Forums

walking on new solar tiles

walking on new solar tiles

Can the new solar tiles be walked on by a person? It looks like they have a tempered glass cover.

EaglesPDX | 29. Oktober 2016

They would be darned slippery. Don't know that walking on the roof is big concern. They did the rock test thing for hail storm so they look strong enough.

Where you thinking if you could use it for a deck covering?

Nic727 | 29. Oktober 2016

How do you repair a part of the roof if something happen if you can't walk on the roof?

Bighorn | 29. Oktober 2016

Elon said yes

EaglesPDX | 29. Oktober 2016

@Nic727 "How do you repair a part of the roof if something happen if you can't walk on the roof?"

You can stand on it but for "walking" you need safety belts. My metal roof as safety strap connections built at the peak so the people strap in. It would be an easy repair process. I though you were looking at a flat roof where you'd actually walk around on it. That would too slippery I'd imagine and probably be issues with stressing the connectors between each panel. Now if you embedded the glass tiles in concrete, so they didn't move at all, I'd bet you could walk on them on as a deck area.

jamilworm | 29. Oktober 2016

I walk on our roof to put up x-mas lights, and previously a plummer had to go on my roof to access the sewer vent. So for me it's pretty important to be able to walk o it without slipping and falling off the house.