Forums

Charging port location???

Charging port location???

Hey all! I will be a new owner of a Tesla and currently have no charger location in my garage. I am about to inquire about installation of the charging equipment and wanted to know if anyone has heard about the charging points's location on the Model 3.

Sparky | 19. April 2016

Probably the side of the left rear tail light, as on the Model S so that orientation within the SuperChargers is standard.

TeslaTap.com | 19. April 2016

It was confirmed at the release event that it is in the same place as the S and X (driver's side rear on right-hand-drive cars).

PhillyGal | 19. April 2016

I was going to guess the same as Sparky for the same reason - Supercharger compatibility.

I must have missed that it was officially confirmed. Good to know.

All that in mind, don't forget you can back in to your garage as well. I didn't realize most people pulled in, as I had never before lived in a house with a garage that was usable for parking. You'll save bucks if your outlet for the car cable (or Tesla's wall connector) is installed near to your breaker.

Breaker panel*

Breaker panel*

Red Sage ca us | 19. April 2016

There is a photo of the Matte Grey Model ☰ Prototype in a service bay. The Silver Model ☰ Prototype is in the adjacent space. There is a Supercharger there between the two cars, and they appear to both be plugged in. The Matte Grey car is facing outward, the Silver one is head-in, and both their trunks were open.

It seemed as if the cable was plugged into a port somewhere inside the trunk on the driver's side. I'm sure this is temporary and that the port will be in the tail light assembly with the final design. Just as is the case with Model S and Model X.

twitter_com/Acuchi/status/717943403724406784/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

yongliangzhu68 | 19. April 2016

Red Sage ca us: Just to add the Matte is an early prototype so it may be different on the red and silver. I bet the 'clean & hidden' tail light assumably too.

godsdrummer1948 | 19. April 2016

Thanks so much for the info! I figured it would be in the same spot, but it feels better to hear this. Thanks for helping out this newbie :)

Red Sage ca us | 19. April 2016

wj: Once again, both prototypes (Matte Grey and Silver) are visible in the photo at a Supercharger. Each one has the trunk open to access the temporary charging port. I believe the Tesla Motors design is an homage to Chevrolet...