Forums

Tampa Service Center is getting pretty bad (updated) in the end they made it right

Tampa Service Center is getting pretty bad (updated) in the end they made it right

"Concern: Customer states: Sometimes when plugging in my mobile charger at home the car won't charge. I thought it was my mobile charger, but two weeks ago I went to Alabama and same thing happened at the Supercharger (12/13 at around 11:45 AM. I would get the "Charging interrupted" alert. I moved from that stall thinking the stall was the problem but saw how another vehicle used same stall right after me and was able to charge without a problem. This is a very intermittent issue, for example yesterday I was able to charge my car perfectly at home with no issues."

"Inspected charger and found water in the adapter connection. Dried off adapter and charging cable. Verified operation and charger is working as expected. Technician noted: Inform customer to avoid charging cable getting wet. It will cause charging issues and could potentially damage vehicle."

What does that have to do with not being able to connect at superchargers? So we can't charge in the rain anymore...can
t get the charging cable wet? This is ridiculous.

"Concern: Customer states: Knocking/banging from under car while supercharging. Supercharging interrupted/difficulty getting working connection between supercharger connector and car charging receptical."

"Verified vehicle has no faults or alerts present. Noise while supercharging is normal and expected vehicle behavior. Heat expansion and contactors opening and closing is what is heard. This will not interrupt supercharger functionality. Verified vehicle is operating as expected. No improvement needed."

"Correction: Diverted - Customer Education"

In other words they refused to honor their own service bulletin that states the HV battery vents should be replaced with part number 1108907-00-B. And I guess the next time I can't charge at a supercharger I'm stuck.

I worked as a mechanic at a Detroit Diesel Allison distributorship for almost 25 years. Never did we ignore a factory service bulletin. We would have been fired for doing so. This is unacceptable service.

Big_Ed | 27. Dezember 2019

When you moved your car to a new stall in Alabama, did it charge?

yudansha™ | 27. Dezember 2019

"Correction: Diverted - Customer Education"

Magic 8 Ball | 27. Dezember 2019

Link to SB?

Last one I read on this was only for a certain date range of build and only if inspection shows that correction is needed. The "new" vents do not mitigate all noises and in some cases make no difference at all.

gmr6415 | 27. Dezember 2019

@Bid_ED, Yes moving to another stall resulted in correct charging, and another car pulled in right behind me and charged from the stall I had just left without error. This happened numerous times at superchargers from Lake City, FL to Auburn, AL and back through the same superchargers on the way home. The issue is intermittent at superchargers as well as at home, so it happens regardless if I'm using my mobile connector at home or hooking up to various superchargers.

Below is my history for that trip. Notice how many times I had to jump to another stall, i.e., after a few minutes it would quit charging, and I'd have to move to another stall after getting a "charging interrupted" message on my phone:

Lake City, FL
12/13/2019 10:53AM
$1.20

Lake City, FL
12/13/2019 10:59AM
$8.16

Tifton, GA
12/13/2019 1:14PM
$3.72

Tifton, GA
12/13/2019 1:37PM
$0.48

Auburn, AL
12/15/2019 5:28AM
$0.48

Auburn, AL
12/15/2019 5:32AM
$5.52

@Magic 8 Ball, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf

Year: 2018, 2019
Model: Model 3
Version: All

Affected VIN(s) Affected Model 3 vehicles built after approximately April 22, 2018

@gmr Thanks, I must be remembering a different bulletin or they updated it. Did you challenge them on this and cite the SB?

@Magic 8 Ball, Yes and so far I've still got the loaner and they've got my car. They quit responding to my texts. What really gets me is that I went through this with the SC manager and sent him a copy of the SB almost two weeks ago...right after I returned from my trip to AL. The following is what he texted back:

I'll Install breathers when the vehicle comes in.
Thomas L

So it sounds like it is being taken care of?

They know they lose money by putting you in a loaner and it is not in their interest to keep the car longer than they have to. Not sure what the issue is since they said they will install them???

Big_Ed | 27. Dezember 2019

Did the issue go away at home after they cleaned the moisture from your UMC?

M3phan | 27. Dezember 2019

@ gmr6415, note that even with the breather valves replaced with the latest ones (which have been improved), there’s still a chance for the supercharging sound. That’s what my SC advisor said when they switched mine out a couple weeks ago free of charge, while performing other service.

That said, I supercharged 7 times this past week on holiday trip and not one instance of knocking or oil canning. The car charged silently. (Though weather was also temperate 65-72°)

@Big_Ed, As I stated above, they still have my car and I've got their loaner.

@Magic 8 Ball, no it hasn't been taken care of. They stated before I brought the car in that they would change out the breathers as per Thomas L's text over a week ago, and that was after they said there was no resolution for that issue, that it was normal. That was until I sent them a copy of the SB, which is when Thomas L stated they would change out the breathers, again a week ago. Once they got my car and sent me on my way they didn't change out the breathers and still haven't...again saying it's normal...no improvement needed .

A complete waste of my time...an hour and 15 minutes each way from my house. My appointment was 10:30. They came out at about 11:45 and said they were getting a loaner form Enterprise. I told them that if it was only going to take a few hours, as was noted on my pre service agreement, which also stated they were going to change out the breathers, that I would rather just wait because my house was an hour and 15 minutes away. It made no sense to drive home if the fix was only a few hours. The next thing I knew Enterprise pulled up out front.

I took a look at my app while getting lunch a few blocks from the SC, and it stated something like "In Service, expected date of completion Tuesday December 31st. I took the loaner and drove home. Then I got a text about 5:30 pm stating the car was ready and I could pick it up. At the same time they e-mailed a service invoice stating they did nothing about my number one and number two concerns (noted above), the knocking during supercharging and the fact I was having so much trouble charging. Note: I don't take it in for small things, so I let some things go until I'm making an appointment for something I really feel needs addressing.

So in the end they wasted pretty much my whole day and according to the service invoice that they sent did nothing other than change out the left side stalk, when the issue was with the right side stalk cover popping up. Now I've got to do the almost 3 hour round trip to pick up the car that they did very little to as far as my biggest concerns.

@gmr Sounds like a cluster and you need to get back in touch with Thomas L.

Hours for the breather valves? It only took a few (less than 10) minutes on my car.

gmr6415 | 28. Dezember 2019

@Magic 8 Ball, My point exactly...cluster. According to the person who texted me to pick up the car Thomas L is the person who made the decision to not change out the breathers.

After more than 20 years doing warranty work for Detroit Diesel Allison I'm astonished at the poor service I've received. If there was a service bulletin out for any reason and a vehicle was in the shop that required the fix, we performed the service whether that was the primary reason it was there or not. If it was out of warranty and there was a service bulletin out on it we still performed the service at no charge. Times have changed since I did that sort of work 20 years ago.

I had a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. Failure of the CVT was a common problem. The dealer in Orlando continually brushed it off as little to nothing until they pushed me out of warranty. Shortly after, I was left sitting in the right hand lane on the highway...I couldn't coast all the way to the shoulder. Then all of the sudden I was going to be charged for a remanufactured CVT. Going to Honda Corporate with my history of prior issues with the CVT resolved the issue.

This situation with the Tampa Service Center is very reminiscent of that experience. Not so much with the breathers not being changed out, but the charging issues. But not doing a 15 minute fix for something there is a service bulletin on just makes no sense. All it does is give Tesla a bad name.

I guess I'm going to have to get stuck not being able to charge at all before they fix the charging problem or they push me out of warranty and want to bill me for the repair. I'm sure they can access my records and see how many times over the past few months I've received the "charge interrupted" message. In fact I asked them to look at the charge history from my Alabama trip. I thought it was my mobile charger until I started getting the same results at superchargers.

Just plain horrible service. I don't think my wife will be purchasing the CyberTruck now. She has a Prius. She'll stick with Toyota, and I don't blame her.

@M3phan, There was more than just the breathers on my list of "concerns". Total estimated labor for all items was a couple hours. The service estimate done prior to the appointment states .25 hours for the breather replacement.

minervo.florida | 28. Dezember 2019

I have had wonderful service from Tampa for the past 5 years.

@minervo.florida, Me too until they moved into the new building, not that, that has anything to do with it. I've praised them here before.

Part of it is I have almost 25 years of insight, from doing it myself, on how customers should be handled, especially when there's a factory service bulletin involved and the customer's vehicle falls within the specifics of the bulletin. They didn't even take the time to discuss anything with me personally. They partly misunderstood my written "concerns" from my appointment request using the App, and when I tried to further explain it they brushed me off and pointed to the waiting room. They completely wasted my time as if it has zero value.

20 years ago when I was on the other side of the door had I treated a customer, especially a customer with warranty issues and a service bulletin related complaint, the way I was treated I would have been looking for a job.

I run my own business, and I have respect for my customers. I listen to them. I follow up with them. If needed I ask for further explanation. None of that happened here. They didn't do what they said they would do on their written service estimate and now they want me to sign off saying I'm in agreement with them after the fact.

They could have told me in advance that they refused to do the update to the breathers, and I would have never gone in the first place. Yet they said they wanted me to come in to do the update then didn't do it. I could have lived with the other issues until something else came up as I've done form months now.

Magic 8 Ball | 28. Dezember 2019

@gmr What is your plan to address this

minervo.florida | 28. Dezember 2019

Might be a short term growing period going into the new building. Some of the good people in Tampa have come down to Sarasota service, again, part of the growth.

@Magic 8 Ball, Just got off the phone with the Service Manager. He refuses to address the problem...said they can't duplicate it..said there are updates to the SB that I'm not aware of with specific VIN range and mine is out of that range, yet didn't offer to send a copy of that update to substantiate the claim. I understand that could be true, but give me some proof. If that's true why did they put it on the estimate in the first place and why did he state in a text a week or so ago they would change them? Were I in his position I would have checked on that before making any statements in writing.

He inferred it's the noise the contactors make. I know what that sounds like and what I'm hearing from many different locations under the car isn't the contractors. It's the expansion of metal. When charging the contactors the make contact once...sounds kind of like a double pop/klunk and that's it. You don't hear thunking from random areas from all over the underneath of the car for the entire time your charging if it's contactors.

I told him off course you can't duplicate it when it's 80˚ outside. It happened in Auburn, AL in the low 40s. Then he asked me to record it the next time it happens. Well it isn't going to happen in this part of FL, so I guess until next time I'm in cold weather.

I asked for an estimate to pay for the repair myself. He was a little set back by that response. Then he said that if I pay for the repair and there are other similar issues in the future they won't address them...they would flag the record on my car. That's a pretty ridiculous statement within itself. Does that mean that if they find an absolute fix those who have had them replaced under warranty at this point won't get the newest fix?

Once I see the estimate I'll make up my mind. Just to note I know what estimates look like when someone is trying to make something so costly you won't do it. When I left the field I used to get a lot of old customers who wanted me to work on their trucks on the side. I didn't want to do it, and I would tell them that. They would continue to insist so I would through out a $200 per hour rate, which was a lot back then. Some of them actually took me up on it. Moving from N. VA to FL took care of that.

I know based on their "warranty estimate" they claim it's a .25 hour repair. The vents couldn't cost that much. In fact I can get a cost of the parts from another parts department to see how legitimate his estimate is.

It shouldn't have happened this way. I'll admit I'm probably making things worse because I'm POed right now. I don't like wasting time or feeling like I'm being played, and this has been a huge waste of time that could have been avoided by him saying from the start, "we aren't going to do it". I would have taken a different approach all together.

He isn't re-addressing my charging issues either, so I guess one day I'll get stuck at a supercharger somewhere. That along with this issue isn't a very good way to convince my wife to purchase a Tesla when her 2010 Prius needs replacing in the next few years.

For years I've purchased Brother printers for home and office. It isn't that they are the best, or least expensive printers. It's because their service is for the life of the printer, you can get a person on the line and they readily address the problems. I will continue to purchase Brother printers until something changes. Just like my bad experience with Honda, a company I always held in high regard, made me look other places when I need another car I'd have to think twice before purchasing another Tesla if this is how things are going to be.

I think the model 3 is the best car I've ever owned, but poor service makes a lot of that go away. I really don't even want to go pick it up right now.

Sounds pretty harsh.

FYI I spent weeks in Nagoya at Brother Inc. headquarters doing mutual development. They have a museum of their products and what they produced over the years is incredible. Most diverse company I have ever worked with.

Here is the SB with the different dates but it is a bulletin that was created before the one you show:

"Affected Model 3 vehicles built before approximately March 7, 2018."

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143015-9999.pdf

Keep at it, help them improve by sharing your story with those that can make difference.

@Magic 8 Ball, Just heard back from the service manager again. According to him Tesla engineers have approved the replacement of the breathers (engineers on a Saturday???)...being done right now. I'm not going to push my luck and asked to see the parts that were removed.

It still doesn't address my charging issue. I'm not going to push it at this point. In today's world, when you can get it at all, give and take is a good thing. I have it well documented, and would certainly push for towing and repair should I get stuck. There are no service centers in AL.

With family in Alabama and realizing my charging issues on the recent trip that's a scary thing, but it is what it is.

@gmr Cool, at least some progress. Bummer it had to be like pulling teeth.

FISHEV | 28. Dezember 2019

Best way to get help is go to the Tesla Super Charger with about 20% on battery so you will get max charge rate the car can accept. Plug in and if less than 140kW at a 150kW charger, call the Tesla Service number (pressing the white T on the screen) and go to “Charging Help”.

When they answer, explain you are getting low charge rate and ask them to take a look. They can look at both car and charger and see what the problem is in real time.

@Magic 8 Ball, In the end they came through and also addressed what I hope was the cause of the interrupted charging issue. Then they proactively addressed another SB I hadn't even filed a concern about.

They made this right.

Concern: Replace Charge Port Pin Dead fronts

Removed and replaced charge port insulator pins with updated parts. Verified proper fitment and correct vehicle charging operation

Correction: Replace Charge Port Insulator Pins With Updated Parts

Concern: Readjust Hood Latch

Performed inspection of frunk assembly and hood latch. Verified proper fitment and correct operation. Proactively installed shims to secondary hood latch actuator. Tested hood latch operation. Verified proper fitment and correct operation.

Correction: Modify Underhood Storage Unit And Shim Hood Latch Assembly

@gmr6415 Excellent! When they came out to rotate our tires, earlier this year, the tech proactively did the hood latch (caught me by surprise) and he also brought out the badge for the trunk which I display in the knick knack cabinet in the house ; ).

The pins are a known issue, glad they took care of it for you, I think you will be good to go on charging.

Bighorn | 28. Dezember 2019

Not sure that pinfronts had anything to do with charge interruptions. They’re on a SB for being fragile and breaking off in the charge cord. Interruptions can be pretty random and indicative of nothing. Usually reinitializing works. Also the breather valves are just a different version, if you’re lucky, of what you already have. Being in FL, not really understanding the urgency of an update after hundreds of episodes here in WY and the great White North.

@Bighorn, I'm hoping the insulator pins are the fix. It's pretty frustrating when every supercharger you hit as you walk away you get a charge interrupt message and have to go back to the car to try and correct the issue. Especially when another car would pull into the stall I just left, hook up, walk away and not have to return...obviously charging correctly. It's not a pleasant thing to get up in the morning expecting the car to be charged and find a charge interrupted message on your phone and no increase in SOC from the time you parked the car either. If this is normal behavior or indicative of nothing Tesla has a real problem. A vehicle that you can't reliably fuel up is a worthless vehicle.

As far as the breathers the new breathers have a larger diaphragm and allow for quicker pressure equalization between inside pressure and outside pressure. And no it hasn't been a problem in Central FL. In fact it never was a problem when traveling into colder states until this winter. 1) why the change in behavior? 2) yes it is more of a perception problem than a mechanical problem (so far). Flexing metal does eventually fatigue unless it's something like spring steel and designed to flex. That said, spring steel eventually fatigues and/or breaks too. Owners living in colder areas will find out a lot quicker than I will.