Forums

Any tips on summon up narrow driveway?

Any tips on summon up narrow driveway?

I just upgraded to FSD on my M3P. We have a very narrow 8' wide flat driveway with a neighbor's fence on the right and our house on the right. The distance to the garage is 40 feet. I'd like have the the car drive itself into the garage and back out with summon. The problem is the car goes up about 20 feet and stops. It says "Waiting for obstacle to clear." But there is no obstacle. If I try to back out from this halfway point, it takes many times of starting and stopping to coax it down the driveway.

I've seen youtube videos of Teslas pulling into extremely tight spaces with summon. One in NYC with no more than an inch on each side of the car.

I tried "Go to Target" mode too, but it also won't work.

Any tips to get this to work appreciated.

donharvey2323 | 01. November 2019

You need to use forward and reverse in the summon page. In the car under autopilot, summon, set to tight spaces.

63strat | 01. November 2019

Ah, thank you! I never noticed the Customize button. I set it to NARROW and the car pulled all the up the driveway, and halfway into the garage. Not sure why it stopped halfway into the garage, but I'm thrilled, and this is good enough for now. This driveway is all but impossible to navigate manually. I'll try getting out tomorrow and report back.

M3phan | 01. November 2019

Do you have a lip at the garage entry? If so, higher lips will stop the car. My garage lip is about an inch and the car temporarily stops at it then slightly powers up over it and goes rest of way in.

M3phan | 01. November 2019

Also on the Customize menu, in addition to the Tight setting, you can adjust the distance to bumper, so get that set all the way as low as it goes.

63strat | 01. November 2019

Thanks. No lip, but now It stops a few feet before the garage threshold. I do have bumper setting at 12". It is a beta version, so hopefully improvements are forthcoming.

CST | 01. November 2019

If it stops, just press again and it'll start to move forward.

63strat | 02. November 2019

Problem is my garage is offset to the left by 6 inches. Because of this, when the car tries to back out, it comes within an Inch of the concrete side wall and then stops. I've tried starting and stopping, and actually that's the only way to get any progress at all, but there's no way it will make the slight jog when leaving the garage.

Would it help if I taped off some guidelines on the driveway to help guide the car?

63strat | 02. November 2019

Just tried blue guide tape, no go. The whole thing seems very beta. Just backed down the driveway, all good, but when it got to the bottom section of the driveway next to the front yard, it went crooked and heading toward the yard, but then stopped.