Forums

Next Spain question: updates

Next Spain question: updates

Everyone’s thrilled with the latest update.
Will the car be able to update in Spain?

Chewbacca | 14. November 2019

A US car that is

Bighorn | 14. November 2019

Not likely

CharleyBC | 14. November 2019

I have extreme reluctance to disagree with Bighorn, whom I consider our number one expert on pretty much everything. But I would think with a WiFi connection you'd get software updates wherever you are.

To me the bigger deal is you're shipping your car to Spain! I gather there may be another thread on this since your title is "Next Spain question", implying a previous one. But I think you have other issues as well.

lbowroom | 14. November 2019

Except, the signal to initiate download comes over LTE

I’m not sure, but
Tesla has said they won’t in the past.
Updates are car and country specific.
LTE initialization is dependent on the AT&T network and it won’t work abroad. A SIM card change might get around it.

I’m new to the forums and have already learned that Bighorn is a wealth of information. Unfortunately, he’s not telling me what I want to hear! It comes down to whether I want to take my chances as a comparable Model 3 in Spain is around $55,000. vs about 36 to pay off my loan and ship.
And yes, there’s another thread where my multitude of issues has been pointed out:)

Sorry. I do my best to give good info without too much shading. I've been accused of being a fanboi, but more a realist in actuality. Europe got on the EV band wagon long ago, so there might be more economical options outside the Tesla family or perhaps a used 3 from someone who decided to trade up. I can relate to wanting to preserve assets in retirement, though,

jim | 14. November 2019

Another way to get around it would be to setup a VPN connection on your phone using a US based exit point. Then use the phone as a hot spot.

@jim
I’ve read that that won’t work, but I don’t know why. Is that the same as setting up a microcell and initializing it in the US? That’s what I read about as a suggestion that was shot down.

jim | 14. November 2019

@Bighorn: It wouldn't surprise me if it failed. One of the big challenges with VPN's (and TOR) is that the exit points become well known and many websites and companies will block their traffic. I could also imagine that Telsa is smart enough to know where their cars are really located and would not be "fooled" by a VPN or TOR, but this is just a guess on my part.

If you really wanted to get hard core about making it work and had a friend in the US that is a little tech savvy, you could setup a site-to-site VPN. Unless Telsa "knows" where their cars are located like I mentioned above, a site-to-site VPN would pretty much have to work. Home firewall routers generally don't have that feature, but almost all firewalls designed for businesses do. You could even use pfSense which is a free open source firewall (and is quite good).

It would be very informative if the OP tried something like this and let us know the outcome.

i can’t even begin to tell you how far over my head you guys have gone. But I want to do this badly enough I will find an IT guy to help me explore that. I refuse to accept that this is insurmountable!

Magic 8 Ball | 14. November 2019

Are there hardware differences? I.E. head and tail lamps?

greg | 14. November 2019

@Chewbacca

Be aware that Tesla specifically considers a US Tesla vehicles exported to/operated in Europe to be "Gray vehicles".

That means in specifics according the the Tesla document I have related to ownership experience for owners of US vehicles outside North America the following:

1. Connectivity, infotainment and/or Drivers assistance features (e..g Autopilot, navigation etc) may be impaired or inaccessible.
2. Tesla does not service gray vehicles in so-called gray markets where Tesla has no service presence. .
3. At Tesla's sole discretion that may service gray vehicles in core markets (like Europe), with some limitations. They will normally repair if "operationally feasible".
4. No safety recalls, Mobile service,
5. Roadside assistance, OTA updates parts are not guaranteed

On top of all the other issues/limitations already pointed out.

[part 1]

greg | 14. November 2019

I'd suggest seriously getting a secondhand Model 3 from anywhere in the EU over trying to persist with importing your US model 3.

Thanks for the detailed summary Greg