Forums

Factory Pickup questions

Factory Pickup questions

Ok, yes, it's over a year away and anything could happen between now and then, but I'm seriously thinking of the factory pickup option.

First, I live in Ohio and probably wont be selecting every option there is so a factory pickup would, potentially, get me my car sooner, as well as increase my odds of getting the full tax credit. Secondly, it would be nice mini vacation for my wife and I.

I've got a couple of questions though:
1. Do you save on the destination charge by doing that? That alone would just about pay for the trip.
2. Are there any concerns with jumping in a brand new car, literally just off the assembly line, and driving it 2,500 miles? I know with ICE vehicles there used to be a "break in" period, does that apply to EVs?
3. Any other considerations?

Thanks everyone!

Hi_Tech | 24. März 2016

Good questions. I have thought about this a bit as well. The more I think about it though, it seems the major benefit (receiving it earlier, therefore higher chances of credit, etc.) may not occur. I say this because I'm assuming that when the time to configure/order your car comes, they will base this on your home address, not the final delivery destination.

That said, I think it'd be a great idea to pick up from CA and drive back. There are no "break in" period restrictions. Just make sure that you and your wife are comfortable being in a car for a week or two (depending on if you plan on making it a longer vacation trip).

Regarding the destination charges, I'd assume that you would not need to pay for that, but not certain. I'm sure there would be some level of credit back on that part.

Tâm | 24. März 2016

1. destination charge
It's mandatory whether it's zero mile or thousands of miles from the factory.

2. just off the assembly line.."break in"?
No break-in with your Tesla. First thing you do is to "floor" your accelerator and get a rush and get yourself circulated. That kind of break in all the way home that's thousands of miles of course!

3. Any other considerations?
Currently, you non-Californians have to pay California car sales tax if you pick it up in CA.

There's a proposal for car-tourism to encourage you to pick up the car in CA without paying sales tax, but you know how long it takes for it to make it and become a law.

dsvick | 24. März 2016

Thanks guys

I was afraid that the delivery charge was going to apply no matter where it was "delivered" to since it looks like it is the same charge for everyone.

@HiteshBhatt I would think that a factory pick up would get me in the car sooner. That's assuming that the reason for the West coast deliveries being first is for logistical reasons. Either way, I've got a year, or more, to figure it out and get all the details.

@Tam the sales tax isn't an issue, ours is about the same, it might even be a touch higher, so I'd end up having to pay the difference anyway.

Benz | 24. März 2016

Maybe you should call Tesla and ask them if this is a good idea or not. More people must already have done this in the past, I guess.

Tâm | 24. März 2016

@Benz

Factory pickup and driving back to the East Coast has been done from the first day of Roadster with no Supercharger to Model S with superchargers but I haven't heard about Model X.

All cars are tested to make sure they can do a "launch" or if you got the option of "Ludicrous" before leaving the assembly line.

Ankit Mishra | 24. März 2016

I have a question. If someone takes factory delivery and then goes back to his home 2500 miles (Wow) and then after sometime the car needs urgent service. It's possible as early units of any product have probability of having some problems. So, would the service center of that location be able to handle the Model 3 problems? It's a new car and the personnel of that store wouldn't have been exposed to it.

Tâm | 24. März 2016

There's a story of an owner who's 20 miles from Tesla-Washington DC but picked up the car from Factory, thousands of miles from there and drove back instead.

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/adventurous-trio-driving-electric-model-s...

Red Sage ca us | 24. März 2016

Ankit Mishra: I believe that Tesla Motors intends to make sure all their Service Center personnel are fully trained and equipped to handle the Model ≡ well ahead of Deliveries to Customers. They will likely be exposed to the cars both by being brought back to Fremont for that training, as well as having Demos/Loaners on hand at their respective Service Center locations. Do not be surprised if the first few thousand of the Model ≡ end up in the hands of Employees as their personal vehicles or as Demos/Loaners at Tesla locations.

Tâm | 24. März 2016

@Ankit Mishra

Tesla Service has been excellent since the day of Roadster. They take care of you and will tow your car 500 miles for free if you are stranded in a remote place.

Roadster was new and the state of art at that time, the same thing with Model S, and now with Model X, and soon with Model ≡.

It's very easy to fix a Tesla because they are modular.

If local service personnel can't figure it out, just drop the whole module down and push up another module back.

No worry!

With the current X, you might have to wait for parts, but none of the problem are catastrophic that would prevent you from cross country trip.

You just tell them your plan and they send a part such as door seal ahead of your trip to a service center on your route.

Ankit Mishra | 24. März 2016

@Tam & @Red
Okay. It's good if that's true. Then maybe people can take factory deliveries and drive back home 2500 miles.

carlk | 24. März 2016

ABSOLUTELY can not do it. CA quota need to be used by Califonians only.

Just kidding I don't see any reason that you can not do it. There is a legislation in the works that will allow residents of other states to take delivery here without having to pay CA sales tax. As for break in there is no such thing as break in for an EV. There is no warming up either (other than for self regulated batteries). You can hit the pedal hard the moment you get into the car without having to worry about demages.

carlk | 24. März 2016

ABSOLUTELY can not do it. CA quota need to be used by Califonians only.

Just kidding I don't see any reason that you can not do it. There is a legislation in the works that will allow residents of other states to take delivery here without having to pay CA sales tax. As for break in there is no such thing as break in for an EV. There is no warming up either (other than for self regulated batteries). You can hit the pedal hard the moment you get into the car without having to worry about demages.

Red Sage ca us | 24. März 2016

Yeah. The only real 'break in' is for the tires, over the first 1,000 miles or so, as it would be with any other car.

PhillyGal | 24. März 2016

I had previously regretted not picking up at the factory and driving it home for three reasons:
It would have gotten to me quicker. There was so many delays thanks to D/AP roll out.
I could have done a factory tour
I could have driven cross country. Two ways is too much for me to commit to.

However, I got super lucky in not doing so:
My 2014 build came with the AP hardware.

I would definitely consider factory pickup for M3 just to make that cross country trek once in my life. One-way is doable.

AlMc | 24. März 2016

@PhillyGal: OK. here is the plan: We make our reservations side by side at Devon. Our builds will be sequential......so we factory pick up...drive cross country!

Hi_Tech | 24. März 2016

I've been thinking of a cross country trip (round-trip) using my MS for a couple of years. But, having to take about 3-4 weeks off from work was making it a bit difficult. This could be a great opportunity for that. Would need about 2 weeks for a comfortable/relaxed trip seeing many places on the way. Also, I'd be able to leverage the auto-pilot significantly! Make my trip much easier! hmmmmm... will have to think this over. :)

carlk | 24. März 2016

The added bonus is there are a lot to see and do if you can spend a week or so here. Good for us too when you spend your tourist money here. I beleive that's one reason hehind that legislation to waive the state sales tax.

Haggy | 24. März 2016

To add to what Tâm said, the destination charge is governed by federal law and Tesla couldn't change it even if they wanted to. By law, they can't roll it into the price of the car either.

PhillyGal | 24. März 2016

@AIMc - I'd love to. Devon was my plan all along. But I somehow got the golden ticket and will be on my way to Cali for the unveiling when the Devon store opens :-D

KP in NPT | 25. März 2016

The real MP1156 (hubby) asked our guy in KOP this question today - he said the same thing about the CA sales tax, including legislation that might change things by the time the M3 comes out, but then suggested that if the taxes were still an issue, to take delivery in Oregon. ;) Things to think about... ;)

Oh and he said nothing about not being able to do it - but also said he'd expect those details to be communicated closer to the time.

PhillyGal | 25. März 2016

@mp - Are you going to be reserving in store at KoP upon opening?

Care to let your husband do it and you pretend to be me? ;)

(I don't know if you've seen mention but I'll be flying all day and unable to get to the store.)

@phillygal HA - we bought at KOP because MPs client is there - but I will go to Natick, Ma to reserve since we live in RI. and he won't go with me because he says I'm a freak but yet encourages me since he wants the tax credit. ;) so I'll have to use his login. But if he changes his mind I'll let you know!

Johnn_hardy | 26. März 2016

If you pick up in California you pay sales tax there. So, this is really only fir California residents.