Forums

Energy consumption increased significantly

Energy consumption increased significantly

My model x energy consumption was in the range of 290wh/mile to 330wh/mile. Since 3 days it bumped up and went to 400wh/mile. Nothing changed, I still drive the same way I used to drive earlier. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chirag.

lilbean | 22. November 2016

The weather got colder?

borodinj | 22. November 2016

Don't know where you are located, but falling temps = need for the car to produce heat = higher energy usage. You will notice a spike when temps fall into the 40's, and even greater usage as the temps fall below freezing.

chirag.for.portal | 22. November 2016

Yes weather got changed. I am located in Florida and it has been between 40 to 70.

lilbean | 22. November 2016

That'll do it.

eddiemoy | 22. November 2016

i'm up to 550wh/mi from 400... this is not good! useless range in the winter. it isn't even all that cold outside. mid to upper 30's.

Jama | 22. November 2016

Tesla had made X noise compliance for 2019.

Redmiata98 | 22. November 2016

Only in the cold weather when the owners voice their concern about the increase in consumption and decrease in distamce;-)

AlMc | 24. November 2016

You can greatly help your range, especially on short trips, if you preheat the cabin while plugged in at home or work during temps lower than 50 degrees.

lilbean | 24. November 2016

Great idea!

Redmiata98 | 24. November 2016

I just put the Tesla 19s winter package on and notice an increase in electrical consumption from my Conti all weathers. Part of that might be the recent drop in temp but there might also be a difference in the weight of the 19s. I had anticipated better mileage with the 19s vice the 20s but am getting worse mileage. I had been in the 360s but my last trip was just over 400.

bhoskins | 24. November 2016

I'm thinking that my 19" winters have increased my consumption as well, but it might be just the cold temps. This is our first winter with the X.

Redmiata98 | 24. November 2016

This is my second but last winter was milder after I got the X. Thanks, I will continue to monitor and hope the 19s will be better.

aesculus | 24. November 2016

Noticed in 30+ F weather we loose a lot with the battery having to warm up irregardless of cabin temp settings. Plus you loose much of the regen too which probably ruins efficiency if you have a lot of stop and go or downhill runs.

RonaldA | 25. November 2016

The initial severe spike in energy used when its cold is for bringing battery temp up to optimal. After that the spike goes away and range over long distance is lower 10-20% in my experience, but not as bad as you think when you first encounter the battery warning spike. I drove my S 210 miles in a cold western new york winter (10 degrees) and expect slightly less range in cold weather in my X. Happy travels.

psusi | 29. November 2016

I noticed I had terrible efficiency today too. I'm also in central Florida, and it isn't heating. It was 71 degrees today and I had the cabin set at 71 degrees so it didn't need to heat.

brando | 29. November 2016

Tire Pressure? We often forget to check.

burdogg | 29. November 2016

Today was really cold, but I don't remember numbers last year like i got today - I had 147 when I drove to work - 4 miles. 40 minutes later, took son to the school to drop off, maybe 1 mile. Parked at office in garage rest of day. Left at end of day to go to bank and then home, about 5 miles. I ended with 86 miles! I do not remember it ever being like that last year. Not sure why the big loss, it was stuck at 32 degrees all day long and 27 by time got home.

Today was really cold, but I don't remember numbers last year like i got today - I had 147 when I drove to work - 4 miles. 40 minutes later, took son to the school to drop off, maybe 1 mile. Parked at office in garage rest of day. Left at end of day to go to bank and then home, about 5 miles. I ended with 86 miles! I do not remember it ever being like that last year. Not sure why the big loss, it was stuck at 32 degrees all day long and 27 by time got home.

and this is in a model S

psusi | 02. Dezember 2016

Funny... this morning it was a bit chilly so the heat should have been running a bit, but my usage was back down in the 250-300 range again.

eddiemoy | 02. Dezember 2016

Going to lower sized rims should help efficiency. There is a huge difference between 22" vs 20". I'm sure you would get a little better range with 19" if all things being equal. I just realized I'm not going any better in efficiency than a car or can that can do 20mpg. Crazy!

jordanrichard | 02. Dezember 2016

Once it starts getting down to the 50s, that is when you start to see a spike in energy usage.

christurbeville | 02. Dezember 2016

Search is your friend and Bighorn has all the answers;) There's an entire routine for the chilly places on how to get the most and it can be massively important to range. Study young padawans! Shore-power cabin heating is just the tip of the iceberg timed charging and many more can help a great deal.

borodinj | 02. Dezember 2016

@eddiemoy, just curious, how did you come up with the 20 MPG equivalency?