Forums

Will the Pre Owned Model S go down in price when the M3 start coming out?

Will the Pre Owned Model S go down in price when the M3 start coming out?

I'm a Model 3 reservation holder as well but I'm thinking about buying a pre owned MS for my wife. I noticed within the last month or so that the MS60 price has gone up ALOT in price. Do you think that the pre owned prices will go down when the Modeel 3 starts coming out?

Red Sage ca us | 05. März 2017

All the Model S has to do is maintain a superior residual value than competitors: AUDI A8, BMW 7-Series, and S-Class. A CPO Model S is unlikely to be discounted due to the arrival of Model 3.

Ross1 | 05. März 2017

I think they will go up as more and more people seeing a Model 3 hear about Tesla and want one

sunnyvale45 | 05. März 2017

Bandjames one thing you should think if you bought an MS for your wife, your model 3 reservation will jump in the queue because you are now a Tesla Owner. I was waiting for Model 3 and now I am getting a CPO with ap1, I am not going cxl my Model 3 reservation at this point, because I will move up the line. (though I put my deposit on the first day)

Frank99 | 05. März 2017

I'm guessing that it'll take a couple of years - but eventually there will be a lot more Tesla's - Model S, Model X, Model 3 - on the used market which will tend to depress prices. Certainly for the first year it's unlikely to have much effect.

bardjames20 | 05. März 2017

Sunnyvale45, believe me that's one reason why I'm more than happy to buy her a MS. Nothing nicer than jumping up the que. Hoping to see my M3 by Christmas if we get the MS first...hoping

bardjames20 | 05. März 2017

Sunnyvale45, believe me that's one reason why I'm more than happy to buy her a MS. Nothing nicer than jumping up the que. Hoping to see my M3 by Christmas if we get the MS first...hoping

SoFlaModel3 | 05. März 2017

Guys I'm not convinced becoming a current owner at this stage does anything for priority and you probably shouldn't make that assumption.

SoFlaModel3 | 05. März 2017

As an aside if that's that the case, I'll buy a used S right before the design studio opens and then sell it when the 3 comes a few months later.

Carl Thompson | 05. März 2017

SoFlaModel3:
"Guys I'm not convinced becoming a current owner at this stage does anything for priority and you probably shouldn't make that assumption."

I agree with SoFlaModel3. I wouldn't think buying an S (or X) would jump you in line ahead of people who were already in line _before_ you bout the S (or X). I would definitely get that in writing if that's going to be a factor in your buying decision.

Carl

sunnyvale45 | 05. März 2017

hey carl Thompson,
I should stated, that when I put the deposit on my CPO, the tesla Sales person told me that I would jump in line,

KP in NPT | 05. März 2017

Elon has said that buying an S or X will allow you to jump the line. He or no one at Tesla has said otherwise.

greg | 06. März 2017

Those older CPO X's and S's (that were first delivered prior to ending of free lifetime SC access in Q1 of this year), may well keep a higher resale value because of this fact of free lifetime SC access.

In fact a MS or MX first made and delivered after AP2 HW *and* with lifetime SC access may retain the highest resale value longer term [for now anyway].

But for getting a [immediate] queue position jump, any old CPO? S or X should do it if Elon is still correct.

SoFlaModel3 | 06. März 2017

I would fact check that.

All I remember seeing was current owners could get priority, but and that's a big but....

I am hard pressed to believe someone can buy an S or an X a full year after people waited in line to put down pre-reveal reservations and then suddenly jump them in the queue.

Not sure that makes sense...

dsvick | 06. März 2017

KP is right, it has been said by Tesla that even if your purchased an S or X after you placed your reservation it would still get you the existing owners priority.

What no one knows for sure though is exactly what that priority will end up being. If you are in the market for a car, can afford it, and it what you want then, by all means, get one, but I wouldn't do it solely to move up win line when it may not make that much difference.

topher | 06. März 2017

It would seem remarkably unlikely that buying a CPO S or X would jump you up in line by 300,000 people. It does *not* seem unlikely that it would jump you 10,000 people. That's two weeks at the ramp up level they will likely be at, at that time.

Thank you kindly.

Carl Thompson | 06. März 2017

dsvick:

"KP is right, it has been said by Tesla that even if your purchased an S or X after you placed your reservation it would still get you the existing owners priority."

Source?

Thanks,
Carl

Red Sage ca us | 06. März 2017

SoFlaModel3: Some like big butts and they cannot lie... Hmmm... Whuzzat? He was talking about something else? Oh, nevermind.

jordanrichard | 08. März 2017

I too believe the values of the MS will go up as the number of Model 3s on the road go up. The Model 3 will just bring more attention to the Tesla brand and there are people that want to have the top of the line car.

KP in NPT | 08. März 2017

@Carl, Tesla/Elon has said several times since the reveal that they could buy and S/X to get Model 3 priority. They have never said anything differently so the assumption is that still stands.

Googling only showed the initial announcement - but it has definitely been said since, probably at end of quarter pushes - but didn't get reported again (that shows up on google) because it wasn't new news.

KP in NPT | 08. März 2017

I'm sure a call to Tesla sales would clear it up if anyone believes its not true.

jpfunderburk | 08. März 2017

It makes total sense to give existing owners priority from a value retention point of view. It just drives up demand and protects the brand.

Carl Thompson | 08. März 2017

@KP

Thanks for the info!

mntlvr23 | 08. März 2017

Maybe people buying an S or X in June 2017 will jump all of the non-owners, or maybe they will jump up a little bit, I for one do not know .... but ........

I am not sure that it matters that much. Tesla has been selling Model S's for almost 5 years, so to think that there are incredibly large numbers of people who have not yet bought a Model S in the last 5 years but are now going to buy two Teslas all of a sudden - and that they will splurge on an S or X, just to get a little jump on buying a Model 3? I am sure that there are some, but I don't think that it is thousands, or anywhere near the numbers that will significantly push non-owners too far back.