glad you identified an issue. My Model 3 had a lug nut with 0 lb-ft being held on by the Aero cover.

awolusa | 30. Juli 2019

Have you verified the the rotors are warped using a dial indicator. The warping can be caused by the rotor bending (very rare) or pad material on the rotor.
This is one of the most misdiagnosed brake problems and have made many brake shops rich.
The brake chatter that can be noticed when doing braking is usually caused by the transfer of brake pad material to the brake rotors.
This can be caused by running through water and applying the brakes, applying the brakes when the rotor is hot, etc.
Before changing the rotors, sand the rotors using a stationary fixture that holds the sanding material and rotate the brake rotor until shinny all around. You can do it by hand but make sure you use a sanding block.Make sure you do both sides of the rotor.
Once this is done, use the dial indicator to make sure the rotors are running true.