Forums

Arctic Temperature Data

Arctic Temperature Data

To melt away the Arctic ice, it will take a lot more than 274 deg. K!

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php

See the 2019 summertime temperatures north of 80 deg. North latitude? Same as the 1958-2002 mean!

MitchP85D | 30. Oktober 2019

Why not allow PG&E to trim the trees around their power lines??!!!!! Isn't that the most common sensical way to adapt? In Houston, we have a flooding problem. So, we have engineering projects to help channel the flood waters out to sea. If you Californians build homes in wildfire zones, why not allow PG&E to clear the flammable material away from their power lines?

jimglas | 30. Oktober 2019

Nobody is stopping PG&E from trimming trees away from powerlines, they are just too cheap to do so.

You are wrong jimmy! PG&E wants to trim the trees, but they are blocked by the idiot environmentalists and California democrats!

NKYTA | 30. Oktober 2019

@Mitch, as usual, a binary yes/no answer to a nuanced problem.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/PG-E-is-less-than-one-third...

Look at the Sierra Club's opposition to PG&E's clear cutting plan!

https://www.sierraclub.org/california/cnrcc/pge-clearcuts-power-lines

Nobody said anything about "clear cutting" mitch

RedShift | 30. Oktober 2019

He believes it, because the denier, discredited site Wattsupwiththat filled his brain with that propaganda.

Read the ‘Reception’ paragraph here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Up_With_That%3F

He will believe it no matter what the facts show.

Just like he believes there is no AGW.

Leave him to stew in his own ignorance, and don’t take anything he says seriously.

andy.connor.e | 30. Oktober 2019

I dont hear anyone talking about how great of an example this is to get solar. Could literally prevent fires by doing micro-grids, and getting rid of PG&E. I'd like to see people literally stop the maintenance truck from lifting someone up to trim back branches. They say environmentalists are not letting them, but are they really? Or are they just saying that as an excuse to not even have to try.

RedShift | 30. Oktober 2019

Andy, solar is a great investment with or without these fires. However the grid will not be going anywhere even with large scale adoption of solar.

Even if all trees are properly trimmed, the chance of fires doesn’t decrease that much.

https://ktla.com/2019/10/29/getty-fire-caused-by-tree-falling-onto-power...

Finally, large number (90%) of fires are human caused.

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-wildfires#Wildland%2...

These are facts that don’t make it to ‘Wattsupwiththat’, because Goebbels’ cult followers running that site don’t want facts anywhere near them or their followers.

Like oil companies not wanting to replace leaking gas lines because "it costs too much", this is a recurring problem that will not go away. Utility companies need to start burying their powerlines.

SCCRENDO | 30. Oktober 2019

I live in the Santa Ana Canyon. And indeed we always have fires. PG&E does not supply our electricity. Fires are cause by later rain seasons and hotter temps. Could this be climate change??? Most would think so. The winds are due to large temp differences. And yes they have always been there. But in the 30 years I have lived here fires are becoming more severe. Many are in initiated by humans either intentionally or by accident. But it is the local environment that causes them to flare up. In response to the moronic comment that the winds have always been here. Yes they have. And they have always caused severe fires. It is just that people live here now

And you dont even need to take someones word for it that fires have always been common in California. The red wood trees bark is very fire resistant, and its pine cones actually will not release its seeds until there is extremely high temperatures present, like that of a wild fire. The tree literally adapted to release its seeds after a wildfire has burned everything, and those trees are much older than we have been living in California.

teslu3 | 30. Oktober 2019

Last year the Holy Jim fire coated my new Model 3, not so white for weeks. Last month the Tenaja fire did so for a week, had to keep windows closed to block smoke from the house. Arson causes one, the other is "undetermined" though a SoCal Edison power line did break at the same time and place as the fire's origin.
Gale force very dry winds are increasing. My mind's eye sees the fuzzy dice in Jim Hanson's office: GW is slowly loading the dice and increasing the severity of such fires. Trimming trees and "brush", i.e., chaparral (aka elfin forest), is not the solution. http://californiachaparral.com/fire.html

we are not properly raking our forests according to the orange shitgibbon

make sure to vacuum your lawn once a week

MitchP85D | 31. Oktober 2019

RedShift is wrong. The WUWT article came from the Wall Street Journal! WUWT did not make up the article. They just linked it, and commented on it. Nor are they discredited as RedShift falsely claims.

RedShift | 31. Oktober 2019

Go read the wiki link on your heroes WUWT, then continue your denial.

This paragraph says it all:

"Democratic Party politicians in Sacramento have created this colossal wildfire debacle mess by their hugely misguided, monumentally incompetent and totally useless climate alarmist policy priorities wasting tens of billions of dollars on globally meaningless actions while ignoring the disastrous failures of the state to deal with its forest management responsibilities."

If you Californians spent your money on forest management instead of this silly climate alarmism, the much better off you would be is dealing with your wildfires!

Make that, "the much better off you would be in dealing with your wildfires."

andy.connor.e | 31. Oktober 2019

They spend money providing a place for people to do drugs safely.

But I will continue to pay my FEMA premium each year. I know humans are imperfect, and we all need a helping hand from time to time. Even to cover for state government incompetence.

How many of you Californians pay a FEMA premium?

Living in areas that are known to have wildfires is not any different from living in areas that are known to have flooding. Choice is yours, but when you have a choice to live in a hazard zone like that or not, it sometimes confuses me as to why you might choose the risk.

TabascoGuy | 31. Oktober 2019

Lower rent?

Lower rent and higher insurance premiums. Sign me up

rxlawdude | 31. Oktober 2019

Ah, Mitch. Quoting an opinion and proffering it as some kind of proof he's right.

Sad.

RedShift | 31. Oktober 2019

@mitch

Was that paragraph from your denier site WUWT? If so, please allow me to flush it down the toilet so it can be with it’s friends.

SCCRENDO | 31. Oktober 2019

I hate to interrupt this thread with some climate change facts
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/world/climate-environment/c...

SCCRENDO | 31. Oktober 2019

Even Rex Tillerson understands climate change
https://apple.news/AtPOvI7E2RGumRMGl9-aRTw

MitchP85D | 01. November 2019

The paragraph comes from the Wall Street Journal RedShift and Hellasmarter dude! All WUWT did was link the article.

Bottom line, you Californians need to focus on managing your forests while Southeast Texas works on our flooding problems. Blaming climate change is a cop out!

andy.connor.e | 01. November 2019

You cant stop forest fires, and you cant stop flooding. Insurance is not a solution.

RedShift | 01. November 2019

Mitch,

If you read the link I posted about how the Getty fire was started, you’d not be commenting blithely like you just did.

If you had read the article I linked showing 90% of the wildfires are human caused, you would not have commented blithely like you did.

Seriously, do you even bother to understand another point of view and some reading of facts as they are, or you just filter out only things that match your delusion?

Andy, if a tornado takes your roof off, will insurance be a solution then?

How about crashing your car. Will insurance be a solution? Same thing. Sh*t happens in life.

Andy, do you live in a place that has absolutely no threat from a natural hazard? Where is that place? How many of those places exist in the world?

RedShift, from what I understand, the primary problem in California is that tree branches fall on power lines, thus sparking many of the wildfires. Is that not correct? And if that is correct, you Californians need to channel funds towards clearing trees away from your power lines.

In Texas, we are spending money dredging our bayous to help channel our flood waters out to sea.

These are common sense, practical solutions.

Its the difference from living in a flood zone, and living 20 miles away in an area that does not flood. Perhaps insurance would be a viable solution if you live in a flood zone, if when you are flooded out the insurance moves you out of the flood zone rather than fixing your house so it can flood again.

If a tornado rips my roof off? Where do i live? Do i live in an area where there are dozens of tornadoes EF3 or greater per year? If so thats a horrible place to live and would follow the same guidelines. Perhaps build underground if tornadoes are a large problem.

Mitch, you did not read the link in detail. The tree was over 30 feet away, and the wind still blew the branch into the power lines.

So what’s the threshold? 30ft? 100? 300? Is it practical to cut trees in a private property?

Also, even if you address this by cutting trees in a very large area around the power lines, you still need to deal with the 90% other problem. Humans, who cause that % of all wild fires.

Think a bit, hopefully that will lessen your tribal anti-California, anti-liberal diatribes.

BTW, Texas in number two in the link I provided for wild fire risk to properties.

Again, reading and thinking help curb ignorant comments.

rxlawdude | 01. November 2019

"The paragraph comes from the Wall Street Journal RedShift and Hellasmarter dude! All WUWT did was link the article."

Hey dummy, you omitted in your quote above that was from the OPINION PAGE of WSJ. Not a journalistic, researched article.

I've concluded you must work for the Trump Administration, as you seem to pull "evidence" from sources as reliable as Pravda.

Im sure that everyone who cites bad sources must be a trump supporter

rxlawdude | 01. November 2019

@andy, no, but Trump supporters seem to be divorced from facts.

I dont think that supporting Trump has anything to do with that. They were divorced from facts prior

Andy, here is a fact for you -

FACT: Floods can happen anywhere--More than 20 percent of flood claims come from properties outside the high risk flood zone.

https://www.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program/How-Buy-Flood-Insu...

Andy, every year somebody gets flooded where they thought it doesn't flood!

By the way, any of you Californians smelling smoke?

andy.connor.e | 04. November 2019

"FACT: Floods can happen anywhere--More than 20 percent of flood claims come from properties outside the high risk flood zone."

Not sure why this wouldnt be expected given rising temperatures and expected increasing severity of storms.

SCCRENDO | 04. November 2019

@andy. He is just like Trump. When the facts don’t suit his story he either repeats them anyway or just makes up more. These tactics do tend to work on stupid people. And sadly there are enough in this country that believe Trump. Unfortunately for our weathermoron he does not have many stupid people on these threads that believe him. So his strategy does not work.

andy.connor.e | 04. November 2019

Sounds like this is a stupid people problem, and a symptom of which is presidential support, in which the former is the disease.

MitchP85D | 04. November 2019

The Hot-Dry Windy Fire index is the main issue involved with California wildfires. Not climate change.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2019/11/california-wildfires-climate-change-...

As usual, Dr. Spencer is right on this one. But this offends the devout believers of the Great New Age Religion.

RedShift | 04. November 2019

As usual, you trot out the denier who was forced to correct his data on climate change denial.

Spencer’s and Christy were both forced to correct their data and show a warming trend as opposed to the faked cooling trend they tried to push through.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/20...

BTW it’s going to get to 80 F in Fremont this week. In November!

As an avid skier it’s very troubling to see the trend this winter.

Reminds me of the disastrous 2013 winter when we had just 40% of season totals.

jimglas | 04. November 2019

50 in Breck this weekend. No since skiing in slush in November.

Pages