Forums

Leaves in Climate Fan Making Noise

Leaves in Climate Fan Making Noise

Love my Model 3, except.....The fan makes a god awful clicking noise now. The noise is due to leaves getting all the way into the climate system. Took it in for repair of this issue, technician said the problem requires massive amounts of work (they have to get to the back of the central dash area to access the fan) and I would be charged for it. Car is 6 months old, under warranty, fix should be free. This shouldn't be happening so fast. Its obviously a design flaw that allows leaves, from trees, to make it all the way to the climate control fan. Trees drop leaves. They drop them on cars. Cars should be designed to prevent leaves from penetrating into hard to reach areas. Not dissimilar to rain water. Cars are designed to prevent rainwater from entering into the depths of the car and creating damage. I installed an after-market screen to prevent future leave infiltration. In the meantime, Tesla needs to do the right thing and fix the insanity causing leaf infiltration. Everyone else save yourself from this easy to prevent horror and install a screen.

andy.connor.e | 10. Dezember 2019

Its obviously a design flaw. My previous car, a yellowjacket bee got into my cabin through the intake. How? Design flaw.

gballant4570 | 10. Dezember 2019

I live in the woods. I've had my fill of:

Squirrel chewed wiring and other plastic parts
Sap on paint
Oak pollen strings, maple seeds with flags, tiny twigs getting into ductwork and other small places

So I built a couple of garages, and no longer have those problems, or even snow on cars. No cars in the driveway while clearing snow either......

But leaves? I think its seeds and pollen strings/material, and maybe tiny twig pieces......

Just a little nit-picking to brighten your day.....

Magic 8 Ball | 10. Dezember 2019

Should be able to take air blower with long semi flex nozzle using access from intake or filter plenum to blow debris free from squirrel cage.

bp | 10. Dezember 2019

“I installed an after-market screen to prevent future leave infiltration.”

How’s it working? Got a link?

Stinnett | 10. Dezember 2019

bp:
I installed this one just as fall made its way to my neck of the woods (southern Indiana). There was already one leaf in the channel but easily removed before making it any further. Installing this screen takes less than five minutes. I am sure there are others just like this one, too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VL7H5W2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

Life is good but its better in a (leafless) Tesla.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 10. Dezember 2019

I cut to shape 1/2" galv. wire screening and placed it in the air intake opening. It works great and I can remove it if I need to get at something that got past it. The after market screens are more restrictive to airflow, and once you install it, it's permanent. I saw a post on reddit where 1/4" screen was attached to under side of the cars inlet grill. He did a nice job on it.

rxlawdude | 10. Dezember 2019

I like the idea of using screen material, but that customized cover looks pretty good. (Some complaints about fit and finish and hole alignment on Amazon.)

I'm thinking some screen mesh like @CRAIG is cheap and easy. Trick will be how to secure it.

M3phan | 10. Dezember 2019

The YouTube abive shows the fella making it out of wore mesh so the airflow doesn’t seem restricted but it will catch debris fairly well I would think. Also shows how he attached it.

Another forum poster, @ trimble2, had a good idea of securing the mesh with zip ties over wire to prevent chewing into the plastic cowel.