Forums

New Car Smell / VOC off gassing Causing Brain Fog

New Car Smell / VOC off gassing Causing Brain Fog

Took delivery of a Model 3 7 days ago and am unable to drive car due to VOC off gassing.
Spoke to a service tech in Portland, OR - no help.
Since delivery, have been running car heater full blast for 3 hours with windows up. Car is limited to max interior temperature of 82 degrees F. After 3 hours of high heat, I turn the heat off and open the windows for 3 hours (under carport).
Have done this every day. Can't really tell if it has made a difference. The car still has a strong odor. The odor is so strong that it can be smelled outside of the vehicle with the windows up.
Don't have access to garage.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scrannel | 26. Dezember 2019

Assuming this is real... you may be experiencing the a/c smell. Make sure your car's vents are NOT set on recirculate, and run the a/c whenever you drive, There are more radical interventions which, I am sure, you will hear about.

Magic 8 Ball | 26. Dezember 2019

Portland, OR. Seriously.

Tom11-18 | 26. Dezember 2019

Unfortunately I had a similar response (assuming you are exaggerating) that took about 3 months before it dissipated. I also took delivery in December (2018) so I couldn't drive around with the windows open. Donate it to a friend for a month or so ;)

rxlawdude | 26. Dezember 2019

Shouldn't you have taken the 7 day return privilege?

whazupman | 26. Dezember 2019

I took delivery in Oct 2018 and had this same issue but only with heated defrost. Anytime I turned on the hot defrost it smelled like burning glue. It was so strong almost immediately. I had to roll the windows down anytime I needed to turn on the defrost to avoid a headache.
Luckily in the southeast, I did not need to defrost very often with heat. After about 6 months I didn't notice it anymore.

Twochewy | 26. Dezember 2019

New Tesla does have the “new car smell”. Some people actually like that smell. Leave your windows cracked open under the carport. It will air out in a couple weeks.

zerogravitydrgn | 26. Dezember 2019

My car smelled like any other new car I’ve had or been in.

Big_Ed | 26. Dezember 2019

Do other people think your car smells bad?

danasnews1 | 26. Dezember 2019

Bake out the car.

If you buy a new car, you can speed up the release of chemicals in the car by a process called baking out. “Baking out” a car combines heat and ventilation followed by cleaning. Raising temperatures cause chemicals to be released into the air. Ventilation makes sure the chemicals move out of the car before they are reabsorbed. To bake out a car, either leave the car in hot sun, with windows open an inch or two, or leave heat on for a number of hours. Then open windows wide and air the car thoroughly. After airing, clean all surfaces with a microfiber cloth and a tolerated less-toxic cleaner.

A mild solution of TSP in water (1 teaspoon to a quart of water) is strong enough to cut oil residues on surfaces, but is tolerable to most chemically sensitive people. Borax and washing soda, (beware, some brands of washing soda contain added scent), are other heavy duty cleaners suitable for the job. Vinegar can also be used. Microfiber cloths work well because the tiny fibers have a scrubbing effect, and grab and hold small particles. They are more effective than an ordinary cloth or sponge. Wash surfaces on a sunny day, so they dry quickly to avoid any problems with mold. For people who are chemically sensitive, this process may need to be repeated a number of times.

rxlawdude | 26. Dezember 2019

Hot sun in northern climes in December? ;-)

yeahyeah | 27. Dezember 2019

Hi cjrusso222. I've had the same issue. I know that a few others have had the same and posted about it. I was having serious lung and sinus irritation for months. It's improved after more than a year but not so much that I can really drive the car much. Very frustrating. I haven't had such severe issues with other new cards. I've driven a friends Model 3 that is much newer and it's much better. I think maybe there's a large amount of variation in glue/materials used but I'm not sure. Service has said it's all perfectly normal of course... Good luck and let me know if you find the cause/solution.

jeffcleanair | 27. Dezember 2019

Well I would have suggested placing it in direct sun light, but according to your location that would be spotty. I took delivery of mine December 24 , no issues with chemical odors at all , but I am in south Florida. Best deliver experience and car I’ve ever owned.
So with your issue, find a small ozone generator, place it in the car for 1 hour then ventilate the vehicle, do that several times and it will break down most voc’s it will smell like ozone a bit but will work in. Most cases baring there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

detayls | 27. Dezember 2019

This is bullshit.

yudansha™ | 27. Dezember 2019

Another stinky car?

Varricks | 27. Dezember 2019

I suspect a gluten insufficiency.

Get a plate. Get an apple. Dice the apple up into dice-sized pieces. Put them on the plate. Park the car, leave the plate in the passenger footwell for "a while" (many hours). Two or three of these treatments will clean up the interior smells.

cjrusso222 | 28. Dezember 2019

Thanks to all responses that took the situation seriously.
They are greatly appreciated and have helped me make better sense of what to do.

Wilber | 28. Dezember 2019

I recently purchased a used Model S that had a foul smell. Apparently the prior owner was a smoker. Ozone treatments helped some, but only reduced the intensity of the smell. As i understand it ozone only affects organic things like tobacco, mold, bacteria, food etc. I dont think it helps much, if at all with "new car smell". also, leaving car in hot sun really magnified the foul smell.
So, my suggestion is dont do the heat treatment any more it just brings out the smell. Try to leave windows fully open or cracked two inches as much as possible - for hours at a time. If you want to leave the hvac system on to help out (as in dog mode) just use fresh air or maybe AC. not heat. Good luck!

TickTock | 29. Dezember 2019

Mine was the same when I took possession. Invested in several bags of activated charcoal (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1752P8). Considered sewing a long sock to fill with the stuff to place over the vent but never got around to it. I also used a 12V ionizing filter but then you are trading VOCs for ozone which is also unhealthy so, perhaps, not too smart. Smell went away after a couple months so I stopped using the ionizing filter after than.

Scrannel | 29. Dezember 2019

Maybe been mentioned, but what about a couple boxes of fridge deodorizing baking soda? They come with a porous opening so no need to get it all over hte inside of the car. Arm & Hammer.