Forums

Almost all Americans want climate change action

Almost all Americans want climate change action

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/maps-show-where-americans-car...

If this is true why are fossil fuel companies advisors in charge?

SCCRENDO | 29. März 2018

@redshift. Trust me. You are far more intelligent than him.
@Mike83. I am getting pretty tired of this circus act that we have endured for the past 14 months. Glad some Republicans are beginning to wake up. Let's impeach the clown, jail his traitor cronies and vote out the spineless congress. It's time to rejoin the sane world.

2018wesm | 29. März 2018

massimbo with the classic "lol look at these libtards and their silly climate change conspiracies"

MitchP85D | 29. März 2018

Hey Goebbels Apprentice, I am glad there are lots of people more intelligent, more capable, and wealthier than me. Libertarians are not bothered by that. I have observed through my lifetime that authoritarian liberals hate those more intelligent and wealthier than them!

SCCRENDO | 29. März 2018

LiberLs welcome people more intelligent than themselves. Excellent there are fewer of them

RedShift | 29. März 2018

@mitch

“I have observed through my lifetime that authoritarian liberals hate those more intelligent and wealthier than them!”

If that were true, I’d have hated Elon Musk. And be hopelessly in love with you :-D

MitchP85D | 29. März 2018

The driving force behind the progressive income tax is envy and hate for those more successful. Now, which side of the political fence is for the progressive income tax?

RedShift | 29. März 2018

You claim to be open minded but you seem to hold so many closed minded presumptions!

Remnant | 30. März 2018

@SCCRENDO (March 29, 2018)

<< LiberLs welcome people more intelligent than themselves. >>

What a canard ... !!!!!!

SaSoTs belong with the Grand Academy of Lagado in Balnibarbi, where "great resources and manpower are employed on researching ... schemes such as extracting sunbeams from cucumbers, softening marble for use in pillows, learning how to mix paint by smell, and uncovering political conspiracies by examining the excrement of suspicious persons ... "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulliver%27s_Travels

Climate-Change/AGW supporters are a collection of imbeciles, but they have the excuse of being unable to do any better.

Mike83 | 30. März 2018

Climate deniers keep trying to find someone legitimate to con others in the belief(religion) that burning fossil fuel is OK since their salary depends on it. They have little in the way of ethics as can easily be witnessed by their non Christian intolerance and hate. Very sad to see fellow man wallow in such wicked behavior.

Tesla-David | 30. März 2018

@Remnant, I typically ignore your stupid posts, because you never have anything worthwhile to say, but:
"Climate-Change/AGW supporters are a collection of imbeciles" You and Mitch are the real imbeciles posting here. We link to science/facts that explain our beliefs but you and Mitch can't seem to post any credible sources for your ignorant arguments. You need to get out more and look around, Climate change is real and happening now. Coral reef ecosystems are bleaching/dying worldwide, and that is an inconvenient fact. Seal levels are rising, just talk to the Mayor of Miami.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/florida/articles/2017-07-22/sea-...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/04/coral-reef-bleaching...

Tesla-David | 30. März 2018

seal = sea

SCCRENDO | 30. März 2018

@Tesla-David. Thanks.

So what do you say to that @weathermoron and @Brain_Remnant???

Remnant | 30. März 2018

@Tesla-David (March 30, 2018)

<< We link to science/facts that explain our beliefs but you and Mitch can't seem to post any credible sources for your ignorant arguments. >>

In fact, no other group of chattering dimwits can be farther from science.

Mikhail Voloshin's random walk analysis of NOAA and GISTEMP climate data processing neatly disposes of the concept of global average temperature. Freeman Dyson has repeatedly made a similar point. He also underscored the crucial idea that mathematical models should only be used to understand scientific data because their predictive abilities are close to nil.

Many reputable scientists consider the claim that AGW is incontrovertible and the "last word" of science an absurd, anti-scientific, and fraudulent tenet. They treat AGW and the derived "Climate Change" cover-up truism as mere pseudo-science.

I will not bother to throw links at you. Mitch has already attempted that, with no results. The Apocalyptic AGW zealots, such as yourself, are unresponsive, and that makes them enemies of science and the scientific method.

SCCRENDO | 30. März 2018

@Remnant. Do you have any clue as to the science you are trying to quote? You need to take a random walk. I think we have disposed of Voloshin’s BS. If you truly think there is something there try explain it to us. LOL
Please explain how Freeman refutes climate science. In fact he truly admits that man has contributed to climate change. If you are still going on about CO2 and plants please explain the excess CO2 that plants cannot handle that is contributing to the rising CO2 levels. Thought so. You are an empty vessel. But that is what we would expect from a mere brain remnant

Remnant | 30. März 2018

@SCCRENDO (March 30, 2018)

<< I think we have disposed of Voloshin’s BS ... LOL >>

You really don't understand Random Walk analysis and Data Processing. But I agree to LOL ... !!!!!!!!!

<< If you are still going on about CO2 and plants please explain the excess CO2 that plants cannot handle that is contributing to the rising CO2 levels. >>

You tripped on this one as well.

Here is what Dyson said about this himself:

"To stop the carbon in the atmosphere from increasing, we only need to grow the biomass in the soil by a hundredth of an inch per year. Good topsoil contains about ten percent biomass, [Schlesinger, 1977], so a hundredth of an inch of biomass growth means about a tenth of an inch of topsoil. Changes in farming practices such as no-till farming, avoiding the use of the plow, cause biomass to grow at least as fast as this. If we plant crops without plowing the soil, more of the biomass goes into roots which stay in the soil, and less returns to the atmosphere."

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/11/10/freeman-dyson-on-heretical-though...

SCCRENDO | 30. März 2018

I understand the random walk. You dont. It’s bullshit. That’s why I asked if you could explain. LOL. So prove that you are not the idiot we all think you are and explain the relevance.
As regards CO2. I guess at least you now concede that it is a problem. If it was that simple why don't all you deniers advocate for an increase in biomass by one hundredth of an inch. And while you are at it why don’t you explain how you are going to achieve this.

MitchP85D | 30. März 2018

Hey Tessie-Davey, is the NSIDC a reputable enough site for you? Take a look at what is going on in Antarctica.

As of 29 MAR 2018, the Antarctic sea ice extent was 4.630 X 10^6 km2. On this same date in 2017, the Antarctic sea ice extent was 3.278 X 10^6 km2. This year, the Antarctic sea ice extent is running 1.352 X 10^6 km2 ABOVE last year! That is a massive recovery from the big El Nino induced decline of 2016-2017.

I predict that the Antarctic sea ice extent maximum will reach 18.5 X 10^6 km2 or higher in 2018. In 2017, the max was 18.030 X 10^6 km2. I also predict the global sea ice extent will reach 25.0 X 10^6 km2 or higher this year as well.

You goofy, dumbass global warming worshippers keep claiming that the polar ice will melt away. I'm calling you AGW zealots (Remnant's terminology) out! Any of you care to challenge my predictions? If I am so feeble minded and inferior to you SaSoTs, you have a real opportunity here to prove me wrong.

Will any of you challenge my predictions? Of course not! And the reason is simple. Y'all are a bunch of woossie-pus liberal democrats. That's why!

Hey Goebbels Apprentice, you keep yakin' to me about "the area under the curve." Well, guess what AGW Zealot in Chief, got some "area under the curve" data for you to look at. It is from the Multisensor Analyzed Sea Ice Extent.

Click "Sea Ice" in the left column, then scroll down to the MASIE data.

http://www.climate4you.com/

Look at the graph which shows the Northern Hemisphere Sea Ice Area from 2005 to 2018. Is there any kind of an alarming trend you can see there? You would have to have one highly overactive imagination to discern any kind of a climate alarm from the "area under the curve" data!

The same goes for the rest of you global warming worshippers. Can you show me the alarm? This is why Freeman Dyson referred to your religious zeal on AGW!

SCCRENDO | 30. März 2018

Yes Weathermoron I do. You look at pictures and believe what you want. I look at the graphs that have been carefully calculated and the AUC for the Arctic for 2017-2018 is looking pretty low. Again that Texas A&M education deficiency becomes evident.

I can tell you blew off the MASIE data Goebbels Apprentice!

SCCRENDO | 30. März 2018

I did not blow off anything. Please show me what you are imagining dear weathermoron.

Just follow the instructions on my two previous posts.

SCCRENDO | 31. März 2018

I did weathermoron. Nice pics but we need quantitaion.

Tesla-David | 31. März 2018

Things are getting dire for Exxon as the lawsuits continue. Their day of reckoning is coming and this scumbag company will ultimately have to pay for the damages they have helped inflect on our fragile planet relative to AGW/Climate Disruption by promoting misinformation, when their own scientists told them they were responsible.

https://www.ecowatch.com/exxon-climate-lawsuit-2554739359.html?utm_sourc...

Tesla-David | 31. März 2018

These banks identified in this link continue to fund Fossil fuel extraction, and need to be boycotted. Disgusting money grubbing banks with no morality or ethics relative to saving our planet from the ravages of AGW/Climate Disruption. The top three funding tar sands extraction and pipelines are "The Royal Bank of Canada, TD Bank, and JP Morgan Chase.

https://www.ecowatch.com/fossil-fuel-funding-2554112901.html?utm_source=...

Mike83 | 31. März 2018

Yes. I read that too Tesla-David. De fund all the bankers that support polluting Americans. Like the tobacco companies the gig is up.

MitchP85D | 01. April 2018

If you had looked at the MASIE data Goebbels Apprentice, you would have known that it was not a pic! It is a graph of the Arctic Sea Ice area under the curve from 2005 to 2018. MASIE data completely falsifies your claim that the Arctic ice AUC is getting less and less, and will go away completely! It has the quantitative data right there before you in plain daylight!

And like always, in typical global warming worshipping fashion, you cover your eyes and ears and go LALALALALALALALALALALALA!

SCCRENDO | 01. April 2018

Hey weathermoron. It looks up you are up to your fraudulent cherry picking once again. One should always ask why all every site shows Arctic Ice Loss yet our weathermoron digs up data that gives the impression that it is not losing ice as fast. So I guess we need to see what Maisie was designed for. It is certainly better to elucidate the ice edges and is more accurate for day to day comparisons but not long term. Now either you didn’t bother to read the web site or you are a total fraud in that you cherry pick data that you try use to suit your narrative despite the know limitations of the data.

And I quote what you missed
‘MASIE was developed by NSIDC and NIC to fill a need for an intermediate type of product; one between operational charts and the passive microwave based Sea Ice Index. MASIE is based on the NIC IMS product and gives a daily picture of ice extent that is easy to use and available in several formats. Daily values for hemisphere-wide and regional ice extent are made available in an Excel file of extent values and archived imagery is available for the complete data set. MASIE gives a quick picture of ice extent that is more accurate than the daily Sea Ice Index product and allows users to compare day-to-day changes in extent values. However, in general, it would not be appropriate to compare a recent MASIE extent value to one more than a few weeks old because the data sources and analysts NIC uses may have changed.’

What in the hell are you complaining about Goebbels Apprentice?! MASIE is a higher resolution method of measuring Arctic sea ice. In other words, it is more accurate! It catches the sea ice that was missed by using the 15+% coverage method by NSIDC. But, it only began on 01 JAN 2006. So, of course you can't compare MASIE to data before 01 JAN 2006!!!!

The graph I tried showing you goes back to 01 JAN 2006 and extends to the present.

Under the link, click "sea ice" in the left column.

Then, under the list of contents, click MASIE - Multisensor Analyzed Sea Ice Extent - Northern Hemisphere. Then, scroll down one below the so-called "pic" you referred to earlier! There, you can see the "stalagmite" looking graph that shows the Arctic sea ice coverage from 1 January 2006 to 16 March 2018.

Now tell me. Does that look like to you the Arctic sea ice is showing a trend of melting away during the last 12 years?!!!

And read the disclaimer.

‘MASIE was developed by NSIDC and NIC to fill a need for an intermediate type of product; one between operational charts and the passive microwave based Sea Ice Index. MASIE is based on the NIC IMS product and gives a daily picture of ice extent that is easy to use and available in several formats. Daily values for hemisphere-wide and regional ice extent are made available in an Excel file of extent values and archived imagery is available for the complete data set. MASIE gives a quick picture of ice extent that is more accurate than the daily Sea Ice Index product and allows users to compare day-to-day changes in extent values. However, in general, it would not be appropriate to compare a recent MASIE extent value to one more than a few weeks old because the data sources and analysts NIC uses may have changed.’

I did read it. Is there some kind of BFD about it?

Seems like a whole paragraph is too much for you to comprehend. So try the relevant sentence.

“However, in general, it would not be appropriate to compare a recent MASIE extent value to one more than a few weeks old because the data sources and analysts NIC uses may have changed.”

dmm1240 | 01. April 2018

"Yep, I know. That you are a flippity-floppity woosie-pus liberal!"

When one is reduced to insults it means they've already lost the argument. "You're one of THEM!" does not invalidate their ideas, though it does make the issuer look like a prime candidate for Xanax.

Just so you know.

MitchP85D | 02. April 2018

Are you hanging your hat on that weak statement Goebbels Apprentice? " In general, not appropriate" and "may have changed" are NOT disqualifiers of MASIE data!

The National Ice Center says nothing of the sort! They said their methods have been improving over the years.

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/ims_1.html

OK, so you are desperately trying to dismiss real scientific data. Are you and dim 1240 going to pull your woosie-pus liberal thing on the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) data?

Click "Sea Ice" in the left column, then click "IRAC JAXA recent Arctic sea ice extent." Scroll down one to the graph which shows sea ice extent data from 2002 to 2018.

It pretty well mirrors MASIE data don't ya think you AGW Zealots??!!!

You care to point out the alarm to me? You care to demonstrate how the Arctic ice is melting away to oblivion??!!!

SCCRENDO | 02. April 2018

@weathermoron. Yes it is only sentence but it carries meaning. The MASIE site touts its advantages and clearly states that it is not appropriate to use the data for long term predictions. And of course in true strawman mode you are fraudulently utilizing the data to make long term claims. If your interpretation was correct don't you think the NDSIC would support your facts. But unfortunately they state the opposite.
https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Tesla-David | 03. April 2018

One of the most corrupt cabinet picks by Drumpf, "Pruitt" will soon be heading to the exit door. May it slam him hard on the way out. Total scumbag!

https://www.ecowatch.com/pruitt-corruption-scandal-condo-2555549162.html...

SamO | 03. April 2018

Talk about a complete kleptocracy . . . fcuk

Mike83 | 03. April 2018

These morons have no shame. I hope American voters have learned a lesson or they may need to go further down to economic ruin. Birds of a feather flock together is something they need to understand.

SamO | 03. April 2018

Carbon tax funding basic income. Solves climate problems and automation problems.

MitchP85D | 03. April 2018

Hey Goebbels Apprentice, I'm not using MASIE data for "long-term predictions"! I use MASIE data for recent OBSERVATIONS! Big-ass difference don't ya think AGW Zealot in Chief?

And the observations show as supported by JAXA that there is nothing alarming going on in the Arctic. And if you look at the Antarctic, the sea ice extent is recovering remarkably from last year! I remember all of the AGW Zealots got really excited about how Antarctica "lost" a whole bunch of sea ice in 2017. And this was so-called "proof" that humans were melting the polar ice caps away! Well, what is happening in Antarctica now? Have a look!

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/

Click the Antarctic tab. The 2018 curve by default is plotted. Click 2017 and see how it compares to 2018.

As of 02 APR 2018, the Antarctic sea ice extent was 4,882,000 km2. On 02 APR 2017, the Antarctic sea ice extent was 3,581,000 km2. THE ANTARCTIC SEA ICE IS CURRENTLY RUNNING 1,301,000 km2 AHEAD OF LAST YEAR!

Let me see. I suppose the AGW Zealot in Chief will claim that is bad data, or that the data is inappropriate to use!

The fundamental fact remains. You global warming worshippers keep squealing the polar ice is melting away to oblivion, BUT THE OBSERVATIONS DO NOT VERIFY YOUR FALSE CLAIM!

SCCRENDO | 03. April 2018

@weathermoron. You are totally scientifically illiterate. Thank you Texas A&M. We have discussed the Arctic on many occasions and any year from 2010 is more than 2 SD less than the mean. The Antarctic sea ice is a lot more variable for a variety of reasons but it is losing and 2018 is very similar to 2017. So stop cherry-picking isolated days to make up up your own imbecilic story and look at the scientific interpretations
https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/seaice/characteristics/difference.html
https://www.skepticalscience.com/arctic-antarctic-sea-ice-intermediate.htm
http://www.dw.com/en/why-is-the-arctic-melting-faster-than-the-antarctic...

You are only whimpering right now Goebbels Apprentice. Previous predictions of the Arctic melting away have massively failed! And you AGW Zealots just keep doing the same failed thing over and over again!

@Weathermoron. No. I am just repeating facts that an illiterate like yourself cannot understand. I have posted supporting facts and refuted all your ridiculous conclusions. I am sorry man. It is an unfair fight. You are too uneducated to even understand the facts. I always liken a discussion with you to one with my 5 year old grandson. And I am sorry to say that it is more fum with him because he is far smarter than you and he is willing to learn.

RedShift | 03. April 2018

Trump has Pruitt’s ‘back’ according to a news item today.

Crooks of a feather. Repugnant reptiles.

Hey Goebbels Apprentice, I'm calling bullcrap on your sorry ass concerning Antarctica!

http://notrickszone.com/2018/04/03/antarctic-temperature-data-contradict...

Oh, and the AGW Zealot said that 2018 looks a lot like 2017 down in Antarctica? I challenge you to look at the AREA UNDER THE CURVE! Compare 2017 to 2018. Tell me what happened in March!

Here you go weathermoron. Let us teach you what Texas A&M failed to do
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/20/antarctic-peninsula-...
https://skepticalscience.com/how-world-warmed-in-2017.html

And from Wikipedia
“Global warming Edit

Main article: Global warming in Antarctica

Antarctic Skin Temperature Trends between 1981 and 2007, based on thermal infrared observations made by a series of NOAA satellite sensors. Skin temperature trends do not necessarily reflect air temperature trends.
The continent-wide average surface temperature trend of Antarctica is positive and significant at >0.05 °C/decade since 1957.[28][29][30][31] The West Antarctic ice sheet has warmed by more than 0.1 °C/decade in the last 50 years, and is strongest in winter and spring. Although this is partly offset by fall cooling in East Antarctica, this effect is restricted to the 1980s and 1990s.[28][29][30]

Research published in 2009 found that overall the continent had become warmer since the 1950s, a finding consistent with the influence of man-made climate change:

"We can't pin it down, but it certainly is consistent with the influence of greenhouse gases from fossil fuels", said NASA scientist Drew Shindell, another study co-author. Some of the effects also could be natural variability, he said.[32]
The British Antarctic Survey, which has undertaken the majority of Britain's scientific research in the area, stated in 2009:[33]

West Antarctic ice loss could contribute to 1.4 metres (4 feet 7 inches) sea level rise
Antarctica predicted to warm by around 3 °C (5.4 °F) over this century
10% increase in sea ice around the Antarctic
Rapid ice loss in parts of the Antarctic
Warming of the Southern Ocean will cause changes in Antarctic ecosystem
Hole in ozone layer, which has shielded most of Antarctica from global warming

0 September 2007 NASA map showing previously un-melted snowmelt
The area of strongest cooling appears at the South Pole, and the region of strongest warming lies along the Antarctic Peninsula. A possible explanation is that loss of UV-absorbing ozone may have cooled the stratosphere and strengthened the polar vortex, a pattern of spinning winds around the South Pole. The vortex acts like an atmospheric barrier, preventing warmer, coastal air from moving into the continent's interior. A stronger polar vortex might explain the cooling trend in the interior of Antarctica.[34]

In their latest study (20 September 2007) NASA researchers have confirmed that Antarctic snow is melting farther inland from the coast over time, melting at higher altitudes than ever and increasingly melting on Antarctica's largest ice shelf.[35]

There is also evidence for widespread glacier retreat around the Antarctic Peninsula.[36]

Researchers reported on 21 December 2012 in Nature Geoscience that from 1958 to 2010, the average temperature at the mile-high Byrd Station rose by 2.4 °C (4.3 °F), with warming fastest in its winter and spring. The spot which is in the heart of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet is one of the fastest-warming places on Earth. In 2015, the temperature showed changes but in a stable manner and the only months that have drastic change in that year are August and September. It also did show that the temperature was very stable throughout the year.[37][38][39][40]”

Mike83 | 04. April 2018

Does the GOP hate success? California is the 5th largest world economy providing income for the entire US supporting the loser welfare states. We need to cut off money to these lazy bums like the fossil fuel tax leeches who now seem to like the Russians over Americans.

Yet California sets two solar records.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/california-sets-two-new-sol...

MitchP85D | 04. April 2018

Hey AGW Zealot Master,

"...said NASA scientist Drew Shindell, another study co-author. Some of the effects also could be natural variability, he said."

That's it in a nutshell! Dr. Roy Spencer has been saying this for years. The human influence on climate could be 10%, or 90%. We don't have a clue!

My stance on climate is the same as Spencer's. I don't have a clue. So, what should we do about it? Well, let's improve our methods of monitoring the climate, and see what the observations reveal. This will be far more productive for climate science than making alarming predictions via computer models and focus on producing GOVERNMENT POLICY from it!!!!

I can make the claim that I don't have a clue. What does Goebbels Apprentice claim? Oh, he is all knowing, and he knows exactly what will happen 100 years into the future of our climate! Therefore, we should all bow down to these climate alarmists' predictions, and just take what these elitist snobs want us to do with our lives!

SCCRENDO | 04. April 2018

@Weathermoron. Still quoting from the prophet Spencer who believes the earth was created 6000 years ago? Btw. Did you ever pose our question on his blog and how did he explain it??

Uncle Paul | 05. April 2018

If all this fossil fuel burning is destroying the environment, why do people keep doing it?

Pages