Forums

IIHS has wrong trim level

IIHS has wrong trim level

USAA (my primary insurance), Progressive, Limu, and all other insurers are quoting my 2015 Model S 85 as a P85 because that's how it's listed in the IIHS database. My car is a vanilla 85, no AWD, no Performance. I've offered proof of my car's build, e.g. side-by-side photos of my MCU and a P model, but insurers claim their hands are tied, Tesla will not respond to my message on Facebook asking them to correct the info, and IIHS doesn't talk to mere consumers. Meanwhile I'm paying a good $600 more per year for this clerical SNAFU. Does anyone have any idea how to straighten this out?

lilbean | 09. Dezember 2019

Same here with my x but I'm not worried about it. My insurance went down.

CoinFitz | 09. Dezember 2019

If my premium had gone down I'd not be concerned, but there's also the possibility of being accused of insurance fraud if I have a claim. If my 85 is involved in a collision and the adjuster notes that it's written as a higher-value model, that's going to lead to problems.

TeslaTap.com | 09. Dezember 2019

@CoinFitz - Document it. Send your insurance company an email explaining your car is an S85, not the P85 that the insurance is wrong on. Not sure even Tesla can fix errors at IIHS. Some companies insure for a specific valuation. For example, when I got my first S, the insurer didn't even have Tesla in the database! They wrote the insurance for the value I paid for the car.

You might consider changing carriers. You might even check if Tesla's insurance is cheaper if available in your area. My guess is Tesla's insurance should have the right version.

Just for interest, have you run the VIN to see if it specifies a performance or not? I wrote this VIN decoder specific for Tesla cars: https://teslatap.com/vin-decoder/. If the VIN was created wrong, it a whole different problem that I don't know how it could be solved. Never heard of any manufacturer changing a VIN on a car.

CoinFitz | 09. Dezember 2019

@TT I ran the VIN through your decoder before I took delivery. Position 8 value is '1', indicating either standard OR performance until 1 August 2015 (my build date is 04.15).

TeslaTap.com | 09. Dezember 2019

@CoinFitz - ok, so much for that idea. Some VINs are specific and will clearly state Standard or Performance. I suspect the insurance company is using only the VIN, and when in doubt, they assume Performance, which sucks.

CoinFitz | 10. Dezember 2019

@TT I called IIHS this morning. The young lady sounded confused when I described the issue, so I made her repeat it back to me. She said she'd forward it to the database guy. We'll see.