Forums

So, will it drift?

So, will it drift?

It's awesome that Tesla is making beautiful, fast, RWD cars - and soon even an affordable one (which I've recently reserved). It does however feel like a bit of a waste that the available traction control settings makes it difficult, if not impossible to make the tail slide (in safe environments of course).

I recently test drove a new Model S, and as far as I can figure out, disabling traction control was only possible at very low speeds. The almost complete lack of youtube videos of one drifting (basically one video of some japanese guy who obviously modified the car or at least pulled some fuses) seem to confirm this issue.

Is there by any chance any Tesla officials that can say anything about any plans to do anything about this? If you look to BMW or Porsche, you have the ability to both enable a partial traction control that allows for some wheel slip, or turn it off alltogether. Why not on Tesla? I'm sure doing something about this would convince a number of naysayers that are still looking to the brands mentioned above.

PaceyWhitter | 10. März 2017

You can pull a fuse to disable traction control in the S. That also disables stability control, power steering, and vacuum brake assist. It is not recommended, but there is at least one video of a pretty sick burnout done after that fuse was pulled.

Rocky_H | 10. März 2017

I think there was a bit of a functionality changeover at some point. With my early 2014 model, I can turn the traction control off with the touch screen and spin donuts in a slick parking lot. At some point later on, I think something may have gotten changed to where it can't be turned completely off like that.

Carl Thompson | 10. März 2017

I'm not sure the demographic that buys Teslas overlaps a ton with the demographic that likes to drift. I'm not into that sort of thing but it seems to me the Model 3 platform could lend itself to it. Tesla could sell a "racing" trim that strips out some of the comfort and amenities and adds in all the performance. But on the other hand it seems to me that most of the people i see that are interested in stuff like drifting are younger and most young people can't afford to drop $35k for a car. So there may not be much of a market for it.

Carl

JeffreyR | 10. März 2017

@CT wrote, "Tesla could sell a 'racing' trim that strips out some of the comfort and amenities and adds in all the performance."

You can see what a race version looks like here:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a32307/this-modified-778-hp...

The problem w/ drifting is the traction control as mentioned above. Also the problem will be AWD vs. RWD that the OP points out. So Tesla would need to give you a "drift" option w/ a software update or do fun w/ fuses.

jefjes | 10. März 2017

Guess my desire to melt expensive rubber just to impress others has long passed. Just like all the muscle cars of my youth. If you can afford it and have a safe place to do it, then more power to ya.

Red Sage ca us | 10. März 2017

The fastest path through a turn is not sideways.

kaffine | 10. März 2017

The fastest path may not be sideways but it is still a lot of fun.

bigd | 10. März 2017

Red Sage "The fastest path through a turn is not sideways." And I am not sure that Red really understands all the physics involved +21

Red Sage ca us | 10. März 2017

kaffine: It's not so much fun watching the other guy's tail lights diminish over the horizon.

bigd: I think I get it well enough. I said 'through'. You can definitely get into a turn very quickly sideways... But the effort it takes to keep from piloting a spinmobile while in the turn and setting up for the exit takes time I'd rather not waste. Race the track. Race the clock. Keep the wheels on the tarmac and the front bumper ahead of you. But if one practices the Grand Turismo style of racing, in a mythical virtual realm where body damage from bouncing off concrete barriers is no issue...? Sure. Go ahead and drift to your heart's delight.

thorbjorn | 10. März 2017

carl: I don't have any facts about the demographics either. With regards to the cost: People who buy Porsches or BMW M3s wouldn't typically accept not having the option to disable the traction control, and those are just as expensive cars.

Badbot | 11. März 2017

rear wheel drive would drift well.
AWD makes drifting very hard as the front wheels will get bite and straiten the path

dd.micsol | 12. März 2017

I don't understand why you would want this at all. you go faster with all 4 with traction. Just want to look cool get the gold lambo.

kaffine | 12. März 2017

Because going around a corner sideways is FUN. I don't race against others so not concerned with loosing the race. Some of the events I have attended don't do lap times either.

andy.connor.e | 13. März 2017

get RWD, and you can enjoy your drifting.

PhillyGal | 14. März 2017

"So, will it drift?"

I DEFINITELY read that subject in my mom's voice because she's about the only one I know who'd ask me that.

Red Sage ca us | 14. März 2017

You can drift anything. Even a tank, if you want. It's fun. It looks cool. And when someone manages to do so without smashing a vehicle to bits through a tight course, everyone is equally surprised and dissappointed.

skygraff | 14. März 2017

Will it blend?

Red Sage ca us | 14. März 2017

Will it kneed, and fluff, or fold?

Red Sage ca us | 01. April 2017

Please, someone, anyone... Direct me to video of someone posting top ranking lap times at Le Mans, Monte Carlo, or Nürburgring by drifting through every turn. Surely, such evidence must exist.