Forums

Musk says SR+ will get heated rear seats through OTA

Musk says SR+ will get heated rear seats through OTA

Devilstower | 13. Dezember 2019

Cool. Shouldn’t be difficult since it worked until a couple of updates ago. And it has been missed by my passengers.

lbowroom | 13. Dezember 2019

The ask was for a paid upgrade to which he replied sure.

RudyElectric | 13. Dezember 2019

Are you guys saying the rear seats have the hardware for heating. And we just need the upgrade to operate them?

Yes

What do heated seats go fully these days OEM? Like $500-$750?

PteRoy | 13. Dezember 2019

Can someone explain this to me. So, we didn’t pay for them but premium interior did? So they just put the hardware in my sr+ for free, but put it in the other models and charged them for it?

Sarah R | 13. Dezember 2019

@PteRoy Exactly. But for those of us with "partial premium" interiors, the software controls are disabled. That's the thing with this car. Literally everything is controlled by software. So ... somewhere in the MCU computer are a bunch of parameter files. Since it's Linux there's a fair chance they're human readable. I wouldn't count on out, though.

But when someone posts a hack that reveals a method for manipulating these files, it will be "game on" for every nerd with a compiler, an editor and a Tesla. Though it is likely that tampering with the code would result in a voided warranty. It will happen, though. It's a matter of when, not if.

They didn’t put them in separately. They only have one production seat that includes them.

loomitch | 13. Dezember 2019

Personally for me, a machine with so many integral sensors and components would not have me take lightly "hacking" the cars computers. If something goes wrong with a hacked phone, computer, etc. you can simply restart it without consequence. If something were to go wrong with a 3500lbs car traveling at 70mph on the interstate, the consequences are much more serious.

Personally I wouldn't think of even trying a hack (bar voiding the warranty) for such a vehicle dependent on its electronics. In the world of ICE hacking seemed acceptable to alter fuel/timing maps, but not for me on the Tesla.

Either way, I welcome Tesla's continued work on improving cars for owners over time :)

Sarah R | 13. Dezember 2019

@loomitch Congratulations on your good sense.

But it's coming.

adoh2010 | 13. Dezember 2019

I never had rear heated seats in the SR+, not that I need them but would be nice

Devilstower | 13. Dezember 2019

No one did SR+ owners a favor by installing the heated rear seats. Tesla simply discovered that it was cheaper for the company to have a single interior. It would hurt no one to turn it on. That said, I would pay a fee for it.

adoh2010 | 13. Dezember 2019

Devilstower

I think just the superior acoustics of having the full properly-tuned Bang and Olufsen system that Audi sells for 12k and Aston sells for over 20k "and Tesla just bought the hardware from the Chinese supplier and put it in the model 3 for real cheap according to insider rumors" is worth the extra money. All that low-end bass coming from the front door speakers is causing my door panels to rattle now at 31k miles in my SR+, in the premium interior they just provide midrange bass and the low end is coming from the sub. Also the rear deck 4" speakers drown the road noise coming from the trunk area. I kinda regret not paying 3k more for the midrange and luckily for those who did there's no way for Tesla to activate those speakers in the SR+ so you'll always have that advantage you paid for.

wiscy67 | 13. Dezember 2019

adoh2010 the speakers can be activated - just not via a software update.

loomitch | 14. Dezember 2019

@Sarah R

I expect someone to hack the computers of Tesla about the same time full self driving becomes a reality.

adoh2010 | 14. Dezember 2019

wiscy67

You need the rear sub with the built in 2.1 amp for the deck speakers and a different amp with more channels for the front speakers.

pjwheeler83 | 14. Dezember 2019

Looking forward to any offers that come about from this! Fully willing to pay 3k+ for full premium interior. Elon take my money!