Forums

Tesla Hack: How to get 2019.36.x now...

Tesla Hack: How to get 2019.36.x now...

I read this somewhere and can't take any credit for this hack. My appologse if this has been already mentioned.

If you go into the software update screen, and tap the Advanced button 5 times, it will force your car to look for an update. I did it on mine and now there's a software update waiting.

Thanks to original source...

derotam | 12. November 2019

Probably coincidence. Every time you go into the software screen it checks for an update anyway.

ievgen.savenko | 12. November 2019

just tried on mine and it started downloading 2019.36.2.1

PixelatedDensity2 | 12. November 2019

Interesting I'll need to try this later

WhiteWi | 12. November 2019

Jenya, Privet

paulsurette71 | 12. November 2019

@derotam I don't think it's a coincidence. I'vebeen into the screen a million times and each time it says checking, up-to-date. But as soon as I did the 5 taps this morning. Update is now available for download. coincidence? Maybe, but it worked for me.

vmulla | 12. November 2019

It actually worked!!!
I'm downloading software 2019.36.2.1 as I type this.
Thanks

walnotr | 12. November 2019

I’m skeptical but I will file it away to try when I’m waiting for the next update.

It's not a coincidence. I tapped advanced 5 times, nothing happened. Then I toggled between advanced and standard.
I was about to give up and walk away when I saw the progress bar for software update pop up.

roberts | 12. November 2019

I just tried it. It worked immediately (within seconds it began a download to .2019.36).

Awesome glad it's working...

@walnotr: me too, I will wait for the next few updates and try it.

@vmulla, your description indicates that the 5 taps didn't do anything...since you said as much, and then you started doing other things before it started downloading...jury is still out with me. :)

MAB1980 | 12. November 2019

It works.

“ It's not a coincidence. I tapped advanced 5 times, nothing happened. Then I toggled between advanced and standard.
I was about to give up and walk away when I saw the progress bar for software update pop up.”

I didn’t have to toggle. After hitting advanced repeatedly (more than 5), it went into “searching for updates” mode. Now it’s downloading over my WiFi hotspot.

@derotam,
What can I say? :)
All this happened within a couple of minutes. All I can share now is that I now have the software installed :) I did not have the software download option before I tried this.

Perhaps suggest a control experiment so that someone else can try?

The only experiment that can even think to get any data to analyze would be for people to try the "hack" EVERY time a new release of the software comes out, and I am talking as soon as you see it pop up on TeslaFi, immediately go to your car and try it.

I have gotten updates right away in the past, and days later as well, so only by trying to get it as soon as you see the first person on TeslaFi get it can you attempt to correlate a cause and effect.

I use TeslaFi as the data source because it seems to have the largest % of vehicles reporting data.

@derotam The only thing I can respond with is, every time I went into my car, I would go to the software update screen and it would spin and say I'm up to date. I tried the hack, and boom, update is now available. It's worth noting, that it took my car two weeks to get v10, after it was in the wild. no idea if this works on zero day, but it worked this morning after learning about the hack. When I get home tonight I'll download it off my home WiFi.

@paulsurette71: it is one data point.

hassan | 12. November 2019

Toggling it worked for me. Download stared and it's installing 36.2.1 now.

Hope Tesla doesn't turn it off for the next update to prevent server overloads when every rushes to updated this way.

bp | 12. November 2019

@hassan indeed...

This Easter egg also worked for me.

PECo CT | 12. November 2019

It worked for me.

dave | 12. November 2019

I just hit "Software" and it checked for software updates ... then started downloading.
Maybe I got lucky, or maybe the new update is finally being pushed to everybody.

jimglas | 12. November 2019

Could be incidental
Looks like being pushed out en masse right now
Went from 2% to 20% overnight

swanson21 | 12. November 2019

Didn't need to do the "hack", it just started downloading, albeit very slowly, once I opened the software screen.

stingray.don | 12. November 2019

Wow! Just tapped out “Elon Musk” in Morse code on the Advanced button, and I got full self-driving with no nags! It also upgraded me to a Performance model with Plaid mode!

Okay, calm down. It’s just a joke. :)

rnbows | 12. November 2019

worked for me. downloading now.

derotam | November 12, 2019
@paulsurette71: it is one data point.

Sure, and correlation isn’t causation, but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised if tesla has some easy way techs can manually trigger updates without plugging in.

lbowroom | 12. November 2019

Everyone I know with a model 3 got it last night without tapping the screen

Mike UpNorth_ | 12. November 2019

Best.
Thread Post.
Ever.

Downloading now.....yessssssssss

neylus | 12. November 2019

I pressed it once and it found the update. Maybe this is the new order of things.

rpc_in_va | 12. November 2019

Tapped the button 10 times (2x5) and a minute later it started downloading. More than coincidence it seems, but it’s not clear under what circumstances it would work either.

neylus | November 12, 2019
I pressed it once and it found the update. Maybe this is the new order of things.
---
Just once? Not 5 times?

jimglas | 12. November 2019

Probably Incidental: it appears to be pushing to everybody.

hokiegir1 | 12. November 2019

On my way home from work last night, I opened the Software menu. It refreshed and said "Your car is up to date."

30 minutes after I got home, I got a "Software Update available" alert. So basically, as soon as I connected to wifi, it started downloading, despite the fact that 20 minutes before that, it said there was nothing to download.

All this to say -- could be coincidence. I second whoever said it'll be confirmed later when someone tries it early in the rollout rather than once it's already started the big push.

SteveWin1 | 12. November 2019

Agree w/ jimglas. It rolled out to pretty much everyone all at once -- right when this thread showed up, so its hard to tell if its real or not. Next time there's a small update, it will be interesting to try. I'm skeptical, but would be very happy to be wrong.

jonabramson | 12. November 2019

My car has been sitting all night in the garage. No update. Was still on 32.12.2. I switched back and forth from advance to standard. On the fifth time, it immediately started downloading 36.2.1. I'm calling this, confirmed.

Magic 8 Ball | 12. November 2019

I would like to apologize to all the chickens I sacrificed to get this update, had I known about this button pushing thing earlier.................

howard | 12. November 2019

@paulsurette71

Great information. Thank you for the post.

M3D | 12. November 2019

Now lets all test this on a non peak download day.... I think it is rolling out en mass and anything you do while on good WiFi that causes it to check, marks you for download. I went shopping last night and I pulled into the garage and plugged in and then went inside it started downloading. ….not that I wont tap the button 1000 times next time.

Prashanthsharma | 12. November 2019

Worked for me !!

Joshan | 12. November 2019

odd, not working for me

agkulcz | 12. November 2019

It worked for me earlier - rather surprisingly. However, now that it is out, how long do you think it will take Tesla to patch their update roll-out system so that this does not work in the future?

calvin940 | 12. November 2019

@M3D | November 12, 2019
Now lets all test this on a non peak download day.... I think it is rolling out en mass and anything you do while on good WiFi that causes it to check, marks you for download.
--------------
For jonabramson that didn't download on the previous 4 update checks when he toggled back and forth. The fifth one however did. Seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

I also had my friend try it and he initially flipped from advanced to standard and back. tapped 5 times and it started downloading.

I think this is likely a hidden tech mechanism to force download.

The problem is, now that it's out, it will probably be squashed by Tesla (at least that method).

Joshan | 12. November 2019

after a reboot it worked.

Bated Breath | 12. November 2019

I read about this hack this morning. I tried it when I went home for lunch and it worked. I expect Tesla to kill this hack to prevent their servers from crashing. I'm super glad to receive the latest sodtware.

linhta2006 | 12. November 2019

It's 9Pm Eastern time. Not working for me!

walnotr | 12. November 2019

I accidentally tapped 6 times and now I’m back to Version 8! :-D

San_Diego_P3D | 12. November 2019

Worked for me! Love the new update

timmaryboyd | 12. November 2019

Where is the "Advanced" button on the Software release screen? The only item I can press on the software screen is the "Release Notes" to the left of the software version #. The version I have is: V9.0 (2019.12.1.2)

tanуa | 12. November 2019

What kind of a software engineer would design something like this? Makes no sense.

Pages