Forums

Windshield replacement

Windshield replacement

Any recommendation for windshield replacement for model X in Bay Area? Going to Tesla Service center, Tesla approved body shop or Auto Glass repair?

bkkanu | 22. November 2019

Any recommendation for windshield replacement for model X in Bay Area? Going to Tesla Service center, Tesla approved body shop or Auto Glass repair?

jimglas | 22. November 2019

Only Tesla can replace your windshield. And they have to re-align your sensors after.
And they don't work with insurance companies, you will have to bring your receipt and get reimbursed

Pelicans | 22. November 2019

“Hi tech auto glass” in Redwood City. I had a chip repaired there and spoke with the owner. He does a lot of Tesla’s and has for a while now. His quality was very good on my repair and I was not surprised to see his yelp status be on the extremely good side.

bkkanu | 27. November 2019

Thanks folks. I got a chip repair done for now. The tech told me it should stops the further cracking. The front surface turnout smooth, however there is an internal visible mark. The quote from Tesla was $1600, so I guess a small visible mark will do for now.

Coldfire73 | 28. November 2019

@Jimglas - Note thats not correct for the UK. I had a chip that was too large to repair, as part of most car insurance packages in the UK, we have coverage for windscreen repair/replacement (£50 excess for me). The replacement was carried out at a third-party windscreen repair company (Autoglass) using a replacement from Tesla. They did advise that the sensors would need recalibrating, theTesla SC actually stated that they didn't unless Autopilot didn't work.

Unlike most other car makes, they can't do this off site (IE at your home or office), as they require two people and (apparently) a heavier lift for the size of the windscreen than they have in their mobile vans. Still.. no problems with the fitting, and no particular wait for the replacement windscreen.

jimglas | 28. November 2019

@Cold: I am sure you are correct. I should have said "In CO, USA"

evasso | 28. November 2019

Need help getting service in Port St. Lucie Florida .Car purchased in Canada.
evasso@cogeco.ca