Forums

Issues using glass holder as passenger side grab bar

Issues using glass holder as passenger side grab bar

I'm pretty sure I got this idea from this forum but did a search and can't find the original post. In that one, someone used a suction cup/glass holder for a passenger grab bar (aka Jesus handle). My wife has been begging for one for my model 3 and I thought I could improve on this idea by buying a 2-cup version with a bar connecting them.

I purchased this one from Amazon (no affiliate link): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082NMLYFC/

It arrived today and I cannot get the suction cups to attach to the glass roof. I found the size perfect when placed in the corner where the front and top meet and then along the side where it meets the fabric. I had the suction cups against the glass and depressed the levers and...nothing.

I tried the suction cups on the outside passenger window and it worked fine. I was hesitant to push too hard on the roof glass but did apply some pressure. Also tried slightly wetting the suction cups first. I did not try any products on the glass itself...

Appreciate any thoughts.

eyaloren | 12. März 2020

Hope this works to show image of the product without having to click the link:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61UvlHkjKfL._SL1000_.jpg

Tesla2018 | 12. März 2020

If you put clear silicon adhesive on it maybe it might work as long as it sticks well to the suction cup. If you want to remove it you can could use fishing line or dental floss to cut it off..But I would be afraid of putting too much downward pressure when grabbing the bar and cracking the glass.

RedPillSucks | 13. März 2020

Your wife is telling you that you drive too fast

eyaloren | 13. März 2020

It's not the speed - it's the acceleration. And maybe the speed...

So I think the problem is that the inside roof glass is concave vs the outer windows being convex.

This glass holder seems suited for flat or convex glass and cannot grip when concave

eyaloren | 13. März 2020

It's not the speed - it's the acceleration. And maybe the speed...

So I think the problem is that the inside roof glass is concave vs the outer windows being convex.

This glass holder seems suited for flat or convex glass and cannot grip when concave

TickTock | 14. März 2020

Besides the concern about cracking the glass I would also be concerned with the safety of you and your passengers should the curtain airbags deploy. They could become projectiles and do serious harm in an otherwise minor accident. I believe this is why they were omitted from the design in the first place.

Tesla2018 | 14. März 2020

The bar could also lose suction and hit someone in the head. I have a suction cup mounted Sunpass transponder that is used to pay tolls mounted on my windshield and switched between cars. Every one in a while it falls off and goes flying around the inside of the car.

Earl and Nagin ... | 14. März 2020

I would be very careful to rely on anything held on purely by a suction cup as something to count on for support. Do you know that adhesion strength of how much force it can withstand at all angles?
The only kind of suction cup that I would think could possibly hold tight enough would need a pump and release mechanism, similar to the seasucker (https://www.seasucker.com/collections/utility). Any single 'flip' lever device could, IMHO, only offer a false sense of security. Is someone going to be hanging on it when they should be hanging onto something that may actually hold them?
I would recommend that one take careful measures:
- Determine the actual adhesion strength: Possibly with a scale to get quantitative information, pull on the device from many different angles that someone could pull from and ensure that it holds to some safety factor, probably 3X to 5X the person's weight.
Also this check should be performed quite regularly to see if it has loosened.
- There's the shelf life issue: How long does the suction cup remain pliable enough to maintain a good, strong seal? Remember that if it is in a car that is outside in the summer, its going to get extremely hot, especially on a window. This is very taxing on any kind of rubber or plastic material, especially soft ones.
- There's the issue of quality. Products bought from Amazon are quality nightmares. Some things are good, however, it is extremely hard to know what you are actually getting. Amazon will sell anything from anyone. Even if the seller clams something is from a reputable manufacturer, you don't know if it is or is just a cheap knock-off.

eyaloren | 14. März 2020

Thanks for the added thoughts

This wasn't meant to be used for any 'real' demands. More the peace of mind that someone has grabbing a typical car grab bar when accelerating onto the freeway, etc.

I found that my 2" diameter suction cup meant for changing out the Aero wheel cover kit attached quite well but is also very small only allowing 2 fingers to rest on the handle.

Looked at suction cup shower bar handles and am considering one of those but they are ugly and I do wonder if the suction cup would stay through the summer heat on that glass.

Less concerned about it turning into a projectile as the curtain airbags would come down from the fabric headliner and should not come near the panoramic glass based on my reading of the diagrams for them.