Forums

Move shifter to center console?

Move shifter to center console?

Is it too late to have the shifter/ selector in the center console between the seats in the front? I'm not a big fan of having it behind the steering wheel.
Thoughts?

Carl Thompson | 20. März 2017

OK, I'll make sure it gets done.

KP in NPT | 20. März 2017

I love not having it on the center console. I won't let them move it. ;-)

topher | 20. März 2017

Way too late. Petition for that on the model Y, and you might still have a chance, but hurry.

Thank you kindly.

JeffreyR | 21. März 2017

It's drive by wire so no need for big, heavy shifters.

Have you tried the Model S or Model X? I cannot recommend enough that you make a test drive reservation. My wife and I made a date night out of it (hit Demassi's afterwards if you are in Houston). You'll see why the owners above are a little snide. Because what you are asking for makes no sense.

KP in NPT | 21. März 2017

Shifters in the middle seem so ancient now. One of my favorite things about our tesla, which has no center console, is that the console isn't there. If they made it an option for the model 3 (which is unlikely) I would not get it. I love having the open space. And I definitely don't want any shifter there. Since there is no transmission there is no need for a shifter. The D/N/R/P doesn't even need to be a stalk. they could do it with buttons or center screen controls. I wonder if that is a regulation of some sort?

jordanrichard | 21. März 2017

ofawee, the "shifter" in any modern automatic is purely for esthetics. There is no longer a physical connection between the "shifter" and the transmission. In other words, it is no longer needed and it's an additional part which mean additional cost.

DTsea | 21. März 2017

no thanks.

sosmerc | 21. März 2017

A good example is the new Chrysler Pacific Hybrid. It uses a dial on the dash to select "gears". I guess it might be better to call it a "mode switch".

ofawee | 21. März 2017

I thought it'd be too late. I know it's not necessary to have it, I just got used to it I guess. I did my test drive with the model s and didn't notice it, but then again it was just a few awesome minutes and I was having way too much fun to notice. I'll talk to Elon about it, maybe for the Y... Lol. I hate the dial option so much it would be a deal breaker...

SUN 2 DRV | 21. März 2017

OP: You left out the reasons you feel it would be better on the center console... If you explained yourself better we might be able to understand and comment more usefully.

I have an early MS and I love where it is located... the turn signal and cruise levers, not so much...

Badbot | 21. März 2017

OK but if the console is an option that you do not order you might have trouble going anywhere.

Tarla's Driver | 21. März 2017

Putting D/R/P/N into the touch screen would mean you couldn't drive with gloves. It probably also violates some regulations. You need to be able to quickly switch from drive to reverse and back in a parking lot, so a physical control is the right choice. The stalk on the current cars seems to work just fine. Moving to a center console physical gear shift would be a ridiculous waste of space.

Garyeop | 21. März 2017

Does this mean I can get mine with a bench seat in front? It would remind me of the truck of my youth...but the gun rack wouldn't fit.

sosmerc | 21. März 2017

The "shift on the steering column is so old school".......

jordanrichard | 22. März 2017

Tarla's Driver, actually the new Lincoln Continental has it's "gear" selector on the center screen. Essentially an electronic version of the push button selector seen on some cars in the 1950's.

Carl Thompson | 22. März 2017

My Coda electric car had a rotary dial as its gear (or mode) selector. Very similar to Land Rovers and Jaguars.

Carl

Sleepydoc1 | 22. März 2017

My old '63 Plymouth station wagon had a push button gear selector to the left of the steering wheel. Matching set of buttons for the heater and fan to the right. Of course, parents bought it new, I was the 3rd child to own this prized 0-50 in 8 minute (downhill with tailwind) speedster. Last saw it as it drove away 30 years ago.

Garyeop | 23. März 2017

What about voice activated?

Badbot | 23. März 2017

ENGAGE!

alphacompton | 24. März 2017

Voice activation: Alright Autobots, I mean Teslas, MOVE OUT!

TheChad | 24. März 2017

Flux capacitor! Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.

KP in NPT | 24. März 2017

Good one, @badbot. ;-)

carlk | 24. März 2017

Why? You don't really need to shift except once when you start to drive and once when you're done driving.

alphacompton | 24. März 2017

Can't we just plug in our Xbox/Playstation controllers in the USB port? That might solve everything ;)

IPv6Freely | 24. März 2017

The shifter on my MB C400 is where the windshield wiper controls usually are on most other cars. I like it there, personally.

Tarla's Driver | 24. März 2017

calrk: If you don't buy the AutoPilot features or for some reason are parking manually, you many need to do a lot of shifting. If you pull too far into an intersection and need to back up, if it's a slow process to shift into reverse, that's a safety issue. For example, if you have to take off your gloves to use the touch screen, I wouldn't think that would be safe.

topher | 24. März 2017

" if you have to take off your gloves to use the touch screen, I wouldn't think that would be safe."

Side note: if you wear gloves that don't work with the touch screen, get some that do. Regardless of what is on that screen, you will be safer if you can operate it without removing your gloves.

Thank you kindly.

carlk | 24. März 2017

@Tarla's Driver

Not sure what you're talking about. One of my Tesla's does not have AP and the other does. I don't have any issue when I need to shift with either. Can not be any easier than to push the stalk up or down to shift between D and R. Even easier to put it in P. And don't know what this has anything to do with glove or touch screen either.

@JeffreyR
"Have you tried the Model S or Model X? I cannot recommend enough that you make a test drive reservation."

The problem I've often seen here is many people want to make design suggestions but have absolutely zero idea of how Tesla cars are actually designed. This is one on the very top of the stupid thread list.

jordanrichard | 24. März 2017

Where are people living that they get frost bite by removing their glove for a moment to touch the screen.....? Pre-heat the car and you don't need to be wearing gloves in the car................

topher | 24. März 2017

@carlk
"Not sure what you're talking about."

You have lost track of the conversation. Tarla's Driver was talking about the hypothetical situation you raised where the shifter functionality was moved to the center console. Thus, no stalk.

Thank you kindly.

Red Sage ca us | 25. März 2017

Hmmm... I grew up with cars that used column shifters. Though my Uncle George's 1972 El Camino used a cool console shifter that seemed rather futuristic when I was a kid. By my early teens I had learned to drive a pickup truck with manual shifter. That always felt more like operating a machine than driving. The way Tesla handles the P-R-N-D functions seems rather straightforward and simple. I only wonder how quickly it responds to do a J-Turn. Otherwise, it's just fine.

bigd | 25. März 2017

Red Sage "By my early teens" Now I am wondering if you are really from the south, all southern I know tell me they learned to drive when they were 5.

Red Sage ca us | 25. März 2017

bigd: In case you hadn't figured it out, I moved to the South when I was 8. I had nowhere to go but church or school most of the time, when not working on the farm. And I knew how to drive -- an automatic. Only the tractor was manual, and my Granddad or Uncles operated that when needed. The manual pickup didn't arrive on the premises until after I was a teenager.

Badbot | 25. März 2017

jordanrichard | March 24, 2017

Where are people living that they get frost bite by removing their glove for a moment to touch the screen.....? Pre-heat the car and you don't need to be wearing gloves in the car................

We all live in a yellow submarine at the bottom of Lake Nitrogen.

brando | 27. März 2017

Edsel had push buttons for automatic transmission in the center of the steering wheel - now that was futuristic!
Also seemed dumb, but then I never got to actually drive one (passenger only).

How would paddles work? Not so well? flip between 4 options? PRDN ?

How about a thumb wheel on the steering wheel? Perhaps the lever on the column is just fine.

brando | 27. März 2017

Edsel had push buttons for automatic transmission in the center of the steering wheel - now that was futuristic!
Also seemed dumb, but then I never got to actually drive one (passenger only).

How would paddles work? Not so well? flip between 4 options? PRDN ?

How about a thumb wheel on the steering wheel? Perhaps the lever on the column is just fine.