Forums

Reduced regen

Reduced regen

This is the first winter weather with my M3. I’ve had reduced regen before and the regen still worked. Today, @28 degrees, I had no regen at all for the first 2-3 miles. Is that normal at these temperatures?

Joshan | 13. November 2019

yes, warm your car up for 15 mins or so before leaving. The temp of the heat does not matter for the battery heating, just has to be on.

FISHEV | 13. November 2019

I'm seeing it also and just 40-50's. The dotted line indicating lower regen. Just something we'll see in colder weather for those of us with our first winter in an EV.

derotam | 13. November 2019

Yep, perfectly normal. Though I will say anecdotally that I don't think 15 minutes is going to do it. It was about that temp for me this morning and even sitting for 5 minutes with battery preconditioning on did not do anything noticeable in increasing the battery temperature required for regen to come back at all.

Kathy Applebaum | 13. November 2019

@derotam Tesla has said that regen comes back much faster with actual driving than with preconditioning. (ie 5 minutes of driving is more effective than 5 minutes of preconditioning)

kevin_rf | 13. November 2019

The most energy efficient way to warm the battery is to charge it. Several forum members bump up the charge limit 5% shortly before they leave.

Did that today before heading to Springfield. It was 28 all day, but I had a warm battery. Arrived home tonight with 40 miles range remaining.

gballant4570 | 13. November 2019

kevin_rf +1

Warming charge for an hour before leaving in cold weather, and cabin heating on shore power as well. Not only your regen will be much better, your road efficiency/range will appreciate it.

@Kathy: that is not accurate, at least not with an outside temperature of 4C. See the bottom of my OP here https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/temperatures-vs-time-short-drivegr...

After that drive I still hadn't recovered half of the lost regen. I would be willing to bet that at a stand still with Preconditioning on, that I would have recovered all my regen within 30 minutes max. I will be attempting to test tomorrow morning.

Let me also say that this is in regards to a RWD car

NKYTA | 13. November 2019

Timing your charging to finish right before you leave (at whatever percentage) is the best way to have a toasty battery, unless you have to dial down the amps too far. At home this leads to inefficient charging (marginally higher electricity cost). At a Destination Charger I wouldn’t worry about the extra pennies the establishment will incur if I’m paying $130 for a room. I’ve easily done the latter more digits than hands and feet. Depending on Level II vs HPWC, there is a learning curve to find the sweet spot for amps, but a little trial and error and you’ll get it.

FISHEV | 13. November 2019

If this is post 2019.35.x.x update, I find the new "Hold" regen setting to seem to have softer regen for most of the range and then more aggressive regen at the very end to stop.

I like the full stop but I liked the more aggressive in the midrange.

Just impressions in first couple of days.

gballant4570 | 13. November 2019

No difference in expense for many of us - I pay 11 cents/kwh all the time.

NKYTA | 13. November 2019

@gballant, don’t confuse total expenditures with efficiency from the wall to the car. Lower amps are worse, unless you have no other choice.

keytickler00 | 13. November 2019

I too noticed that regen is greatly limited or nonexistent in cool-cold temps we've had this past week. It sometimes returns after driving ~20-30 minutes, and sometimes not. The main inconvenience is that with the greater drain on the battery generally in cold temps, without regen the reduction in range at the end of a commute is much greater. I assume I'll have to get used to this in winter.