Forums

US CCS to Tesla Adapter?

US CCS to Tesla Adapter?

Any news at all on this? I still can't find anything other than the EU CCS adapter (which isn't compatible with north american model 3).

I was pretty excited that EVgo announced it would be adding Tesla plugs to select DCFC stations. Still, they're not the primary DCFC in my area.

Got the chademo adapter recently, which means I can use about 40% of the DCFCs in my area now. Charging would be much more reliable if I could use them all, as most newer stations around me are only CCS or have far more CCS than chademo plugs.

Sidebar - I wish 120V/240V EV charging was a mandatory requirement for apartment buildings. Mine has no plans to add any. Thankfully my work has free 120V plugs, I know it could be worse.

stevehendler | 27. Dezember 2019

I agree. At the bare minimum, apartments should be required to offer 120v 20 amp connections. We have a Blink station at my building and management doesn't want me using the spots marked as "EV Charging Station" because they want to use it for their ICE cars.

mrburke | 27. Dezember 2019

DISCLAIMER : I do NOT own any rental property.
I think it is unrealistic the require that existing apartments provide EV charging. The costs for installing it can vary widely and it is unlikely that non-EV owning tenants would be willing to accept the rent increases required to pay for it.
Now new apartment construction is a completely different matter. This should be added to the national building code.
In addition there should be some form of tax credit for adding charging infrastructure to existing apartments. But don't expect to see that with the existing administration.

gparrot | 27. Dezember 2019

The reason apartment buildings in my neck of the woods refuse to add 120V plugs is they claim it would be impossible to monitor and bill the right amount of electricity to the rightful users.

Tronguy | 27. Dezember 2019

@gparrot: Interesting.
So, I've had solar panels on the roof since 2008. In NJ, as it happens, one gets these things, SRECs, for every MW-hr of energy one generates. Therefore, one had to know how much energy one is generating every month and put that info into the right fields over at PJM-GATS web site, which runs the SREC creation/SREC marketplace; right now, for example, NJ SRECs are running a couple of hundred bucks each.
Originally, getting the info on how much energy was being created was by reading the cumulative energy values on the small LCD screens on the solar inverters. Turns out that those values are only accurate to +-10%. (And, yeah, I called and checked with the manufacturer on that.)
So, the NJ Public Utilities Commission which, among other things, regulates electric meters, got involved, since money was changing hands. Turns out that standard house electric meters are accurate to 1%. So, a requirement came out that all of us people with older solar systems were going to have to knock it off with the inverter readings and put in a for-real electric meter for the solar panel energy.
Being of a EE persuasion and seeking to do this on the cheap I spent a couple of weeks reading PUC requirements, various standards documents, and lots and lots of manufacturer data sheets, glommed off the New York PUC web site. Eventually ended up ordering this rectangular box (not one of the glass ones people usually see) with a couple of center-tapped transformers, read the installation manual, got some PVC pipe from Home Depot, and installed the thing. And paid for and got the local boro electrical inspector to come down and sign off on the work, in case any of you have any questions on the subject.
Point is: A meter is a really easy install. And this one.. It comes with an RS-422 interface and published commands. I've been playing around with the idea of hooking up an Arduino to the box, the better to monitor the energy generation.
But it's easy to see that it would be fairly trivial, I guess, to add some kind of coin-counting mechanism, vending machine style, to such a system. Drive up with a Tesla; plug into a NEMA14-50 socket, slide a few dollars and/or quarters into the change maker, and let it rip.
Probably underestimating the cost and armoring of the money-handling mechanism. But, sheesh, vending machine manufacturers must have had this figured for cheaps for ages. Instead, we get the likes of Chargepoint and Electrify America charging three or four times as much as Tesla does, as if it's super high technology.. which it isn't.

spuzzz123 | 28. Dezember 2019

You’ll just manufacture more fiction to pretend to gripe about.

gparrot | 28. Dezember 2019

FISHEV, I’m with you on this one. I could have one twice this month alone.

Used one

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 28. Dezember 2019

Fish don't care about Tesla, he has inferior MomE on pre-order

FISHEV | 28. Dezember 2019

“I could have one twice this month alone.“

Holiday season crowds at the SC’s give us a preview on why we need the CCS adapter in the US. Waits and lines at both of the SC’s I use regularly, the one near the house and the near work. It’s holiday crowding now but it will soon be every day crowding.

I had to drive past two new Electrify America 350kW/150kW charging stations to go to the EVgo 50kW Chademo. EA’s have a single Chademo for legacy EV’s like the Teslas and Leafs but the rest are all the 350kW/150kW chargers. Waiting to try one of the 350kW CCS chargers to see if Model 3 can really charge at 250kW, also what the drop off rate is for the 250kW rate.

Things to come is v3 chargers. But once again you'd int need to worry about bc you r switching to Ford and finally can use your beloved EA chargers

You don't need to worry about it*

WW_spb, there are no Tesla SuperChargers in the Gaspé peninsula, and none are planned. However, there are already CCS stations in several communities. Whatever FISHEV’s reasons are to switch, I still have to plan how to get into the Gaspé area. And for the time being, it’s a no-go.
So I’ll worry about it.

Magic 8 Ball | 28. Dezember 2019

To you guys trying to make it work where the infrastructure is not yet there for you, my hat is off to you, sincerely.

That being said bitching and moaning on internet forums about shortcomings is not going to get anything done for you guys. You are, in fact, sand in the gears of progress toward the effort to make it happen sooner for you. Step back and look at yourselves and stop your selfish whining about what is not there for you, please.

It takes time to build out and your negativity is an attempt to turn people off of EV's all together. From every angle I look at your internet bitching and moaning it only adds up to trying to stifle progress in the buildout.

bp | 28. Dezember 2019

“Legacy EVs like the Teslas”. LMAO.

TeslaTap.com | 28. Dezember 2019

I'm all for additional options, but CCS is not going to help much. When the 40 stall SC location is full, do you expect the 1 to 2 stall CCS DC stall nearby to be available? Especially when just about every other EV is forced to use CCS?

So far CCS also seems to charge about 2-4 times what Tesla charges, but that's a different matter. If CCS is the only game in town, I can see it is better than nothing - just expect to wait far longer to get an open stall than SCs.

TexasBob | 28. Dezember 2019

In US Tesla is >9x the total on the road vehicles vs CCS. Electrify America will need to adapt or die just like EVGO has had to do.

"Whatever FISHEV’s reasons are to switch"

Nothing to do with "switch" and everything to do with more charging options for Tesla owners. Tesla has stated supporting the EV infrastructure from mfg to charging stations is part of the mission. Providing Tesla owners with access to all charging options is part of that mission and Tesla is not stepping up as it should.

It is trivial to give US Model 3 owners a CCS adapter. Model 3's in EU already have the CCS adapter built in, the engineering is done. The adapter is built and sold for Model S and X owners who like US Model 3's have the Tesla socket.

Just do it!

"I'm all for additional options, but CCS is not going to help much."

In PDX Metro having EA's CCS will add 26 350/150kW chargers to current 36 Tesla chargers.

A 70% increase in fast charging options pretty much defines HELPING A LOT.

As TexasBob points out the charge stations that are not Tesla compatible should add Tesla compatible connectors since Tesla dominates the EV market in the USA.

It is silly to ask the mountain to come to mohammed.

Go spend your whining efforts whining at the charging companies, not Tesla.

Tesla launches $190 CCS adapter for new Model S and Model X, offers retrofits for older vehicles

https://electrek.co/2019/05/07/tesla-ccs-adapter-model-s-x-retrofits/

M8B, I’m not sure how ‘spending our whining efforts at the charging companies, not Tesla’ will help Tesla owners overcome a slight provoked by Tesla... Think man, think! All Tesla has to do is adapt their connectors to North American standards and voilà: done deal.
"I'm all for additional options, but CCS is not going to help much." It certainly does in numerous places in Canada outside of the main Highways and some cities. In Winnipeg, other than the newly released V3 SC, there are no other SCs in the city, only a few urban chargers. However, there are a bunch of CHAdeMO and CCS stations spread out here and there. Yeah, CCSs ARE helping quite a bit.

Any third party can aftermarket a Tesla/CCS adapter. Go whine at the charging companies that also will not want to lose money tooling up to sell a handful of adapters.

Tesla is not going to subsidise you, sorry. If it makes financial sense they will market them but it is a loser because of low volume, for now.

So looking for an alternative/supplemental solution is whining? Is that what my wife has been doing all these years???

andy.connor.e | 28. Dezember 2019

I'll tell you what. Personally, when i get my cybertruck, i will be charging at home and EA wont get a dime from me. Also theres 2 threads going about this, please try to consolidate.

Complaining that Tesla is not providing for the selfish needs of a few is, indeed, whining. If you must whine about not being provided for complain to the people that put in charging stations that only cater to tiny market verses the Tesla which dominates the EV market here.

I only wine

Can't you just plug the CT into itself so it charges itself?

Andy, do you not also dine?

Now thats what i call free energy

i wine before dine, but when dining usually leads to whining, so i stick to wining.

So you won’t dine on a dime?

you have to get in line to wine and dine on a dime or else whine

CharleyBC | 28. Dezember 2019

I’d like a glass of wite whine, please.

bradbomb | 28. Dezember 2019

@FishEV you know the Model S & X in Europe do not have the North American Tesla Connector. They have a modified Mennekes Type 2 port to handle Supercharging speeds. The CCS adapter in the EU goes from CCS to that. They use a different adapter because of 3-Phase power

https://insideevs.com/news/318705/tesla-model-s-charging-inlet-in-europe/

edward.matley | 28. Dezember 2019

This would be really useful in Canada. Anything much north of the US border doesn’t have much if any Supercharger infrastructure and CCS seems to be getting much more common.