Forums

Grinding brake noise after the severe rain

Grinding brake noise after the severe rain

Has anyone experienced loud grinding noise when stepping on the brake after the recent rain storm in California? Also, I noticed brown (rust color) dust on the rotors as well. I wiped the rotors off, but i still hear the grinding noise when I step on the brake. The noise gets better after I drive around for 5 minutes? Any recommendations? Is this normal for Tesla?

patrick40363 | 24. Januar 2017

Picked up a stone? I had one two years ago and it worked itself out. Back up a couple of times.

PedanticOne | 24. Januar 2017

Rust is pretty normal after a rain/washing your car. Usually the first braking session will get rid of it.

burdogg | 24. Januar 2017

I have been having it as well and not sure if it is related to rain or not. We have a service appointment in Feb for something else, but they are going to take a look. They first had a high squeak to them, now it is just a grind and you can even feel it as much as hear it.

lilbean | 24. Januar 2017

You should look and see it too. Big rust spots. I wonder how it tastes?

mhxprs | 24. Januar 2017

Yes, I had that too. But it is gone when the weather turns clear

Starlifter | 24. Januar 2017

I have a ranger coming to check it out. since delivery you can really hear the brakes grinding (particularly the front). yet, i had it inspected and they didn't see anything. then, i had to travel out of town so the car sat for a week. when backing out of the garage it made horrible noises from the front brakes and it was sluggish - like when you forget to release the emergency brake. took a few days for the noise to go away - but i want it checked out for sure.

burdogg | 24. Januar 2017

Let us know what they find if anything. It does seem to be the front brakes for me too.

Hmm. If you hadn't driven for a week it could totally just be a rust coat, especially if it went away. Usually a good long, hard stop will wear it off the rotors. I remember this happening every time I washed my GT3. Rusty rotors and then grindy sounds, but it'd be all good after a few miles.

Starlifter | 24. Januar 2017

@PedanticOne

Perhaps. I'm also aware the car is so quiet I'm hearing things not usually heard in my Gas vehicle. That being said, I'll feel better having it checked out. Besides, I have a few other small issues that need looked at - such as my daughter getting wet when we open the FWD in the rain!

Triggerplz | 24. Januar 2017

@ Lilbean you may have to ask some of guys that pulled up beside me at a red light about taste, they been tasting my dust for months ;-)

@Starlifter Oh, I'm not saying you shouldn't have it checked just in case. It's all good. :-)

Triggerplz | 24. Januar 2017

"Some of the guys"

lilbean | 24. Januar 2017

Haha!

mhkeyemd | 24. Januar 2017

Thanks.... so it sounds like this is common. I never had this type of problem with my other cars. I also hear the grinding noise from the front left side. If anyone can get an answer from SC, please let me know. I just picked up my car from SC to fix my squeaking driver seat, and I really don't want to go back again for a long time....

MUSKeteer | 24. Januar 2017

I recently took it in to a SC to complain about the screeching sound, and I had three different guys there tell me that it is normal and that they have had numerous complaints about it. The sound does lessen the more you use the brakes.

There has been quite a bit of rain in the Bay Area lately, and the screeching sound is noticeably more jarring in the mornings after having driven home in heavy rain the night before.

sandeshr76 | 25. Januar 2017

I dropped into the service center today and asked. They said these are high performance brakes and since most Tesla owners use their regen the distance between the brake pads and the rotors is really small. When it rains there is a coating of rust which develops on the rotors and the first time the brakes are applied or the first 20-30s when the brakes are applied this coat is removed due the friction which again does not happen as often due to the regen. Bottom line is as we drive the car more the brake pads wear out and the squeaking would disappear . Another guy told me they were exploring grinding the brake pads a bit to make this gap wider to simulate brake use so it would not squeak but this was not something they might land up doing as a generic solution.

PedanticOne | 25. Januar 2017

You should never grind your pads. That will tear up your rotor real fast.

mhkeyemd | 25. Januar 2017

@sandershr76
Thanks... I guess I just need to step on the brakes or wash off the rotors...
It sounds like not a big issue. Hopefully...

bandsterdoc | 25. Januar 2017

Tesla brakes are really squeaky. Personally I think its bogus that it's because of not using them much due to regen. I have a Wrangler that I drive once a month, it sits out in the rain and snow and doesn't squeak a bit. My wife has a Jag that doesn't get driven much, high performance red brakes and all, and brakes are quiet as a mouse even after sitting for weeks. Good news is other than that, I have no complaints it's an awesome car!

PedanticOne | 25. Januar 2017

It's not bogus at all. I had brembos on my GT3 they did the same thing. Depends on your rotors. Brembo rotors are mostly cast iron, and guess what iron does when it gets wet?

sandeshr76 | 25. Januar 2017

@PedanticOne true , they are not doing that and sent me back saying this is expected
@mhkeyemd That is what they said , drive for 10-20 seconds and brake couple of times before hitting the road and its smooth , I can confirm this is the case

carlk | 25. Januar 2017

Rust on rotors is likely the cause. It is especially noticeable for Tesla since regen braking made friction brake little used. The brighter side is you don't see as much brake dusts as you see on regular cars and your brake will last much longer.

X Red 5 | 26. Januar 2017

All the cars I have driven have had after rain would have a rust break squeak of some sort. My X sounded so much worst after the rain and did not disappear in the typical drive distance. The explanations of the quitness of the car and and the regen makes sense.

Fiona | 27. Januar 2017

Me too. Sounds like you have stones in the calipers. Seems to have improved after cpl thousand miles tho

Fiona | 27. Januar 2017

So just actually read some of the posts. It's not rust. I use my brakes plenty hard enough & they've done it since new. It's been raining plenty recently & they are improving now that I've used them hard for cpl K miles. There's no way mine have rust build up - it's still only few weeks old so I've been pushing it fairly hard as still having lot of fun with the 0-60 thing & have been driving it race style so the brakes are getting some work...

Fiona | 27. Januar 2017

So just actually read some of the posts. It's not rust. I use my brakes plenty hard enough & they've done it since new. It's been raining plenty recently & they are improving now that I've used them hard for cpl K miles. There's no way mine have rust build up - it's still only few weeks old so I've been pushing it fairly hard as still having lot of fun with the 0-60 thing & have been driving it race style so the brakes are getting some work...

PedanticOne | 27. Januar 2017

Rust can happen after just washing your car. It doesn't need to sit. Just spray your rotors with a hose and come back later and you'll see rust.

Has it been wet/raining where you live? How do you know it's not rust?

COrich | 27. Januar 2017

This very thing happens with my VWs. They are real noisy (grinding sound) after driving on roads that they have sprayed deicer on and the cars have sat for several hours. It goes away after a couple firm applications of the brakes. This is just surface corrosion (rust) on the rotors that gets removed by the pads after use.

It sounds like the same thing will happen with the X.