Forums

Power Steering Failed

Power Steering Failed

I've had my Model X for 6 months (since June 2016). Today, after running several errands, I returned to my parked car only to find that the power steering had suddenly stopped working - making the steering wheel virtually impossible to turn (I'm a female with not so great upper body strength). I searched and have found a post from someone experiencing this problem on their Model S in August 2016 - although it happened to him while driving on the highway! The only thing I have done differently recently is that I just tested out the auto-drive for the first time 3 days ago. Everything else has been routine. My car is still at the dealer and I haven't heard anything from them about what they think is wrong.

carlk | 07. Dezember 2016

No worry I'm sure the "dealer" will fix it for you.

Teslapalooza | 07. Dezember 2016

Sorry to hear of your ordeal.

Did they have to tow the MX to the SC, or they used the non-powered steering to drive it there? If they towed it, did they pick up the cost of towing?

Teslapalooza | 07. Dezember 2016

Sorry to hear of your ordeal.

Did they have to tow the MX to the SC, or they used the non-powered steering to drive it there? If they towed it, did they pick up the cost of towing?

Redmiata98 | 07. Dezember 2016

Wow, first I have read/heard about this malfunction. Good thing you were not driving at the time!

Please keep us posted as the fix develops, ignore Carl's snarky comment.

inconel | 07. Dezember 2016

why is Carl's comment snarky?
I thought he just said not to worry as the Service Center will take care of the issue.

NumberOne | 07. Dezember 2016

@ramseshan2001 Tesla covers any towing related to warranty issues for up to 500 miles.

cecilycassum | 07. Dezember 2016

The tow truck driver managed to 'steer' into onto the bed of the truck. I wasn't charged for towing.

jbanfie | 08. Dezember 2016

Sad to hear your power steering is busted, when I was at a showroom once, looking at a model S chassis, the salesman said that the Power Steering was supplied by Land Rover - I feel I need to say no more save:

NEVER, EVER BUY A JAGUAR LAND ROVER PRODUCT!

Cheers

jleonar1 | 08. Dezember 2016

I had a limited edition jaguar for 3 years and it only had one issue the entire time. Loose ground to battery. I think Tata Motors is doing a great job with that brand and my Range Rover has also been very reliable. If the X is as reliable of either of these cars I'll be thrilled.

carlbrown | 08. Dezember 2016

Have to back up jleonar on that, I've had 3 RR Sports including an SVR and an F-type and they had very few problems. Main one was squeaky brakes on the SVR which had replacement discs and pads free of charge after having done nearly 10k miles in the car!

JLR have their issues, same as every other manufacturer out there including tesla.

cecilycassum | 13. Dezember 2016

So it was a loose wire that caused the problem and it was fixed the next day.

rossRallen | 13. Dezember 2016

Did you get any instrument panel warning of a failure?

A loose wire? Yikes!

johnfrum | 23. April 2017

NHTSA has been notified of these repeated loose wire incidents.
Hopefully they will demand immediate action.
Please do the right thing and report these failures to NHTSA.
If you do not then you may have blood on your hands.

JayInJapan | 23. April 2017

Thanks for the advice, keef. Everything going well here. Best car I've ever driven.

lilbean | 23. April 2017

Poor keef

JayInJapan | 23. April 2017

Need more info than a random headline, keef. The one I know about, driver thought the car would steer around car stopped on the side of a highway while driver was texting. Silly driver. Not a problem for me. I keep my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

johnfrum | 23. April 2017

I keep my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road too.
No stupid Autopilot for me.

My power steering and power brakes are not liable to fail at any instant due to loose electrical connection.

Terdsla - UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED.

zanegler | 23. April 2017

I smell a short. This feeble attempt will not help your cause. Suggesting reporting this to NHTSA is like suggesting reporting a dog barking next door to Homeland Security. You do know that all things in life are temporal in nature, even a Tesla.

Why dont you short the coal industry? I feel certain your results will be much better.

lilbean | 23. April 2017

It's the same old tired Keef W.

Silver2K | 23. April 2017

One would think keef would be long by now.

joe_jet | 23. April 2017

Why are there so many trolls on the Tesla forums? There are more here than any other forum I frequent. I thought the general aviation guys were bad with their strong differences of opinion, but this is very different. I'm guessing there are people employed by GM or some other manufacturer that are paid to "bad mouth" Tesla.

I noticed the Land Rover sticker on the chasdis skeleton. I became immediately concerned. I'm not sure if Land Rover owns Lucas. Lucas have been notorious for making bad automobile and aircraft components. I have had first hand experiences with both; a Lucas brake master cylinder in my jeep failed and lost the main brakes entirely. Had a Lucas thrust reverser relay on a Learjet fail, thankfully, and ironically, on the ground in London, that could have gotten seven kinds of weird in the air.

lilbean | 23. April 2017

This forum is becoming useless because of that. What a shame.

Redmiata98 | 24. April 2017

Not totally useless, I find continuing helpful and correct infirmation here all the time.
To help in the weeding, exercise your right to flag.

Redmiata98 | 24. April 2017

InfORmation, although most of the Trolls ARE causing infIrmation ;-)