Forums

16 car manufacturers found cheating. And counting.

16 car manufacturers found cheating. And counting.

We can't rejoice about this.

http://www.i24news.tv/en/news/international/110673-160422-16-car-brands-...

Tesla and Elon Musk are right, the best way to avoid emissions issues is to have none at all. Solar and EV is the way to go.

jordanrichard | 23. April 2016

Add to this the scandal in Japan with Mitsubishi.

Earl and Nagin ... | 23. April 2016

@eric,
Yes, we can rejoice about this because, as you point out, there is a solution and we (most of us on this forum) are taking positive steps to force everyone to adopt the solution.
As I prophesied years ago, the ICE world will pull out all the stops, both legitimate and otherwise, to do everything they can think of to prove that their beloved technology is better than the upstarts.
We saw it with the steam locomotive industry (water scoops, closed loop steam cycles, aerodynamic fairings, geared drive wheels, superheaters, etc) and the film industry (Kodak Advantix film) as they pathetically tried to improve their commodities to show they were better than the upstarts.
It isn't surprising the that auto industries, in addition throw everything they can into the ICE to try to show its better. Some of the legitimate (but very expensive) things we've seen have been 6-speed transmissions, variable valve timing, cylinder shutoff, diesel, turbochargers, killing entire car lines (compact pickup trucks, large sedans), etc. It isn't surprising that when opportunities to find that cheaper, cheats would also find their way into the cars.

jordanrichard | 23. April 2016

Basically this is a sign that there is no more room for efficiency from an ICE.

MyXinTx | 23. April 2016

I am not sure that there is no more room for ICE efficiency or the ability to clean up the output, but I do agree that it has been squelched significantly by You Know Who.

Realistically, the only way to minimize the impact the powerful oil and gas industry is by one EV at a time, which is off to a great start, but a long way to go.

Although, once the price of gas goes back to where it was before the recent artificial flooding of supply, more will be motivated to purchase.

It is in this perspective that Elon's vision will impact the future, as well as all of us that purchase EVs.

The Model 3 will go down in history as the vehicle that started the revolution...corny I know, but most likely true.

Blue X | 23. April 2016

There’s a reason why European cities are polluted. It’s shocking what the collusion of these auto mfgs. and perhaps a wink from the EU is doing to it’s citizen’s health.

Shameful....

danielpf | 24. April 2016

The highly taxed gasoline in Europe doesn't incite most governments to drop this source of revenue.
Once they will see gasoline consumption going down, lobbies will push for taxing clean cars and suppressing EV incentives.
The only fair solution is to tax carbon and pollution according to the real cost on environment and population health. A fair gasoline tax should be even higher than now in Europe (say, tripling the gas cost in the US),
so it is politically unthinkable to most politicians.

Ross1 | 24. April 2016

http://www.dailymail. CO .uk/sciencetech/article-3554680/Is-city-car-future-Shell-reveals-bizarre-bug-eyed-vehicle-flip-front.html

eric.zucker | 27. April 2016

One of the reasons there is an oversupply of oil is lifting the Iranian sanctions, which allows them to increase exports. They need foreign currency and won't curb production to drive prices up.

Yes, there will be a tax issue when significant numbers of EVs replace ICE. Governments rely on this income. It pays for the road maintenance, transport infrastructure, and lots more. We'll see what they come up with.

I'm installing solar panels to protect myself from probable energy taxes, and guarantee my cars are 100% zero emissions.

jordanrichard | 27. April 2016

Mitsubishi just admitted to falsifying MPG testing results for the last 25 years!!!!!! Granted it is only for cars sold in Japan, but this has already gotten our EPA's attention.

Dramsey | 28. April 2016

One of the reasons there is an oversupply of oil is lifting the Iranian sanctions, which allows them to increase exports.

It's a pretty minor reason; they have only very recently increased exports, and their total contribution to the world oil market is tiny.

The main reason for the oversupply of oil is U.S. fracking.

brando | 08. Mai 2016

Oversupply?

How much petroleum does the United States import and export?

In 2015, the United States imported approximately 9.4 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum from about 82 countries. Petroleum includes crude oil, natural gas plant liquids, liquefied refinery gases, refined petroleum products such as gasoline and diesel fuel, and biofuels including ethanol and biodiesel. About 78% of gross petroleum imports were crude oil.

In 2015, the United States exported about 4.8 MMb/d of petroleum to 136 countries. Most of the exports were petroleum products. The resulting net imports (imports minus exports) of petroleum were about 4.6 MMb/d.

The top five source countries of U.S. petroleum imports in 2015 were Canada, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Mexico, and Colombia.

https://www.eia DOT gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=727&t=6

eric.zucker | 09. Mai 2016

@Dramsey: you are right, Iranian production is only about 2MMb/d - but the Iranians are desperate for cash and unwilling to curb their production as requested by OPEC to raise oil price, and therefore neither will the Saudis, which stalls everyone else.

jordanrichard | 09. Mai 2016

To the points Brando made which shows how rigged the oil prices are rigged, is one of the many reasons I got my car. If we have so much oil that we are exporting it, why then do we need to import any oil?

brando | 09. Mai 2016

http://www.opec DOT org/opec_web/en/about_us/25.htm

OPEC - Speaking of rigging
How are Iran and Saudi fighting proxy wars all over mid-east while meeting together at OPEC? Isn't politics wonderful? And look how effective building consent is around the world as governments/corporations manipulate their citizens to fund security-state/armies/wars/corporate-monopolies. Fiat currencies rock!! all around the world.

May you live in interesting times - Chinese curse?
Sure is a lot of interesting stuff going on - electric cars just a very small part.