Forums

Which is the best solar powered car?

jordanrichard | 01. November 2016

Ummmm, what solar powered car?

soldbycepek_ | 01. November 2016

Well, how about the one that charges at home for FREE every time you park it in the garage, goes 200+ miles on a charge, has an onboard generator to keep going after that, goes 160 MPH, and looks like THIS? https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/prototype-3d-printed-energy-positive-... (Watch the video for the car, costs under $50K hand made).

Remnant | 01. November 2016

@soldbycepek_ (November 1, 2016)

<< [3D car] charges at home for FREE every time you park it in the garage, goes 200+ miles on a charge, has an onboard generator to keep going after that, goes 160 MPH, and ... costs under $50K hand made. >>

A dream come true ... !!!

But I found no 3D car link at that address.

TeslaTap.com | 01. November 2016

OP: "Which is the best solar powered car?"

Obviously the Model S. My Model S is free every time I park in my garage due to home solar.

Earl and Nagin ... | 02. November 2016

+1 TT !!

Watt fun | 02. November 2016

Its a trick question, which has the perfect answer by TeslaTap. There are no 'good' directly solar powered cars, because even though solar is everywhere, and free, it is NOT concentrated enough on the limited space of a car roof to be usable in daily real life unless your idea of good car is a plastic/carbon fibre one-two seater odds-bodsmobile with a severely limited range and low speed and capacity. A tiny urban city-street driver. There is about enough roof space for about 500 Watts theoretical output under perfect conditions. A concept I read about has solar glass in front and back, plus roof, hood and rear hatch, so maybe 1500 Watts theoretical under perfect conditions. I would doubt that even 15-20 miles/24-32 km range per day would be achievable U.P.C.

Mind you, an efficient house with say 800 square feet of PV on a good roof angle in a good location, yes to charging an EV and also running a house (YMMV)