Forums

Tesla please add a hot spot

Tesla please add a hot spot

Now that they've figured out how ot charge for premium connectivity I'd like them to add a hot spot. On Star charges $10/month for 1Gbyte and $20/month for unlimited, I'd be happy to pay Tesla the same amount.

teslamazing | 10. Dezember 2019

They got cellular devices with hotspot nowadays ..

andy.connor.e | 10. Dezember 2019

Just gotta hold out long enough for starlink

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 10. Dezember 2019

Old-schoolers don't know how to use cellphones :)

How will older schoolers operate a Tesla with hotspot ?

bjrosen | 10. Dezember 2019

I'm using my phone as a hotspot now, I'd prefer if the car had one. Hotspot mode uses a lot of power, the wireless charger keeps up with the hotspot demand but that;s it, the phone's not charging up when the hotspot is on. Also there are limits to hotspot usage with unlimited plans, better to have a hotspot plan for the car.

Good argument.

CharleyBC | 10. Dezember 2019

I think car-as-hotspot would be fair if there were a charge, such as @bjrosen mentioned in the OP. $10 increment for hotspot, so $20 total for those on the new pay-for-premium plan, or just the $10 increment for those on the legacy lifetime premium plan.

But I wonder about another factor. Might Tesla be concerned about a heavy data use hotspot connection competing with the car's own need for data? I've already seen times when the LTE is weak and the map images lag. If it's sharing bandwidth with your laptop, for example, that could reduce the car's data performance. Just a thought...

sumankalyan | 10. Dezember 2019

It's be nice to at least have the option. Mind that Tesla and your phone, if on different network, will theoretically back each other up for internet access.

Never used hot spot in my previous cars. 3 kids. I don't want them to be on devices while we drive.

We talk, listen to music and play fun games.

BradPDX | 10. Dezember 2019

Since everyone (usually family members) in my car has a phone that is perpetually connected to the internet via their own cellular connection, I find that hot spots are largely redundant and irrelevant. The only use case I can think of are for devices without cell connections, but all that leaves are the laptops.

When I've discussed hot spots with others, they say the same thing - my phone is already connected, what more do I need? I think hot spots are a remnant of another era when cell plans were tiny and slow. Not so anymore.

terminator9 | 10. Dezember 2019

A WiFi only tablet is usually much cheaper than the same device with SIM card support + $10/month from AT&T/Verizon per device. Usually, you only need that in the car (longer trips) as you have WiFi at home. So, a see a valid use case.

ftm3 | 10. Dezember 2019

Just use an old cell phone and a data only SIM. Works great, allows my Black Vue to always be connected.

Varricks | 14. Dezember 2019

My Model 3 has hotspots in every seat. Very nice this time of year, where the weather here in California can dip below 50°F at night. Brrrrrr.