Forums

FSD required for auto lane change?

FSD required for auto lane change?

The manual states: “When Autosteer is active on a vehicle equipped with Auto Lane Change, you can use the turn signals to move Model 3 into an adjacent lane.” However, it is not clear what vehicles are equipped with auto lane change. At least it does not seem to work on mine, which does not have FSD.

hokiegir1 | 22. August 2019

Either FSD or the old and no longer available EAP is needed.

dangerl7e | 22. August 2019

It is very NOT logical to me, why they would take away such a not self-driving feature and put it into the FSD package!!! FSD has already enough to offer. The lane change should've been part of regular AP.
But to answer your question, YES, you do need the FSD package to change lanes automatically

trevorrichards4 | 22. August 2019

+1 hokiegir1 is correct.....its unfortunate that Tesla has broken up features of EAP & separated some of it's functionality into FSD.....makes it confusing for new buyers

leo33 | 22. August 2019

@dangerl7e I'm guessing they wanted to start differentiating the FSD package, and lane change and NoA were the available separable features that they could do it with.

VolleyballNE1 | 22. August 2019

AP=2000, EAP=5000. That's the difference. You have to pay to play.
I believe people were asking for just TACC(didn' want to pay extra for EAP features), so Tesla answered the call and re categorized their offering to give everyone TACC at the very least.

vmulla | 22. August 2019

AP with lane change features is excellent value. If that package were offered Tesla would likely take a hit on FSD sales.

It's smart option packaging from Tesla.

The folks who got EAP are just lucky, they got the best deal in my opinion.

lbowroom | 22. August 2019

AP $2000 + FSD $6000 = $8000

EAP $ 5000 + FSD $3000 = $8000

Make a little more sense now?

wiscy67 | 22. August 2019

Declined both packages when I ordered in March. $0 + $0 = $0
But still receive lane departure and collision avoidance safety features. I get to do the driving the way I enjoy and my car keeps me safe. Perfect solution for me.

dangerl7e | 22. August 2019

@lbowroom
I got lucky, AP was part of the SR+ deal (or did it come with all M3?)
So I got my FSD for $0+$6000=$6000 total.

CharleyBC | 22. August 2019

@wiscy67, we’re in for both EAP and FSD, but there are plenty of times I decide the car shouldn’t get all the fun, so I drive all by myself!

"I got lucky, AP was part of the SR+ deal (or did it come with all M3?)
So I got my FSD for $0+$6000=$6000 total."

The "free" AP got rolled in with a $1500 price increase I believe

M3BlueGeorgia | 22. August 2019

@lbowroom Right, no free lunch.
Tesla just made AP mandatory. They also just fixed the Model Y pricing to make AP mandatory.

Now, Tesla should offer EAP as a $3K enhancement to owners with AP. That'd be a really good option to offer.

That would generate income for Tesla without having to update the hardware.

Bighorn | 22. August 2019

@lbow
I think the full $2000 got roiled into the base price, so everybody is “paying” $8k for full boat.

No way auto lane change belonged in dumbed-down, discounted AP.

Syed.Hosain | 22. August 2019

@VolleyballNE1 "I believe people were asking for just TACC(didn' want to pay extra for EAP features), so Tesla answered the call and re categorized their offering to give everyone TACC at the very least."

I'd love for Tesla to unbundle and provide TACC for a lower price! That is the only thing I have liked when I tried it, and it is missing in my non-EAP LR RWD that I picked up in July last year!

At the moment, it is $3k for me to get AP ... with some features (other than TACC) that I don't really want.

bjrosen | 22. August 2019

Tesla did the right thing by putting everything except the basic safety features into the FSD package. $6K is a lot of money so you need to make the package as valuable as possible based on the features that they already have not the features that they may have in the future at some indeterminate date. If they ever achieve true Full Self Driving, I'm highly skeptical, then they might want to go back to offering an intermediate tier like EAP, but for now stripping out most everything from basic AP and putting it into FSD is the only thing that makes financial sense for them.

ahostmadsen | 23. August 2019

Thanks for the replies. At least now I know it’s not supposed to work. Yesterday I felt like an idiot driver signaling like mad for a lane change that never happened.

cybergrafx | 23. August 2019

I purchased EAP when Auto Lane Change was part of the package. When Tesla moved that feature into the FSD packaged I called to see if I still had it. They told me I still had all the features I paid for... But I could never get it to work.
I hate all the price drops and package changes after I bought. I feel so ripped off. But here let me give you another $3k so I can for sure have all the features that I paid for.... until the next price/package change. Need some more money?

vmulla | 23. August 2019

@cybergrafx,
If you paid for EAP and if it's showing on your purchase contract you should be able to make lane changes. Please check the settings.
If you have the correct settings then you should ask for what you paid for - it might be a small error that is preventing you from using the feature.
If you're considering FSD that's great, but you don't have to buy FSD to get auto lane changes.

vmulla | 23. August 2019

If you're considering FSD that's great, but you don't have to buy FSD to get auto lane changes - *because you already have EAP

trevorrichards4 | 23. August 2019

Vmulla is spot on check settings & try mad max.....loner settings wont make lane changes

trevorrichards4 | 23. August 2019

Lower settings