Forums

Porsche vs Tesla.... marketing trickery

Porsche vs Tesla.... marketing trickery

Can someone please explain to me why the Taycan being able to run at full power for ONLY 2.5 seconds before retarding power is a great thing (wow over-boost, cool!), whereas the Tesla running at full power for 1-2 minutes before retarding power is a weakness and proof it isn't track ready? The semantics of Porsche 'adding' max power for only 2.5 seconds being better than actual full power for much longer doesn't make sense, please explain beyond marketing BS.

andy.connor.e | 30. August 2019

Theres nothing like a car, designed to overheat, by design, intentionally.

gballant4570 | 30. August 2019

If your measure of the best marketeer is sales, I think you need to re-think your thread title.

spuzzz123 | 30. August 2019

why are you inviting this?

vmulla | 30. August 2019

@JAD I suggest you rewrite your title

andy.connor.e | 30. August 2019

+1 about the title. Didnt even catch that

JAD | 30. August 2019

What should the title be? I have in marketing so it isn't click bait.

gballant4570 | 30. August 2019

Substitute "con games" or some such for "marketing"

lbowroom | 30. August 2019

Marketing and con game are synonyms

vmulla | 30. August 2019

Actually I suggest you kill the thread and give it another go - if you must.

New owners read the title and OP first. They're not familiar with the forum's regular characters and might not get what you're doing. I think mostly the folks who visit the forum often read the back/forth exchanges.

raqball | 30. August 2019

Since Tesla does not really market the cars like traditional automakers do, I assume even the Yugo outspent Tesla on marketing.. Many know the fate of the Yugo...

raqball | 30. August 2019

Marketing $$$ don't really equate to sales.. Tesla's sell themselves and don't really need a ton of $$$ wasted on marketing..

Bighorn | 30. August 2019

Didn't read it, but I saw a headline that suggested Tesla was marketing in China.

Kary993 | 30. August 2019

I think it is Porsche's way of telling people it is a Turbo since that is what they are calling the high end Taycan.....what a crock os BS!

ReD eXiLe ms us | 02. September 2019

JAD informed, "The semantics of Porsche 'adding' max power for only 2.5 seconds being better than actual full power for much longer doesn't make sense..."

True. I suspect Porsche may attempt to demonstrate the sort of driving experience their customers are used to having, only with an electric car that simulates a 'turbo' spooling up, then BANG a quick kick in the pants... Effectively the reverse of what happens in a Tesla with LUDICROUS mode engaged, where there is a BANG at the beginning, then a trailoff in G-forces as speed builds.

lbowroom stated, "Marketing and con game are synonyms"

+42! Agreed.

Kary993 noted, "I think it is Porsche's way of telling people it is a Turbo since that is what they are calling the high end Taycan..."

I am not in Porsche's typical demographic of potential customers, so I had missed this particular point of marketing. Funny. Although it was never expressly said as such, I always presumed that KITT was an electric car. So whenever Michael Knight yelled, 'Turbo boost KITT! I assumed it was an anachronism, not that the car literally boosted its turbines in any way. I thought of it being like the TURBO button on old 6 MHz IBM PC AT compatibles that pushed them up to a whole 8 MHz for however long. After a while I figured that the glowing LED light was more of a placebo than an actual performance booster. I figure the 'Turbo' monniker on Porsche electric cars will act as a placebo to soothe the effects of paying so much more for a car that is slower than a cheap, subpar, underclass Tesla branded car. Yeah.

"But its a TURBO!"

vmulla | 02. September 2019
FISHEV | 02. September 2019

“ Tesla running at full power for 1-2 minutes before retarding power is a weakness and proof it isn't track ready? “@JAD

Isn’t the comparison of the Taycan’s rated power of 600 hp with no time limits to the Tesla’s 779 hp with 1-2 minute time limit? Track car vs. street car?

lph | 02. September 2019

Well, from the video, it did do 60 in 3.5, 80 in 5 flat, 90 in 5.7 approximately.
The M3P (with the latest power upgrade from a few months ago) will do 60 in 3.1, 80 in 5.1 and 90 in 6.5.
So the Taycan is a pretty quick car and can pull harder over 80 than the M3P.
SO WHAT!!
No one can legally use it on the USA roads, or for that matter just about anywhere in the world except Germany.
Under 80 the lowly M3P will leave the Tacan in the dust.
Just think what the model S Lud will do ... its almost 50% quicker than the Tacan!
Oh and the Tacan will cost much more than either Tesla. Likely 3x more than the M3P.
Still no competition IMO. Keeping my M3P.
JAD ... you are right, it looks like the 2.5 sec max boost mode is just a load of old....

JAD | 02. September 2019

No, the Tesla could run indefinitely at 600 hp, and the Porsche can only run in 700hp full power mode for 2.5 seconds before retarding to 600hp. They are the same except for marketing and the Tesla holding full power longer.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 02. September 2019

Meh.

vmulla | 02. September 2019

I was suggesting marketing trickery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That video is perfectly suited to match with the title description.

it's a burst of power for a few moments. If that's what is going to make you buy the car over the ability to actually drive around, then you have too much money to spare :))

rsingh05 | 03. September 2019

Adding to @JAD's comment - P100D's peak power is 778hp which it can sustain anytime it's in ludicrous mode, not just 1-2 seconds. Taycan Turbo's peak is somewhere above 700 (we'll find out exactly how much soon) for 1-2 seconds.

@FISHEV's comments are FISHY as always.

VW/Porsche is trying way too hard with this one.

WantMY | 07. September 2019

All Tesla are pretty much performance fakers. Tuned to get a few 0-60 jerks and flaccid it goes. Perfect example of performance faker.

carlk | 07. September 2019

Porsche is the greatest marketing company existed. Elon wants to put all resources in engineering and none in marketing. It ought to be interesting to see who will win out. I already know what the answer is. The saying you can fool some of the people....is still valid.

SamO | 07. September 2019

How many press junkets did Porsche pay for?

WantMY sounds knowledgable in the area of flaccidity. Tell us more . . .

jimglas | 07. September 2019

"Turbo" sounds so much better than a red line under dual motor.
Marketing genius!

WantMY | 07. September 2019

"No, the Tesla could run indefinitely at 600 hp" lol I did not know EV diss-er jerk invented perpetual engine, again.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 07. September 2019

WantATTENTION: So glad to find you know of gasoline cars that never run out of gas. You are surely a PreTENder.