Forums

False object detection

False object detection

Is anyone else running into this issue where your X is detecting an object and won't accelerate? The message is object versus car and doesn't show a ghost vehicle on the screen but requires letting off the accelerator and then reapplying it to drive again.
This is on my new CPO P90DL with AP1 and happens ~once per drive in forward and reverse. Perhaps the sensors are set too sensitive...

MasterT | 03. Februar 2017

Maybe a trip to the service center is in order.

poloX | 03. Februar 2017

I did not experience this on the AP1 but almost everyday on AP2.0 car. Even shadows of cars on opposite direction casting onto my lane can cause my car to brake. A few times, there is a red car on my instrument panel and chime but the car never slowed down at all. Scary. Sometimes, the red car is not ghost at all. There was indeed a car in front of me but that car was just causing any danger to me.

prestonward | 16. Februar 2017

None of the AP1 cars I have driven ever did they but AP 2 does.

prestonward | 16. Februar 2017

None of the AP1 cars I have driven ever did they but AP 2 does.

ken | 16. Februar 2017

this happen quite often next to trailer's shadow and camera picks up as object.

l.slavy | 16. Februar 2017

Happens a lot on highways day or night. Waiting for my first SC visit. I am also staying away of TACC or auto-steer until a fix is released or until I am told it's safe to drive it.

upgrade | 17. Februar 2017

This happen to me quite a bit. Mine fully de-accelerates and whips me forward, pretty annoying. I usually have to press the pedal or de-engage the autopilot.

TeslAZ | 20. Februar 2017

I had this happen to me last week with AP1 on the freeway. It started decelerating rapidly for no reason. There was an overhead sign coming up, my assumption is that AP though this was another vehicle.

vperl | 23. Februar 2017

AP 2.0 with enhanced.

Does a radar detector, or police Radar gun cause interference and cause the vehicle to think there is an obstacle up Front .

Just Asking.

SolidWhite60DX | 23. Februar 2017

FWIW, I used TACC a lot (AP2) and I've never experienced this, so perhaps visit your SC.

MhoPower | 23. Februar 2017

The OP is saying he cannot accelerate. I have AP2 and I get ghost braking (mostly regen) from overhead bridges signs and even wires when using TACC, but I can manually accelerate in these case. The OP seems to be raising a different issue.

Vawlkus | 24. Februar 2017

@vperl: Highly doubtful.

TeslaTap.com | 24. Februar 2017

@vperl "Does a radar detector, or police Radar gun cause interference?"

No. They use a different frequency. The vehicle radar uses 77 GHz, radar "guns" use 12 GHz or less. In addition the radar signal is keyed uniquely to each car - so two Teslas or other car brands with radars do not get confused with each other's reflections.

poloX | 24. Februar 2017

All, when TACC and/or auto steering act unexpectedly like the many time TACC slammed on the brake for no reason, please send the exact time stamp of when it happened and send to Tesla. I did it and they responded the very next day followed by a call and asking for the time, location, direction...And picture would be nice but I would not do that while driving. They told me then over the phone they would pull the log. In that same day afternoon, they called back again with he status of the diagnostic of my log. I reported the second time and they responded again via email the very next day too and promised they would pull the logs too. No call on the second time because I provided with the detail location, direction and time. The time stamps help them narrow down the log files to extract. I am sharing this so you know they take this very seriously. With our help, the system will work better and and we are the ones who will have much to gain. So please take the time to jog down the time stamps and send them.

l.slavy | 24. Februar 2017

@poloX - any idea on how long does it take to implement a fix?

poloX | 24. Februar 2017

I.Slavy, it can be very quick. I believe it is not required a S/W or F/W update even. They send the updates to the db file it fixes not only for your car but for the whole fleet. My map was updated last week without any S/W or F/W update. I will drive to the location where I reported having TACC slammed on the brake tomorrow. Will see if it is fixed or not. But it is very important we report the locations where we all experience the problem. That is the beaut of fleet learning.

vperl | 25. Februar 2017

Good to know

vperl | 25. Februar 2017

Good to know

Saxman | 25. Februar 2017

Thanks polo.

It happened to me for the 1st time on I-70E.

l.slavy | 25. Februar 2017

@polo - that should be done automatically. Not sure why I am "required" to report it (but I do it). The search algorithms should be able to detect these things. If there are just a few Teslas in one area and no one is reporting the "fleet" should be able to learn from the data received from those cars. Maybe at this point the "fleet learning" has human component to it.

poloX | 25. Februar 2017

I.slavy,
It would take way much more time if no one report. Sure all events are recorded. But they must pull the logs and review the unlimited length of the file. Then when they find an event, did the car actually saw something and reacted appropriately? Way too time consuming. If you would tell them what day, at which hour, min, they can go right there and review only the 30s before and after. Make sense to me. Plus, they take it very seriously and responded and calls. Why? Because those are good info for them. Save them much time, I am NOT guessing. Tesla explained that to me.

poloX | 25. Februar 2017

Install a voice recorded app on your phone. When it happens, just record the time and location and direction, then shoot them an email later with these incidence. Its for all of us, yourself included even your love ones and all drivers on the road who don't even drive a Tesla, right?

l.slavy | 25. Februar 2017

"But they must pull the logs and review the unlimited length of the file."
This has to be done automatically by search algorithms in a timely manner. I am not gonna say that human reports are not needed sometimes but they should not be the norm.

"Plus, they take it very seriously and responded and calls."
3 weeks to respond is not good (personal experience)

Saxman | 25. Februar 2017

Polo

I thought the voice activator on steering wheel enabled a report to Tesla when you say..."Bug Report," then describe it

poloX | 26. Februar 2017

I.slavy, maybe you suggest that algorithms to them. I don't disagree. Just saying what they told me how it is today.

I reported 2 times and they responded the next day. Not sure why they did for you.

Saxman, I read about that but totally forgot how. Would be great if you could refresh how that works?

Thanks

Saxman | 26. Februar 2017

Polo

Page 41 of User Manual:

NOTE: You can also use Voice Commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say Note, Report, Bug Note...

poloX | 26. Februar 2017

Great. Thanks

Saxman | 26. Februar 2017

Your Welcome

:)