Forums

2019.40.50.1 Not Responding To Voice Commands

2019.40.50.1 Not Responding To Voice Commands

A few posts already on this subject. Bottom line is after the update, the car hears my voice when I push the button and speak but it's not responding and typing anything I ask in a command. Hope the bug fix comes soon. Never had this issue the moment a new release happened.

WW_spb | 24. Dezember 2019

Same here. After update voice commands don't work. Soft, hard reboot didn't help.

Granian | 24. Dezember 2019

My voice commands stopped working in anything, but typing in the media function. I have soft rebooted twice. Any suggestions?

bcmusik | 24. Dezember 2019

+1

Lonestar10_1999 | 24. Dezember 2019

With all the voice command issues, There better be a 40.50.2 soon

tdwin2000 | 24. Dezember 2019

hey the bright side in all of this is that it's happening to all of us....so as Lonestar10_1999 said it better be fixed soon....it would be one thing if we never had any voice command but now they took away what we had before with this update.

DougL66 | 24. Dezember 2019

I’m seeing the same thing. Seems to work better when not driving.....

Let me go to garage and check it out if it started to work

apodbdrs | 24. Dezember 2019

Are you enabling the mic (tap it), prior to doing the command?

Granian | 24. Dezember 2019

Did a couple of hard reboots, which restored a few functions: open glove box for one; open trunk came back as “open true” and then a notice that this command is not setup yet.

or0b0to | 24. Dezember 2019

I just picked my 2020 M3 up today (hooray!) and then got this update when I got home and connected to my wifi. Went to take the wife out for a spin to show off the new wheels and tech to be cock blocked by the voice commands not working.

They worked fine when I was picking the car up, and on the way home, but after the car rebooted from getting this latest firmware update all voice commands have stopped working.

I've tried a soft reboot, a hard reboot, different commands, sitting still in my driveway, driving, door open, door closed, etc. to no avail.

Hopefully a fix gets pushed soon... it sucks to have a brand spankin' new car that doesn't work right.

Massimo76 | 24. Dezember 2019

No new voice command works (Italian language), while play "some artist" already worked in previous versions

NorthValley | 24. Dezember 2019

+1 voice commands toast. Also not picking up traffic lights nor stop signs etc

apodbdrs | 24. Dezember 2019

or0b0to, drive the car some and put some miles, it is still learning. 100 - 200 miles is best to get everything calibrated.

djharrington | 24. Dezember 2019

It’s still using the server for voice recognition so I wonder if everyone getting the update today and testing it out has really increased the load on their server. My voice commands work, but maybe only one in every three tried.

or0b0to | 24. Dezember 2019

@apodbdrs

right on man, it did take most of the drive home for the cameras to calibrate so I could use autopilot, but the Voice Commands are, I believe, a different issue.

All of the voice commands worked flawlessly when I picked the car up... it was on 2019.39.something... then when I got home on wifi 2019.40.50.1 was pushed as an update and since then *zero* voice commands work.

It acts like it can hear me (I can see the green circle pulsating when I speak) but then it just sits there with no activity or recognition of the commands spoken. No text appears on the screen, nothing.

I'm pretty sure it is directly related to this firmware update, especially now that I'm finding other people on these forums having similar issues.

LOVE the car besides this one snafu.

I think you are right about servers overload. I said open glove box and waited for about 30 secs for it to write what I said and then open glove box

I think you are right about servers overload. I said open glove box and waited for about 30 secs for it to write what I said and then open glove box

rob | 24. Dezember 2019

It was working from me earlier. But I tried again when I got home... and nothing. Does not recognize voice at all. Maybe it is the server like dj says.

tdwin2000 | 24. Dezember 2019

Not sure if this is related. Since I posted this topic I also went out to my car to login to myYoutube channel and it won't let me sign in. Tells me the server I'm using isn't able to display or something like that. I put a call in to the service center and the guy there said they are well aware of the no voice command issue and we might see a bug fix as early as tonight but should not be later than tomorrow. Getting back to the Youtube issue....has anyone else had this happen to them and if so did you fix the problem (and how if you got it working). Thanks.

Magic 8 Ball | 24. Dezember 2019

Okay, I finally got 40.50.1. Still have hardware 2.5. It took a couple hours to download and then about 30 minutes to install. Internet has been slow around here since yesterday (holidays suck bandwith away). Voice commands do seem flakey but seem to get better the longer I play with them (I wonder if there is some calibration/learning going on). So far I have turned on and off seat heaters, rear camera show me/turn off, and opened glovebox.

They do work, which is very cool (always fun to seen new functions), and I love seeing the potential. Most have gone through updates that needed improvement and they have not failed to deliver yet, hang in there.

charles.a.braun | 24. Dezember 2019

Maybe since the release notes say that the car now speaks Dinish we should try saying Åbn handskeskabet to open the glove box

charles.a.braun | 24. Dezember 2019

^Danish^

bradbomb | 24. Dezember 2019

I’m having the voice command issue, but I have a second issue, adjusting the volume does nothing for me. I see the volume indicator changing, but the volume of the music (doesn’t matter the source: radio, slacker, Bluetooth) does not actually change. I have tried multiple soft and hard reboots. Am hoping if the car goes into a deep sleep, it might fix

I’m having the voice command issue, but I have a second issue, adjusting the volume does nothing for me. I see the volume indicator changing, but the volume of the music (doesn’t matter the source: radio, slacker, Bluetooth) does not actually change. I have tried multiple soft and hard reboots. Am hoping if the car goes into a deep sleep, it might fix

Lonestar10_1999 | 24. Dezember 2019

Tdwin- the YouTube bug may be the browser issue that affected me and others. See my recent post on a work around.

Basically you browse to Plex.tv and sign in with the Google authentication. After that, all the Google apps will recognize you.

telegraham | 24. Dezember 2019

Post 50.1, same voice command issues everyone else AND "bug note" and/or "bug report" don't work anymore. Bummer.

roland.smets | 24. Dezember 2019

Same here, voice command works maybe 1 out of 10 times. Used to work just fine. I have an additional problem from day 1, when I say "Play Sunday bloody Sunday by U2" (or any other song), it can never find it, does some weird search and suggests some Podcasts. Initially I though it was related to the fact that I had not bothered logging into TuneIn, but even after I did that, my "audio" voice commands did not work. Any way, none of them work now, so hopefully the update will be out soon (and if it is the server problem, I hope they get it fixed ASAP).

vmulla | 24. Dezember 2019

I suspect the voice recognition engine was overhauled, I'm inclined to think it's learning and will get better over time.

The good thing is it's not anything that is super important and it is not any worse than broken windows.

globalMan | 24. Dezember 2019

I believe I read somewhere that in order for this release 40.50.1 to work, we needto have the HW 3 installed.

Wondering why I was able to install this release when I only have HW 2 (or 2.5?)...

dwharrison | 24. Dezember 2019

@vmulla They have been clear this is a new engine, but it was working for me in first install 5 hours ago and it’s not now. I suspect that it’s server issues aggravated by the fact that it’s Christmas Eve and more people have time to experiment.

dwharrison | 24. Dezember 2019

@globalMan If you don’t have HW3 you don’t get the new visualisations but you get everything else,

lbowroom | 24. Dezember 2019

It’s a little laggy. Could be everyone trying it out is overloading it. Random when it works and not.

Why would voice commands be a server issue, are they not autonomous to the car once the software is loaded?

How would i know? I didn’t write the code. iPhone is that way

Dsrvette06 | 24. Dezember 2019

Same issues here. I assume the voice to text (for responding to text messages) not working is related? Maybe I missed it in the thread but that’s not working for me either. Really anything to do with the car knowing when to stop listening to my voice and turn what I said into a command. Hoping for a fix soon!

@lbowroom If you were replying to me I was not asking you necessarily but there are some posts here claiming the bugginess may be server overload.

I’ve had a lot of whisky, I assume everyone is responding to me

geno.kearney | 24. Dezember 2019

LOL! Really. LOL!

dallinjhales | 24. Dezember 2019

Hmm...I'm hopping on the band wagon - no voice controls work for me. Also, when it reads messages it says the developer code for the message, not the text sent in the message. Am I worried? Nope! Awesome updates are always coming!

I love the visualizations!!

twizzler | 24. Dezember 2019

This is a bad update for folks on HW2.5, I understand the rush to get this out in time for Christmas but this was botched.

dallinjhales | 24. Dezember 2019

Hmm...I'm hopping on the band wagon - no voice controls work for me. Also, when it reads messages it says the developer code for the message, not the text sent in the message. Am I worried? Nope! Awesome updates are always coming!

I love the visualizations!!

Cheers!

I just tried it. It didn't respond to any voice control. Not even the example voice commands that show on the screen.

A U-Haul truck crossed in front of me today and the white and orange paint job showed up on the screen as traffic cones moving across right to left. That was strange!

Oops, wrong place to post that! Oh well

@Magic8Ball It would be a server issue if it functions similar to how Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant function. They offload a lot of the processing and the AI of it to a remote server so that it can learn new commands quickly and fetch information without needing a software update

sean_c_hicks | 24. Dezember 2019

Mine is having this same issue.
Sitting in a drive through line is was just abusing it with sarcasm and profanity.
Then, I kid you not, once I sarcastically said "Navigate to your moms house", it worked.

Now it's back to not working.
I agree it must be a server load issue or something.

lramesh | 24. Dezember 2019

I am having issues with voice commands too. Also i do not see the stop sign orvfc traffic sign as mentioned in the release notes. I tried rebooting twice ,still did not help.

@bradbomb So would that mean if the car is not connected to the mothership (I.E. no cell no wifi,) the voice commands would not work at all?

I tried reporting a bug, that didn't work either :))

Pages