Forums

Model X Winter Driving Experience

Model X Winter Driving Experience

Shared my recent winter driving experiences over at TMC

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-x-winter-driving-experienc...

lilbean | 27. November 2016

Great writeup, @aesculus! Thanks!

raging.dragonfly | 27. November 2016

Nice write-up, aesculus; thanx a lot! I wonder what that one commenter meant about wishing we had heated wiper blades rather than a heated place for them to rest? I though we DID have heated blades! (Going to go check specs yet again...)

raging.dragonfly | 27. November 2016

Went over to the Design Studio, and for the wipers it states, "wiper blade defrosters", & "heated jets" on the blades. I always took the defrosters to mean something inside the blade that kept them warm & frost-free, but I suppose they could be warmed some other way? But the heated jets? Those ARE in the blades, so some kind of heating element is present in the blades. Anybody know?

Solarman004 | 28. November 2016

In a post on TMC, poster took thermal imagery of the lower windshield when the wiper defrost was turned on. The images clearly show a heat coil in the lower windshield where the wipers sit.
Also, I have removed a wiper blade assembly from my X. The only connection is the hose for wiper fluid. There is no hot air tubing nor electric element connector.

PedanticOne | 28. November 2016

I think this (and the linked) thread have convinced me to get the subzero package.

Just. In. Case.

Solarman004 | 28. November 2016

What I miss in the MX that I have in the Leaf is a power display with 3 graphs: motor power consumption, climate control power consumption, and other systems power consumption. I use the climate control graph to see the consumption difference between cabin heat vs seat + steering wheel heat. The difference is huge, and I imagine the same holds true in the MX. Having a 75D, I'm glad I got the subzero pkg for Colorado. Minimizing whole cabin heat in the winter can have a big impact on range.

yaw20 | 28. November 2016

The MX manual stated seat heat consumes less energy, so you are right and it's official:). Maybe a software update will get the feature.

Saxman | 28. November 2016

Solarman004
Thanks for tip on seat heater lower consumption. I'm in the Vail Valley where as you know it can get quite cold.
Where in CO are you?

aesculus | 28. November 2016

@Solarman004: I would love to see that feature on the MX

inconel | 28. November 2016

Should we not then have even finer power consumption display per passenger zone?
"Honey turn down your seat heater, you are consuming way too much power and will get us stranded"

elguapo | 29. November 2016

@raging No heated wipers or jets. It's misleading from TM, at best, and false advertising at worst. It used to be even more unclear on the website back in December last year when I finalized. People must have complained and they tried to clarify without making it obvious the wipers aren't really helped by the cold weather package. I still like the heated steering wheel and my passengers love the heated seats. Still, it's crappy for TM to represent the wipers are heated in any way - even if they have dedicated coils nearby - that's what should be explained more clearly.

Model_D | 29. November 2016

I live in SoCal and I ordered the sub zero. I have learned how much better range I get in my Ford Focus Electric with seat heaters than the one time I turned on the heater. It is substantial. The heated seats don't even move the power meter for accessories and the meter for a/c and heat stays at zero.

Solarman004 | 29. November 2016

@Saxman, I'm near Colorado Springs.

jrettinger | 29. November 2016

Great post!

Saxman | 29. November 2016

Solarman004
Do you use the Denver SC? If so what had your experience been?

My experience with Denver SC has been superb. Great communication, short wait times, Tesla loaners when needed (I've only needed a loner once when my FWD was being aligned). My service rep would call daily with a status update. The reps are friendly, and patiently answer all my questions, even when not related to the specific work on my car.
Back on winter electrical consumption: Using cabin heat in the Leaf consumed between 3.0 and 4.5 kW of power. Running both the front and rear seat heaters in high, and the steering wheel heater typically clocked in at 0.2 to 0.3 kW combined. With a Leaf, this sometimes was the difference between getting home, or not. The only time the main heating element could not be avoided was for windshield defrost for safe visibility. The combined effect of very cold temps on the battery, plus defrost use takes my Leaf from about 70 miles useful range to approximately 50 miles (with some reasonable reserve).

mkbs94 | 29. November 2016

I picked up my P90D MX in April at the Fremont facility and drove via LA and then Lake Tahoe back to NY ( to a suburb outside of NYC). I came through a snowstorm into Tahoe, and then a snow/ slush/ ice mix over the Vail Pass into Denver. I'm used to driving in those conditions here in winter and witnessing the driver capabilities you described in your article aesculus: California isn't the only state like that. The car was superb, but the lack of heat was a disaster...I bought my wife a blanket for the middle row seat, and I haven't heard the end of that yet. The tires....As it turned out the factory set my 20" rims with Summer tires even though I have the cold weather package and was clear where I reside. Whatever! The car handled brilliantly under everything mother nature handed us for the 4600 mile adventure. Currently I have 9400 miles on the car. I have just replaced the tires with the conti DSW6 all season tires and bought the chains. We travel to upstate NY and Vermont for XC Skiing. BTW the Conti's are so quiet it is amazing. Mileage and energy efficiency still to be evaluated.

Thanks again Solarman004 for your knowledgeable and inciteful input.
So glad you have had good service from Denver SC and hope I do as well.

After I take initial delivery with my assigned DS, will he also be my main GO TO guy for other service issues that may arise?

@mkbs94
I've lived in the Vail Valley for 22 years and totally know what you described going over the Vail Pass. Last April going back to Austin we hit the same snow/slush/ice going up Vail Pass to Denver. At Silverthorne, going to the Eisenhower tunnel was like a FREE FOR ALL with vehicles stuck and scattered all across the road. We were in wife's GMC Terrain and had to literally weave around the stopped vehicles...But didn't get stuck.

So glad you found the X handled well. Do you think All Season tires with 20" wheels sufficient in those conditions?

burdogg | 29. November 2016

Saxman - who is your DS? Did you ever get your questions answered you had asked him/her?

Burdogg
My DS is Daniel Sir indies (called JD). I spoke with him for first time on Monday, regarding my delivery. He seemed pleasant & wanting to be helpful so I'm hoping for a good customer experience with him and Denver SC, as well.

I also have option of Austin SC when I'm in Texas.

JD was my original, but I had worked with Denton last time and so got it switched. JD is a little newer at least here is my understanding when I spoke to him. I finally heard back from one of them today (could not tell if it was Denton or JD - it didn't sound like Denton, so hence my confusion) and they are saying Dec. 19 or 26 time frame - I ordered Oct 15. I think all the 5 seaters hitting the line pushed me back and then trying to get as many in the quarter pushed me back as they want to get the east coast ones built now and on the trucks to get out there in time for end of quarter delivery leaving the closer ones to later production. Did yours hit production yet?

"After I take initial delivery with my assigned DS, will he also be my main GO TO guy for other service issues that may arise?"
@Saxman, that was not the case with me. Denton handled my delivery, but they have a different team that handles the service interface post-delivery.

Burdogg
I have not been officially notified that it hit production. Is there somewhere to go and look that up? Will it appear on My Tesla page?

JD said scheduled around mid Dec but a little vague. I think they're little gun shy of making promises and getting consumer push back when not accurate.

Do you think we'll be on same truck?

Saxman - I would think so, it just depends on how many they have to get out here :) Maybe we will meet up over there.

As far as who you work through, there are service people, but I still contact Denton when I have a question and he will direct me - I always phrase it with, not sure who to contact and if I need to be contacting someone else, please let me know. He has been great to let me know who to contact and how to get to that person, as well as letting them know I would be contacting them.

Burdogg

It's comforting to hear your good feelings about their Customer Service. It's nothing less than I expect and have always had with Mercedes, but reading Posters' issues I don't take anything for granted.

mkbs94 | 29. November 2016

Hi Saxman; considering how well it handled with the summer tires, the DSW6 all season should be great. I'll know sure enough since we're headed north in 2 weeks...at least how well they handle in mud.

As for service issues; the Mount Kisco, NY, service people have been without exception aces....the best service experience I have ever encountered. Every issue has been addressed without fail promptly and completely.

@mkbs94 Thanks
Great to hear. Glad you're getting the level of service we all expect & deserve.
We want to be Tesla advocates and that makes it all worthwhile.